Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Business Antenna

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by zeeker, Jun 29, 2002.

1. zeeker

zeeker Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    Hi gang,

I'm new to the forum and I must say it is a good one. Learned alot here in just a 1/2 hour of browsing. Now I pose my question.

I can't get a signal in the building I work in. The company has this type of WAP device that supposidly allows the signal to be distributed on the floor, which it does but not for my device. I us VS and am unable to profit from this "internal antenna" because I'm GSM. Does anyone know of any inexpensive devices that I can purchase to enchace my signal.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Hey Zeeker, you following me arround to all the forums I visit? lol, if you can't remember where you have seen my name and icon it is at the OOL form at DSLR. To my knoledge there is nothing that will work well with getting a signal inside a building. Lets see any other response if anyone found something.

3. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Nothing that I know of

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. zeeker

zeeker Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    hehe. I knew that was you. Wanted to see if you'd say something. This antenna works well with Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, Nextel, but no Voicestream. I'm right on the edge of getting a signal and in fact I do get a call. Once I do though it breaks up and I lose the call altogther. I was looking into those "internal antennas" even if it would increase my signal by a bar, but I hear that that is a scam. I need a dam signal in this place. I'm in a call center and don't have a DID or vmail.

I need my PHONE!!!!!!

5. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

If you phone has an internal antena you may want to switch to a phone with an external one. The external may give the phone that little extra you need. Which phone do you have?

Edit: Also, do you have a link to this antena or know the name of it?

6. zeeker

zeeker Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    dobby10,

the antenna is an avaya antenna and I couldn't get a model number. But with that being said, why is it that other providers get 4-5 bars and I get squat. For example, I went to the gym in new brunswick and my phone states no service (have service outside building), meanwhile everyone else are chatting away on there sprint or verizon phones. I know GSM is not the widely distributed but I can get 5 bars outside and then move inside and get nada!

7. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

It's just the frequency that GSM uses in the US. They use the 1900 MHz PCS signal, which does not easily penetrate through buildings. It's funny that you say that Sprint PCS customers are also using their phone in that 'gym,' because they use the same frequency as Voicestream does, but I beleive CDMA towers are more powerful though. CDMA is what Sprint, Verizon, and many other providers use. I believe the signal factor depends on other unknown things too, because there are places where I get a signal and my friends with Verizon and Sprint phones don't get a signal. Also, some of those people you see talking may be talking on analog, not digital. An analog signal goes through like everything in its pathway. Analog lacks features such as messaging and caller-id, and stuff like that though. Analog also lacks sounds quality, something that some providers lack too.

It's just something that I have grown to live with. I have had Voicestream for almost two (2) years, and I have just accepted that my phone doesn't pick up signal in many places that other provider's phones do pick up. I just know that my phone and service is better. GSM delivers better call/sound-quality than other providers. This is almost a fact, though many do try to argue it different.

8. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    ^^ That is the stupiest thing I have ever heard on here. "I have just accepted that my phone doesn't pick up signal in many places that other provider's phones do pick up. I just know that my phone and service is better." Yeah, worse coverage and you have to put up with that but the service is better, please.

9. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

That's not "worst coverage," that is coverage in a building. All I have to do is walk over near a window, and I get coverage. But if you read the whole dang post, I said that I get signal in some places that my firends' who have Verizon and Sprint PCS don't get coverage.

10. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Also keep in mind those inside may be running on Analog signals which penetrate buildings better. With GSM there is no analog, just digital.

11. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Usually the problem is that the signal outside the gym is not that strong to penetrate the gym. I know, you said you get 5 bars outside the gym, but you can't rely on that to say that you have a strong signal. Some phones display a full signal strength even though it is only medium strength. That's just the design of the phone. When you have medium strength signal strength may vary a lot with positioning and may be weak or may get strong by just moving a couple of feet. Now, when you go indoors, what is weak outside becomes no signal inside and what was medium becomes weak (at least in concrete or steel buildings). At this point your phone has a harder time trying to find the tower and may give you no service most of the time even if there is a marginal signal. This has nothing to do whether it is GSM, CDMA or whatever. Any RF technician can tell you that.

Also, it has to do a lot with positioning, I bet that if you experiment a bit you may find spots inside where you will get a signal. I know in my house I can be in one end of my bedroom and get just one bar and move to another corner and get full signal.