Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Bobolito?? - New Nextel Panels On RT 80 Pole....?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by MeatChicken, Jul 5, 2005.

1. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Bobolito -
    Perhaps you know ....
    The MonoPole off exit 63 Lodi, West side of Rt 80 ....
    A new (4th) carrier has just added their panels low below the other 3.
    VZW is at the top, & Sprint & T-Mobl are below VZW, now there are a new set of White rectagular panels below them, they kind of look like 1900 Panels, but I have been told NexTel 850 uses similar.
    I am guessing it's got to be Nextel, cause there isn't any other carrier besides Cingular, who isn't on that pole, & would not be using this type panels .... any thougts??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I'll check it out and let you know. I know which tower you're talking about.

***UPDATE***

I went there early this evening and verified my suspicions that it is Cingular panels. Nextel does not use those type of panels. Their panels are not flat and use reflectors behind each panel. They also have 4 panels per sector. This Cingular site has two white flat panels per sector, one for 850 and the other for 1900.

I got off exit 63 and took Essex St while my phone was showing -38dB to about -45dB while in the area. It has both 850 and 1900Mhz channels as usual. Service used to be a little weak around that area, especially when driving down Market St in Saddle Brook. My doctor's office is about a mile from the tower and I remember I used to have weak service in there. Today I checked and got about -80dB where it used to be about -95dB in the past.

Cingular has been taking good care of North NJ lately. I have seen many Cingular sites go up since late last year and many problems and trouble spots have been fixed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 bobolito, Jul 5, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2005
  3. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Bobo did Cingular resolved their Coverage Issue in Hasbrouck Heights?

4. MeatChicken

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Thanks for the update :)
    Cing/ATT needed a site there, I work not far from that pole, & only CING had a weak signal in the immediate area, too bad there was no more room above, they are very low on the pole.
    I had noticed yesterday upon closer inspection that those 2 white panels were in fact different from each other, one thinner than the other.

** So are all new CING sites in the area 2 white panels? I know of their older sites that use 3, 2 grey 800, & 1 1900 per sector.

Side note - An interesting thing about the VZW panels that are located at the top of this exit 63 pole, (4 per sector), is that, unlike most other VZW sites in the area, the 2 outer 800 panels are different styles for each of the 3 sectors.
    This was done/changed a little over a year ago when they added the 2 inner 1900 panels(which are the same across all 3 sectors). The sector facing Maywood / Hksck were left with the original standard grey "double vertical Sharkfin" type, while the sector facing 80W/Saddle Brook was changed to a White, flatter version of the double fin panels. The sector faceing into Lodi was given the Solid grey vertical rectangle type ( which many other site's 800 panels were changed to). ...& a red-Tail Hawk often likes to fly in & land in the top "basket" between the VZW panels, probably because the radiation gives him super powers.. ;)

5. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    It's funny how it works in the East. One carrier will squeak by with a tower approval after a NIMBY battle and then every other carrier jumps right on it as well.

6. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The weakest area for Cingular in this area are several spots along Rt 4/Broadway from Elmwood Park all the way to Fort Lee. This is one road where T-Mobile is actually stronger than Cingular. Starting with the Kmart in Elmwood Park where there is barely any signal indoors and my phone switches to T-Mobile. Outside the Kmart signal is around the -90's. Although I haven't had any major issues while driving, but garbling does occur due to the weak signal along the way. Cingular really needs several towers along Rt. 4/Broadway.

I remember just passing the Jack Daniels car dealership signal is in the -90's so if you go indoors you can lose it. Also, the spot mentioned in the article posted a couple of days ago by Queen Anne Rd. is a weak spot, but it is not dead. I got as low as -101dB in that spot, the call I was on garbled but did not drop. This has always been like that since I was on TDMA.

7. jones

The other thing Nice about Cingular
    is their Automatic Drop Call Credit
    in their Billing.

Which other carriers don't even DO.

8. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Is this the new pro-Cingular FACT we
    are going to repeat over and over
    again in how many threads? :rolleyes:

9. jones

this the first time
    Automatic Drop Call Credit
    in their Billing,
    was posted HERE.

How Could this a PRO CINGULAR FACT
    We talking about their DEAD ZONE.

bUE WE COULD repeat it
    if that's your request.

10. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    To Mr. Jones Fanboy:

That is only a feature of Cingular Blue (former AT&T Wireless) so it doesn't apply to the 40+ million Cingular orange users. Plus, it only gives you one minute credit every time you drop a call. With Sprint, although it is not automatic, I think they give you a 50-cent credit for dropped calls, but you have to call in to get it.

By the way, here's the tower we're all talking about:
    http://gallery.wirelessadvisor.com/...orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&cutoffdate=-1

http://gallery.wirelessadvisor.com/displayimage.php?imageid=1050

11. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yep with Sprint we can call in and say "dropped call" to Claire and it automatically credits 50 cents. She understands those words very well so there's never any misunderstandings. lol

12. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I wonder how many times you have called in and say "dropped call" pretending there was a dropped call. ;)

13. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I'm actually very surprised Sprint is still doing that 50-cent per dropped call credit. I believe you can earn up to $10 per billing month. That's quite a lot!
    I remember using this feature quite often, but I did actually have those dropped calls...I have to admit that this is very generous on Sprint's part. :)

14. jones

You mean i get it and you don't. He he he
    This is the main reason i never migrated to Cingular,
    i also get early Nights that starts at 7 PM with
    no additional charge.
    Well, you get rollover Minutes and i don't..

15. MeatChicken

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Bobolito: Just a correction to your description of the Photo ... ( Sorry to nitpick :) ):
    The Pole is located in Lodi, not Saddle Brook. That entire side of Essex Street is Lodi, from West of the pole from the Main St/Rochelle Ave intersection, east over RT 17 & to the Dunkin Donuts/Home depot. (Across Essex st from the pole is Rochelle park).
    Saddle brook doesn't start until futher west, over the Saddle River where the name changes to Market Street ( there isn't an Essex st in Saddle Brook). The Saddle Brook diner is the furthest east address in Saddle Brook.

16. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    hehe...thanks for the clarification. It is so hard to tell which town you are in around that area. Just around the corner you also have Rochelle Park too.

By the way, I've been to that diner so many times! ;)

17. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I'm guilty of that, I admit. :D

18. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yeah I get $10 off my monthly bill that way. ;)

19. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    oooohhhh! So that's the $10 discount you always keep bragging about! huh? ;) And you claim to have "connections" :D