Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Blacksburg, VA coverage

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by Gafoto, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Gafoto

Gafoto New Member

I'm gonna be a freshman at tech this fall and I'm shopping for a Razr. Question is, Cingular or T-Mobile? They both claim coverage and I've read about some people being well covered by T-Mobile but what about Cingular?

2. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I wouldn't use T-Mobile in Blacksburg. I've heard they aren't too good in that area and from what I see on T-Mobile's Personal Coverage Check website the coverage looks to be pretty crappy in that area. I'll post some maps below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    T-mobile and Cingular are horrible in Blacksburg.

Verizon, US Cellular, and Sprint are the only way to go. T-mobile only has three towers in the town and Cingular's network here is the old suncom network which is a disaster.

If I had to pick the lesser of the two evil's I'd say T-mobile... it doesn't experience quite the network overload like suncom... however, it doesn't have as big of a coverage area.

Do yourself a favor and forget about the moto razr.. what good is a slick looking phone if it can't put out a call or get service?

4. z00m

z00m Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    ex-Suncom/Cingular
    GSM coverage in central & west VA is really poor compared to the other carriers.

Can't you pick some other carrier like Wumpusva suggests?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Get a CDMA Moto e815 or LG VX8100; you'll probably love one of those phones, plus coverage will be better. What good does a RAZR that shows "NO SERVICE"?

6. z00m

z00m Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    ex-Suncom/Cingular
    Another idea, look at univ sites to see which carrier is advertising/sponsoring campus stuff. Or even ask the freshmen help office.
    Maybe someone here knows what carrier the univ staff/faculty belong to?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    GSM in Southwest and Central Virginia in general is poor. By the way I wouldn't recommend Sprint either for the Roanoke area. It's a former affliate area and still needs some work. Sprint would be a better choice than Cingular or T-Mobile but they still aren't as good as Verizon or US Cellular.

In my opinion Verizon and US Cellular are the only two good choices for wireless service in that area. Personally I think Verizon would be your best choice since they are a national provider with good coverage in that area.

8. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Here's Verizon coverage to compare with T-Mobile

Attached Files:

9. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
  10. Kalimotxo

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    So at this point we've narrowed it down to USCC or Verizon --

One problem with Verizon is that they don't have any exchanges local to Bedford, VA... which appears to be your hometown. The closest exchanges are out of Roanoke... which are 520, 521, 529, 525, 797, or 798. Are any of these numbers local for you to call from your home phone?

USCC has exhanges local to Bedford City & County.

If it really doesn't matter to you then I suggest getting an exchange out of Radford, Va (which is local to all of Montgomery County including town of Bburg)... this way you can call from dorm phones. They are 230, 239, and 250 for Verizon and 320, 392, and 357 for USCC.

Maybe that was too much information. Maybe I've been drinking a little too much tonight. :loony: Oh well... I hope that helps out...

11. Kalimotxo

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    go Hokies!!!!!!111!!!!

12. Gafoto

Gafoto New Member

Solarex Solarah!

Ok, you guys have been excellent. I'm glad to know people out there are been willing to help.

So USCC and Verizon appear to be the options. The E815 is a nice option but my problem with signing with Verizon is that they're pretty much satan. My brother has a V710 and hes had to mess with it numerous times to get everything working the way he wants it to. Is the VX8100 crippled too?

I do want an MP3 player that works and I want the ability to get any media (ringtones, wallpapers, what-have-you) off my computer rather than paying through the nose to download them. So what are my options from either company? Another thing, I'm using an apple ibook with a bluetooth card, so bluetooth syncing with my calendar would also be nice.

13. vger

vger Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 650
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, Verizon
    Verizon is probably going to be the best choice. You'll end up finding that quite a few people have Verizon and you'll really appreciate being able to call them for free with the in-network calling feature. (Especially true since your brother already has Verizon)

14. ecks76

ecks76 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto RAZR v3 (Mine)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular
    INteresting, I've never had a problem with Cingular in Blacksburg, even inside the buildings on campus. I was a SunCom customer then, and a Cingular customer now, and visit "The 'Burg" often since I left there (especially in the fall) and have little problem in teh NRV as a whole (except maybe areas where most tech students don't go). Excellent coverage in main areas of C-burg as well as well as I-81 corridor. Even during football games I haven't had problems placing or receiving calls. Also, I'm sure what areas DO have spotty coverage will be boosted soon as Cingular gets to expanding the parts of the old SunCom network they now own.

Next time, back your statement up with some facts and first-hand observations :wink:

15. blsemp

blsemp Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Thanks for the post. Friends have told me that there Cingular service was good in Blacksburg. Without first hand obsevation I didn't want to mislead anyone.

16. ducm900s

ducm900s New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v810
    I agree. Especially about getting some facts. There is a lot of "I've heard" on this board. Whenever I see those two words...... Bottom line is Blacksburg is a money maker for all the carriers there. I don't believe you will have problems on campus or around town. The coverage in the fringe areas will vary, but VA Tech is well covered.

17. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    T-Mobile is roaming on Cingular (former Suncom I guess) in this area where they don't have coverage. It isn't on the PCC coverage maps, but a family member was in Moneta on Smith Mountain lake and said he had coverage all weekend.

18. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    While it's most likely true that Cingular would work fine around campus and the city of Blacksburg. GSM off the major interstates and cities in Southwest Virginia just sucks. Yes I know this from experience and it's one reason why I switched to Verizon. I have family in Southwest VA and I live right on the East TN/VA border. I can tell you right now there is many places in Southwest Virginia where GSM carriers are totally dead but Verizon, Alltel, and US Cellular work fine.

19. Kalimotxo

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    My first hand observations are that I lived in Blacksburg for 19 years and I used to sell suncom (now cingular) ;). I think I know a little more about the network than the average joe who has visited bburg once or twice. Yes, Cingular does work in Blacksburg. Although comparatively, it is by far not the best carrier in the area when it comes to coverage. They have giant holes in the area and coverage maps can back that up. Not to mention capacity issues around 9pm every weeknight.

20. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

MY Cingular PHone works when i was in Virginia.

21. Gafoto

Gafoto New Member

Thank you all for continuing to post, its good to hear what works and what doesn't. I'm thinking now i'll go and talk to people who are on campus constantly and see what their expierence has been with the various carriers.

22. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    That's a great addition to this thread, jones. Honestly... :rolleyes:

23. ecks76

ecks76 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto RAZR v3 (Mine)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular
    Again, this is the way SunCom set up the network... they focused on major travel routes and major cities, neglecting areas just of those major roads. However, as Cingular continues to improve their network, I'm sure some of thhose holes in Virginia will start to get filled in like other states where AT&Tingular has been for years (and set up the network they way they saw fit)

24. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    FWIW, the e815 can be seem-edited to enable full OBEX and transferring from the TF card. The same cannot be said for the 8100. Also, the e815 gets markedly better reception than the 8100. In order to hack the e815 you'll need to spend the money on a data cable and Motorola Phone Tools.

25. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    My friends Reid and Ben go there. Both are happy with Cingular and Sprint respectively. They both work well around campus. If you aren't going to the boonies (ie the areas listed with no coverage on T-Mobile), I'm sure you're fine. Those areas are extremely mountainous and rural anyway. Otherwise check out USCC or Verizon. Good luck.

26. Gafoto

Gafoto New Member

I decided to go with Cingular with a Razr. I just moved in today and so far I've gotten excellent coverage around campus. Things are a bit dodgey in other parts but nothing really terrible. For some odd reason I get one or two completely dead spots in the middle of buildings. In my room I get perfect coverage but I went 6 rooms down and I got zero bars. Odd. All in all I'm very pleased with the service as I got coverage at my home, which is far out in the boonies and great coverage in Bedford. On the trip down I had full coverage along the entire route. Also, I'd like to note that free MP3 ringtones and my own free custom wallpapers are a big plus. The ability to transfer pictures without paying (or hacking my phone) is definetly nice. Also, the Razr syncs with my computer and automatically hooks itself up with my address book and calendar. Very good job by motorola on the phone. Thanks for all the advice guys.

27. blsemp

blsemp Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Thanks for the update.
    :highclap: :highclap:

28. FluvannaHoo

FluvannaHoo New Member

But do you have coverage in the important places like the bars and taverns?
    Good luck in your tenure at Hokieville.

29. pbw

pbw Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6016i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, formerly Alltel
    When did Sprint PCS buy out CFW Telephone? Sprint PCS service is contracted to affiliate Horizon PCS. Horizon in turn contracted the entire operations over to CFW Intelos (now nTelos). Sprint and Horizon have no infrastructure west of Louisa County and south of northern Augusta County (where you can pick up signals from affiliate Shentel PCS). Except for branded stores and a business office in Roanoke County Sprint PCS = nTelos.

Verizon is okay. U.S. Cellular all the way. Triton PCS had the sites but not the engineering. T-Mobile is skeletal as has been reported here, five or so sites in Montgomery County. Three of which are in Blacksburg, one in Christiansburg and one between Salem and the WFIR-AM towers (Christiansburg exit).

Nextel Partners might be an option but really the only two carriers with coverage are nTelos and U.S. Cellular. nTelos is the only one that work on I-77 west of Wytheville!

30. pbw

pbw Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6016i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, formerly Alltel
    Man, things like this make me feel old. Ahem, "Back in the day..." There were two cell towers. The GTE site ontop of Price Mountain and the tower ontop of the then Bell Atlantic central office. You were somebody important if you had a pager from Metrocall! Now I feel dated, I doubt anyone knows what a pager is.

I wonder if Big Al's is around (or closed because of gambling, again). What of Sharkey's and Prestons?