Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

cable modem

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by scrim67, Sep 18, 2009.

1. scrim67

scrim67 New Member

For the past 3 years I've been accessing the Internet via a cable modem setup in my home using a wireless router.

I am experimenting now using a Verizon aircard USB 760 I just bought yesterday.

My observations after one day is that the Verizon card is very good and my experience vs the cable modem is so far very comparable.

I went to speakeasy.com to test the speeds and it showed that via the cable modem my download speed was about 5600 kbps but the Verizon aircard was about 1200 kbps.

This appears to be a large difference even though it real life applicaitons I hardly noticed.

I have a 30 day trial with this Verizon aircard.

Fyi, my wireless router is about 3 years old so if I bought a new one would my speed be much different than 5600 kbps?

I'm wondering whether to stick with EVDO thru Verizon or stay with my cable modem setup.

Any feedback appreciated.

Scrim

2. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    Well, you could take your router out of the circuit, and hook up the cable modem to your laptop's Ethernet RJ-45 port. Before you do this, be sure you know how to reset the cable modem, since they expect to work with only one MAC address. (Or perhaps you used a router setup option to copy the laptop's MAC address from the LAN side to the WAN side of the router.)

That way you'd know whether your router was slowing things down significantly. Who is your cable company, and what market are you in?
    That's a matter for you to juggle price, portability (if needed), and bandwidth caps. VZW's is 5 GB, a cable company's might be 250 or 125 GB per month.

COtech

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...