Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Broke down and Bought a Tilt

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows Mobile Phones' started by RadioFoneGuy, Aug 4, 2008.

1. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    I finally did it and bought a tilt! I have cheated on my trusted companion for 12 years, NOKIA.

I got an amazing deal on it so I couldnt turn it down. I have to buy all of my phones outright due to keeping my $49 unlimited plan thru Dobson. I pickuped up the phone from a AT&T dealer which sold me the phone and a 1meg memory card for $420 and no sales tax.

This done so far.

Call AT&T for unlock code, they no longer give same day codes and 4 days now and i still dont have it.

I have flashed Hard SPL 1.1 boot loader and a new radio set and unlocked the phone my self with about an hours research and 5 mins worth of work.

Loaded HTC Home Theme which has bigger icons and makes things easier and requires stylus less. I put a short cut for Field test on the launcher. The home theme sucked at first because its transparent and goes over what ever your Today screen is. So after some playing I had to download a programm to change the tool bars and start menu colors. For the black back ground I use the camera and put my finger over the lense and saved image to destop.

Loaded Hue changer, this program lets you change title bars, background etc. All the stuff you take for granted on a PC like right clicking and changing appearances.

After alot of searching for a decent Engineer mode I found there really isnt any. There is a built in Field test but doesnt show Cell ID and the order doesnt make sense.

I download a file called Ril which will take a snapshot of the radio and tell you what Cell Id you are on but is a 3 step process, I also have a short cut on HTC home.

Side note most phones are -84db for full bars while the Tilt is -81db for full bars.

My first impressions.

Great phone, lots of potential with a ton of online support for Hacks. Flashing to the memory card is sweet and simple. Cons to the phone are it requires the stylus to much as I have it set up. Call quality is good. The buttons and keyboard work fairly well. The on/off button is recessed to much and a pain as the screen goes to sleep in 30 secs. There is way to much AT&T Bloatware and every time I turn around the thing is trying to connect to Media Net.
    The OS gets alittle slow and laggish. The Wifi is sweet but needs tweaking so that it is the preference over EDGE.

Next to do.

Change Dialer to larger buttons.
    Update the close button for finger use, same with the slider/scroll.
    Manually configure Dobson MMS and Wap settings.
    Figure out how to make the Data connection prefere Wifi over EDGE
    Find a stand alone Map program similar to google maps where I can make custom maps with towers plotted and use the GPS. I would prefere not use a data connection in conjuction with the map programm, similar to Delorome on a PC.
    Kaiser Tweak
    Debating updating Rom but havent found one that doesnt scare me, almost all of them have tons of updates that claimed they fixed this bug or that and some things still may not work.
    Apply patch to HTC Home Live Weather, it only supplie info about major cities. The GUI is cool it show the temp and a sun icon, clouds, rain ETC.
    Apply Patch to allow You Tube video, currently only allow WMV files.
    Install Black Berry Connect so it synchs with my black berry account and I wont have to carry so many devices and chargers. Draw back to Black Berry Connect is if it is syncing on Data it forces voice calls to go to voice mail, I would assume it would be the opposite.
    Debating other options for my Work Email.

I added pics but my Nokia takes crappy pics in low light.

Attached Files:

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Congratulations on your new toy... You did a lot of the changes I did to mine... I think you would like Ultimate Launch as well...

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yah there is alot you can do to this device and you dont have to activate it in the store.

I only wish they made a decent Field Test as its something I use alot.

A Symbian Emulator would be nice so I could run my Nokia Field Test software which is awesome (if a cricket farts near a tower I will find it) lol

they make emulators to put WM on Symbian, Palm on WM and Symbian but nothing plays nice with WM devices.

My main goal is to make it less stylus dependant and fix the Glitchs AT&T put on it that the cousin device Kaiser doesnt suffer from.

I have been staying up to 2am in the morning like when I was a Kid and I got my first Atari.
    XDA is so massive and full of crap to try out. I can never find the same page twice.

4. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Yeah, its like a library organized by whatever book was touched last. Forums are fine for discussions, but poor for software releases and mods.

5. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Do you have "HTC Enlarge Start Menu.cab"? That's great. I hardly ever need my stylus after I installed that.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I will look into that. I was looking at Kaiser Tweek and Schaps Tweaker and it look like those will fix alot.

What dialer did you use? All the ones I have been looking at lose some funcitonality depending on the base dialer your using. The one on it isnt bad I just want to make the buttions bigger and make the Contacts easier to browse. The alphabetic buttons is all I need to change.

If the Iphone would have been an open device and not regulated like a toilet paper line in 1980's communist Russia I would have tried it. IMO if I buy a device outright, its my device plain and simple. Only thing the iphone has is alittle sharper screen resolution and it more user friendly out of the box and some of the apps are sweet, but not worth it to me to pay $199 and a month of service than pay a $175 ETF then Unlock and jailbreak.

7. spleck

spleck Tool

My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    My wife has iContacts on her Wing that gives you an iPhone-esque contacts list.

8. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I loaded up the icontacts and its sweet. It has a couple of glitchs. if you show all contacts it makes the delete contact button disapear. But there is a icon that looks like outlook express, if you click it, it take you into WM contacts so you can modify that way.

I down loaded Schaps Tweeker and fixed the sleep mode and made the scroll bars bigger.

I still need to figure out how to make the top and bottom title bars alittle bigger so the X and any menus are easier.

I put on the HTC large start menu which works good.

I need to find a different dialer skin. The HTC one is big but I want some different ICONS.
    I want the same functionality of the stock WM6 but with bigger buttons.

There alot of dialers but all seem to have bugs. Redial doesnt work, smart dialer doesnt work, call waiting and the list goes on for bugs on the skins.

I have touchflow enable thru Schaps and its sweet, just gotta remember dont eat greasy foods.

9. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I've tried some big button dialers, but most of them disable or interfere with the smartdialing features.

10. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I don't know of any way or program that will do that, wish their was. The screen on my Touch is flush with the case, it dose help in hitting the items on those bars quite a bit.

11. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    after playing with a few dialers I found one that works.

I have played with a few iphone nockoffs the best of those is the manillaidialer but lacked redial, smart dial and history put you in the the WM6 history tiny format.

I installed the HTC Mogul big dialer cab and add a HTC diamond dialer for GSM and all the funcionality is there with dozens of skins possiblities. History now used the WM larger format and the contacts buttons were flawless with the icontact. I also add the vibrate keypad which is a nice touch.

heres a link to the dialer.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=403484

12. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wirelessly posted (8900a/1.2 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.6))

testing wap edge seems slower than normal. I am still using PIE thou.

13. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I like vibrate keypad too... I like the tactile feedback I get when dialing.

-Jay