Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Blackberry Questions (where do i go)?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by kargiver, Sep 14, 2003.

1. kargiver

kargiver Member

Hi Folks,

I am in the market for a two-way pager/wireless email setup independent of my cell phone (I know, I know, why do it? Pager coverage is different than cell phone coverage. Also means I am "available" without having my cell phone on). The most common one of these is a RIM/blackberry solution. However, since this is the wireless advisor website and these services do fall under wireless technology, where do I post the appropriate questions? Don't want to tie up space here.

Thanks,
    Greg

2. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    Here is absolutely fine. What are you looking to know?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kargiver

kargiver Member

Well, any opinions as to who has the best network? I am looking to use a RIM850/950 and there are many vendors available. I am tempted to go with Cingular as it appears they have the best Massachusetts coverage. Any thoughts? I don't want to use one of the monstrous blackberrys or any other PDA. I want to be able to carry it like a pager.

Thanks,
    Greg

4. LovinIt

LovinIt New Member

Forgive the length, but I want to provide details for you...

I used the BB 950/Internet Edition for a year via Earthlink. Later, I upgraded to a 957, also on Earthlink, staying for another year or so, until I recently switched to another device. As regards the BB, I found Earthlink/device to be superb, but little nigglies ultimately took me elsewhere, as outlined below. Some quick points:

1-- I know you now look at the larger 957 as monstrous, but I promise you, it is slim and trim and will fit in any pocket. The 950, on the other hand, is a bulky little sucker. The 957 also comes with a classy leather clip-on holster, black. Somehow, unlike other clip-on's, this one does not add noticeably, in terms of girth. Your device will be secure, and I suspect you'll fall in love. You can't appreciate the diff between it and the 950 until you've spent time dealing with both screens-- the screen of the 957 is MUCH clearer/sharper in terms of resolution, plus more lines per page, both adding considerably to overall comfort in daily use. Also, the 950 uses AA or AAA (I forget) batteries, while the 957 uses a cradle for charging. I grew weary of battery replacement up the wazoo. The 957 held its charge for a week or more, despite heavy usage. Earthlink has a no-Qs-asked return policy. As between the two, I'd order the 957, since that's an unknown to you. If you hate it, simple enough to call for an exchange during the trial period (2 weeks or more, I forget-- it's been a while).

2-- 85x vs 95x: stick with the "9" version-- more apps. Not alot, but certainly more than for the "8" series.

3-- Earthlink charges just shy of $40/mo for all the email you can eat. Adding browsing is another $10. Bottom-line: I wouldn't use the browsing part if it were free. Nuff said? (gives new meaning to sllllooooowww)

I never dreamt anything could beat the BB keyboard, form factor, etc. I was wrong. I now use a T-Mobile Color Sidekick (CSK), on the data only plan ($30/mo-- all you can eat). BB/957 has the better form factor, as the CSK reminds me of the 950/bulk. CSK was supposed to be a mere trial, but I wound up cancelling the Bb account. The occasional outage, like Earthlink's, lasts only a few minutes-- no harm, no foul. As for browsing, any website is available, at a speed comparable to dialup, except it stumbles on JavaScript. Updates are over-the-air, meaning you won't get stuck at an "old" OS. CSK is now sold at Amazon.com for $169 straight, meaning no rebates to get the price (list = $299). With either one, there's a one-year commitment.

As between the BB vs the CSK, the CSK wins in my book for several reasons. CSK keyboard is fantastic-- intelligent backlighting means I can type whenever, wherever (no backlit keys on BB), and it's much more comfortable than the BB's (that shocked me!). Re: email--- with the BB, I had one address only. To change it, I had to call Earthlink. Because I didn't want to risk spam, there were some messages I would not respond to, until I could get to my laptop to use a different return address. (I use procmail, and have several addresses forwarded to the device.) With the CSK, I can use 3. One is assigned by T-Mobile, so like Earthlink, I have my preferred box forwarded there. Also like Earthlink's BB, this mail arrives immediately, without my doing anything. But I can set up 2 additional addresses, from the device itself. (They are auto-checked every 15 minutes.) When I send/respond, I always have the option of quickly selecting which "reply to" I want to use from a super-convenient drop-down list. And the kicker-- on the CSK, I can read MS doc, pdf, and a few other attachments, outta box. That's a $$ add-on for the 95x through a 3rd party. Asregards browsing capability, the ability to run Google searches, etc with the same ease and immediacy of email turned out to be much more productivity-enhancing that I imagined. Finally, this week in fact, the CSK's will be upgraded over the air. Thereafter, I'll be able to download java-based apps, further adding to my e-arsenal. Over two years, I saw only a handful of add-ons for the 95x. Sad, b/c its PIM functions exist in name only.

Note: At this writing, there is no desktop syncing with the CSK, unlike the BB. Not a problem practically, as the CSK syncs with a secure area of the manufacturer's server, which you get as part of the purchase deal. Means your data is ALWAYS and immediately backed up, wirelessly, on the assigned "Desktop Interface". Gravy!!

OK. I'm done. Best of luck and fun as you investigate your options.

5. kargiver

kargiver Member

Hi LovinIt,

Thanks for all of the advice. I looked at the CSK yesterday and I didn't like it. It felt like a brick! It is way too big for me to carry on my belt (I am a paramedic). Also, carrying the RIM 957 would also be bad as I would probably destroy it in the process of performing my job. This is one of the reasons why I don't carry a PALM (I have smoked 2 PALMS while working already). The pager-size factor seems to work well in the EMS environment. Because of these reasons (as well as a few others not described here), I am going with the RIM 950. The only other question now is the provider. For the RIM 950, all use the mobitex network so it is just a matter of price and options. I have chosen to go with Cingular. I have a 30-day no questions asked return policy so I'll get it and give it a whirl. I have already ordered it and it should be here Friday.

Once again, thanks for the help. It is much appreciated.

Greg

6. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    the cingular store managers all get the blackberrys for work use. free of charge of course. while i liked the small size and the use of email capability. the CSK color screen intrigued me more. however you actually would need a signal for it to work...tmobile wont give you that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. LovinIt

LovinIt New Member

Kewl, Greg. You're right-- features may differ a bit, but same network, box/package, etc. You'll wonder how ya made it without it! Unlike cells, I doubt if you'll run into connection/signal hassles.

EMS, in Mass.! Attorney here. Connecticut. If you want to set up forwarding in such a manner as to auto-file all BB incoming and outgoing mail in plain text files, by recipients/senders/whatever, I'll pass on my no-fuss "procmail" scheme. Give a holler via private email. (In this post-9/11 world, I'd be privileged to lend any assistance I can. No cost to you.) Oh yeah-- we can also hook it up to get ya that multiple-reply-to option, if you'd like. Remind me: I should have a stash of a few freebies I kept on a CD (somewhere) for the 950. Have a good one. [​IMG]

Either I missed today's coffee quota, or there's no mail-to link provided here. Hence, the following will be operational for a week or so, long enough for you to reach me to get my standard address if desired.
    >>>>>>>>> pgRequest-KarGiver AT dpg-law DOT com

8. kargiver

kargiver Member

Hi LovinIt,

Well, went with the RIM950 for a while and the coverage was spotty where I live. When it worked, it worked very well but I could never get a decent signal at my house (common problem with most cellular phones for me). I decided to suck it up and try a blackberry (ATT WS Blackberry 7210, color screen is kickin!!!) and I must say, IT IS FANTASTIC!!! Now I know why they call them "crackberrys." The GSM/GPRS signal penatrates my house well enough so I am always connected. It is, in a word, sweet! Even the size isn't much bigger than the RIM950 and it hugs the waistline a lot better than I would have imagined. I am hooked! My Nextel contract is up in a month so I can finally dump them. YEAH!!!!!

Thanks for the input. It really helped out a lot.

Greg

9. Ihaveaphone

Ihaveaphone New Member

why not go with the soon to market 7280 Blackberry that is also a GSM phone with GPRS? Nice little unit for sure

10. kargiver

kargiver Member

The Blackberry 7210 is a GSM phone that uses GPRS too. I can web surf just like any phone that supports GPRS on the ATTWS network. I believe the 7280 is the Cingular version of the blackberry whereas the 7230 is the T-Mobile version. There are some differences (7230 is tri-band, 7210 is dual band) but they are all quite similar.

Greg

11. kargiver

kargiver Member

Nope. I stand corrected. The 7280 is a possible quad-band GSM/GPRS Blackberry.
    Greg

12. Den26

Den26 New Member

I have a Nextel Blackberry 6510 and it works GREAT.. Sorry you are not happy with their service. I am thrilled.

13. kargiver

kargiver Member

WhenI get the service (Nextel), it is fine. The signal just constantly cuts out on me while I am on the phone and it drives me BONKERS!!! Otherwise, I would have tried the nextel Blackberry... would have been nice to condense all three of my wireless devices into 1. And I do love their direct connect...

Greg