Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Building a homemade repeater for CDMA

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by BubbaBIIcdm9500, Apr 29, 2003.

1. BubbaBIIcdm9500

BubbaBIIcdm9500 New Member

OK, this might sound kinda ghetto, but I want to build a repeater for my room since it has a pretty bad dead spot. I hear that repeaters are these passive type antennas that channel; external signals into the insides of buildings/cars. I know i can get one for my car for like $12 here In NJ and was wondering if it would be possible to just simply modify this kit so it would bring the signal into my room. I have VWS (CDMA) and have no concept of wireless theory/physics (so bear with me) I am was also thinking about just sticking an antenna out my window with a wire running into my house which would be attached to that antenna so that a signal can be piped in (???) Anyone ever hear of this being done? Is it possible? I very often get droped calls in my room cause it has a dead spot... there are no bars on the fone in certain spots except for when Im standing next to the window.
    [​IMG]

2. i27e

i27e Member

no not kinda ghetto, REAlLY ghetto. but im actually very interested in the answer to this question but i cant help. sorry

3. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Yuo can actually get an external antenna kit for your phone. I hope Bobolito checks in to point you to the site he pointed me to.

4. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    thats right you can get an external antenna that might help, however i dont have the sight. email bobolito he will be able to point you where you need to be

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It is better not to modify existing products as they are very sensitive and the precision needed to get cellular reception equipment working is very high. You can end up rendering it useless. It is better you buy a product that is appropriate for your needs for better results. You may get away with a simple antenna by your window, but that requires that your phone is constantly attached to the antenna cable. First, find out if your phone has a connector for an external antenna. Second, find "the sweet spot". This is the specific point in your indoor location where the signal is strongest. This is where you want to install your external antenna. These antennas are inexpensive. If you are in NJ using Verizon, you need an 800Mhz antenna. If you are using an Audiovox 9500, you can find an external antenna and the necessary adapters for your phone at http://www.alternativewireless.com/audiovox/Audiovox-9500-accessories.html. If you can't find what you need from their website, just call their toll-free number. There's a good chance they can help you find what you need.

Now, if you want to get more sophisticated and want to install a repeater, then get your wallet ready because these are not cheap. While a repeater will give you the freedom of not being attached to an antenna cable, repeaters are much harder to install and require some skill.

You may find this product useful which works on 800Mhz systems:
    http://www.antenna.com/repeaters/cellkit.html

You may also browse the AlternativeWireless site for other antenna products and adapters, but whatever you do, please DON'T buy that internal antenna sticker! It doesn't work [​IMG]

Another alternative you have is if you are not in a contract, consider trying another carrier. A lot of times it is just better to switch carriers rather than forcing the one you have to work. The only way to find out which one will work best in your home is to give them a try. Go to their store (T-Mobile, AT&T, Cingular, Nextel, Sprint) and ask if you can try their service for a few days. You'd only pay for the minutes you use and you should be able to return the phone within the trial period with no penalties if the service is no good for you.

Good Luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. BubbaBIIcdm9500

BubbaBIIcdm9500 New Member

Wow...thanks for the info bobolito! That helped ALOT!!!![​IMG]

7. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hey, those antenna booster stickers seal up envelopes just fine!! They do work for something!

8. northform

northform Bronze Senior Member

Personally, I'm a fan of repeaters. They give you an easy, if expensive, way to get better siganl. Realistically, if you are putting one in your car, an extra $400 isn't that much (I doubt that you could find one for $12). Same thing if you have just bought a house. Plus, it will still work if you switch providers (as long as they operate on the same band or you have a dual-band repeater). Generally, repeaters work with one or more of the following frequency bands: 806-821MHz and 851-866MHz (Nextel); 824-849MHz and 869-894MHz (Cellular); or 1850-1910MHz and 1930-1990MHz (PCS).

An easy way to think of a repeater is as a makeshift tower. It basically takes the signal from the tower, amplifies it, and transmits it to the phone and takes the signal from the phone, amplifies it, and transmits it to the tower.

I don't own one, but I sure would love to[​IMG]. If you're rich, go for one. If not, an external antenna or another company might be the way to go.

9. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    a repeater in your car ? Interesting idea....

10. mike015

mike015 New Member

As for the repeater for the car. I am serously thinking of getting one, just have to figure out how to get my wife to buy into the idea.

about the amp
    Wilson cellular repeater

a place that sells 'em
    Antenna guy

probably going to run $400-500 for the amp, inside antenna, outside antenna.

Mike