Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Bitpim vs GAGIN on a530? Instructions for Bitpim?

Discussion in 'SAMSUNG' started by bobby19711, May 26, 2003.

1. bobby19711

bobby19711 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Bitpim vs GAGIN on a530?

I was wondering which was easier to use with the a530? I have never used GAGIN before and have only used Bitpim on the LG VX4400 so I didn't have to really mess with the filesystem stuff, since I was just putting ringtones and pics on the phone. I know for GAGIN you have to use balpatch9 as well, is this the case with using Bitpim as well? I have never actually seen instructions posted on how to use Bitpim from start to finish on the a530. Can someone post instructions? I am sure there are plenty of us out there that would really appreciate it, especially if it's easier to use then GAGIN. Thanks.

2. Vince227

Vince227 Junior Member

I agree. If you are just adding ringtones and pics you may find bitpim a whole lot easier the gagin. But be warn that bitpim was designed for the 4400 even though myself and others had success uploading ringtones and pics. You have to add ring tones through log mode, your not able view phone or download phonebooks and other info like the 4400. just view files from log view then click open the directory that stores your ringer, right click then choose add a file, browse to the file and save.

3. Laboss3

Laboss3 New Member

What is btpim and gagin?

4. bobby19711

bobby19711 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks Vince. So I don't have to balpatch anything or deal with anything else at all? No renaming files to files I downloaded through GIN? Just open the folders, add files and that's it? It almost seems too easy. Do I need to download anything from Modtones or Exego to create the folders that are needed to store my pics/rings? Also, are the pics for callerid and pics for wallpaper stored in the same directory? Can someone list the what the names of the directories where I should put the pics and rings? Do they appear the same as they would in GAGIN or are they different? Thanks again for everyone's help.

5. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah, Bitpim is quite easy. Glad it works for the 530! Bobby, cool to see another Delaware person! I am tired of this weather! I presume Newark has been just as crappy as Smyrna.

6. Vince227

Vince227 Junior Member

Bobby all you need to do is just download 1 ringer from modtones and then you're good to GO. no patching, no renaming, and no deleting. HAVE FUN.

7. bobby19711

bobby19711 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Airb330, yeah the weather has been pretty bad. Especially this last weekend. Not being able to BarBQ or go down to the beach cause of the rain and cold weather wasn't cool at all on Memorial Day weekend. I think you and I are the only ones on this site from Delaware. Bitpim works great on the LG and incredibly easy to use. I am going to try it with the a530 tonight and hopefully I can just use the filesystem like Vince said and it should all work out.

Thanks Vince, I will try it and let you know how it goes.

8. bobby19711

bobby19711 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Vince or anyone that can help,

I am using Bitpim and I got the ringtones to work and also was able to upload a caller id picture, but I am struggling with getting a picture for wallpaper on the phone. I have been trying to put it in the same /brew/shared directory as the caller id pics. At first the filename was showing up with the last callerid pic that I had already uploaded. Now, I got the wallpaper on the phone after changing the pic to 24 bit instead of 16, but the colors are screwed up. Am I doing something wrong? I am using the 128x128 24bit bitmaps. I thought I should be using 16 bit, but they didn't show up at all?