Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Blackberries and service plans.

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by ace41690, Jun 4, 2008.

1. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    So I currently have a phone under a family plan. I am 18, the account is in my moms name and me, my brother, my mom, dad, and grandma all have a phone on the plan. we have the cheapest family plan you can get, and none of us have internet (i just have texting), and our total bill is like 120$.

I hate my current phone, and i want to get a blackberry curve. I realize this apparently means i need to add a 30$/month service plan. I discovered I can recieve a 25% discount off my bill through where I work. If i add this, the plan will actually cost less than it does now, even if i add 30$ of blackberry service. I have several questions.

1) Will sprint allow us to move the account into MY name from my moms so i can use my employee benefit? They wont honor it unless the account is in my name.

2) Can we all get new phones now with full rebates and all? its only been a year and a half since we got our last phones, and we're technically not eligible. But i remember reading that sprint changed their contract or something and that people were supposed to be able to get out of contract without ETF or anything. Is any of this true?

3) Are blackberries worth it? Does anyone have experience with the curve?

Thanks

2. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    BlackBerries are great.

As for the moving the plan into your name, it can be done, but they will run your credit. It will have to be good enough to allow you to have 5 lines.

That being said, your mom can add you as authorized ot make plan changes and put your name on the account almost as equal to hers, though it is technically still in her name. I added my girlfriend to my account and we use her job to get us a 14% discount each month even though the account in technically in my name.

If it has been a year and a half since you got phones, you will likely have to wait for months (22 months since last upgrade) to get new ones. You can check your upgrade eligibility on Sprint's website though. Sometimes it is nice and allows for earlier upgrades. :) YOu can also just try calling Sprint and asking them to allow you to get full upgrade pricing early since you are pretty close to being eligible anyway...they may or may not go for it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

3. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    the policy is that if Sprint changes their Terms of Service you have 30 days to terminate your service to get out without ETF......

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    o0o0o0o, I have a feeling it will be relatively easy to get them to let me upgrade now though. I just called them to get my employee discount thing, and theres a whole bunch of instructions and a special number you're supposed to call to get this discount. But i just called regular customer service. They didnt even make me transfer liability to my name although i am not the account holder, they just applied the discount anyway. I just told them the name of my company and that it was a 25% discount. Thing is its actually a 24% discount, but they applied 25%, which makes me think i could have just said "50%" and they would have applied it. Its like they didnt even check anything. I also got a confirmation email so the discount really has been applied. So it seems they are being very lenient, probably because they are bleeding customers like no tomorrow.

On another note with regard to blackberries, would you guys reccommend the curve or the 8830??? The curve is currently sold out. But whats the real difference between the two if any?

5. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i would say from all the reviews that the Curve is better.......the 8830 is thicker and heavier if you care about dimensions......the Curve has better key spacing.........what other stuff makes the Curve better

oh well the 8830 has the international roaming if that matters to you

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Cool! so i ordered my curve today and she gave it to me with full rebate!!! I cant wait to get it, I hate this stupid phone i have now.

7. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Are you serious? I loved the m610!

Glad you got a phone you wanted though!

8. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Glad they worked with you. I had the M610 for a few weeks it was ok but mine had alot of bugs.

9. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Ya i dont like it. As RJB said its EXTREMELY buggy. Im on my second one actually because the power plug was like loose on the first one and it wouldnt charge properly. This replacement one does the same thing. The phone freezes constantly. It will ring and no caller id will show on the front, just a little phone symbol. It gets stuck in digital roam and refuses to switch back to sprint even if i select sprint only. Its bad in low coverage areas. picture viewing is annoyingly slow. I just dont like it it has too many problems.

On a positive not it is a tough little phone though. Ive dropped it a billion times and its not completely broken yet :biggrin:

10. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Well then I think you will enjoy your curve much better then good luck.

11. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I. Love. This. Phone!

12. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Glad you got something you like!

13. ace41690

ace41690 Junior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Hero
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint should really advertise this phone more. It might not have a touchscreen, but it plays my music just like an iphone would. Therefore, I am buying an 8gig micro sd card and throwing my ipod out the window!

14. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Well, Sprint was out of stock right after the release, so I am guessing it is selling pretty well for them. Advertising may not be necessary at this point! :)