Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Buying phones from Authorized dealers VS. 7 Eleven and other convenience stores.

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by CellguyNY, Dec 16, 2001.

1. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

I have come across the issue lately that more and more people who should be selling coffee and cigarettes are getting into the phone business, i don't want to sound like an ahole or anything but i believe you should stick to your own business at selling food items and leave the phones to the people who know what they are doing. I believe this for one main reason when you buy a phone from lets say 7 eleven the guy just sells you the phone and explains nothing to you where the dealer does wit every knook and cranny like every dealer should, but the thing that gets on my nerve the most is when people buy from these places (cheaper price) they have a problem and they go to 7 eleven to straighten it out and they send them to me, my response usually never changes at least for this season when i am busy, go to 7 eleven and bring it back its not my fault your an impulse buyer and don't find out details about everything, but these things should be regulated, you don't see or here me selling coffee and donuts at my job and if i wanted to do that i would have applied for a job at dunkin donuts or something, but this seriously has to stop and this is a message for future customers don't trade off price for the quality of service you are getting because if you have a problem the dealer's job in order to get his commission is to help you the best he can so you don't cancel where as these guys just sell the phone and don't care if they cancel because they work for a franchise and they can make up that money in a day or two.

Somebody do something
    CellguyNY

2. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

If you haven't figured out yet, I work at a electronics store, no not a big chain, one private store, and my main job is cell phones and satelites.
    Well the owner of my store also owns a few gas stations. One of his gas stations has a carwash and a shop. He has setup a a small booth in the shop to sell cell phones. This could posibly be the case with some of the shops you see selling cell phones.

3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Perhaps a "reasonable balance" would be, as Dobby eludes to, having personnel that are trained and qualified to sell the phones. Problem is, the reality seems to be that at times, you can't even find trained personnel at the carrier-owned stores. I can't tell you how many times I've "educated" the sales people working at carrier-owned and VAR stores that don't know the product line, its features, or the all the plan alternatives.

Some have gotten indignant when I tell them something different from what they understood to be the facts. My response is usually to calmly leave, go onto the web, print the "facts" and then return. Of course, for ATT, this wouldn't work right now as far as their plans go. They haven't updated their website.

Recently, when I bought my Allure, the store I purchased at had web-enabled terminals. They hadn't even heard of the upcoming Nokia 6360 so I showed them a picture on the web. The same goes for Verizon and the LG-TM510 (now renamed VX1). No one at two Verizon-owned stores had even heard of the phone nor had their web sales force.