Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Best Wireless Comany boston area?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by adamchew, Aug 2, 2004.

1. adamchew

adamchew New Member

Hello. I currently live in the Boston area and I am going to college next month in Worcester, MA. I need to buy a cell phone in the next few weeks and wanted to know which company you think works best in Boston and Worcester area. I am thinking about T-mobile or Cingular as they seem to have the best rate plans for me. Which has best coverage in MA? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

2. kingofgondor

kingofgondor New Member

Since you have listed Cingular and T-Mobile, are you looking for a GSM carrier? T-Mobile works great in Boston (especially in the T), but I am not sure about the Worcester area.

3. adamchew

adamchew New Member

Yeah. I guess i am interested in GSM. Does anyone know who works best in Worcester area. Is Cingular also good in boston? different opinions would be extremely helpful. Thanks

4. Sprint PCS 411

My Phone:
    Nokia 3200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Wireless GSM America
    Well from what i have heard Tmobile and Cingular have roaming aggrements up there... but i am not sure if this is still a true statement

If you like Cingular go with them you get rollover and you use Cingulars GSM network but where Cingular has not as good as coverage as ATT then you will use ATT
    and visa versa... so if you talk alot i would get Cingular (w/ rollover and you get a couple more mins for ur money vs ATT) but if you are into the txt messaging thing i would go with ATT becuase they have unlimited incoming txt messaging and .10 for outogoing.

Cingular/ATT have MUCH bigger Nationwide coverage than Tmobile but Tmobile may give you more mins than Cingular/ATT (no rollover though) depending on what plan you choose

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
  6. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Cingular is super in Boston, all over the downtown area and into the 'burps' around 495. In fact, the Mass state in general. I've driven through Worcestor, and the coverage is good, but I never went off of the main road.

Good luck

7. pcardoza

pcardoza Junior Member

We're pretty fortunate here in eastern MASS. You can bet on good coverage no matter which carrier you choose. Pick the carier with the best price/service/features for your needs and go for it.

8. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    I used both combined TDMA 800/Analog and GSM phones previously with Cingular, and had dropped calls with both phones just about everywhere in the Boston area. I thought upgrading to the GSM phone would have taken care of the dropped call problem... :rant:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. rockon83

rockon83 Junior Member

Hey, I think I can help you out. I live in Worcester for 17 years now, and am in Boston quite a bit as well. If you are looking for a GSM carrier, go with Cingular. T-Mobile simply sucks in Worcester. I tried them out 3 years ago, along with Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, and Cingular, ended up going with Cingular. I've now had Cingular for 3-1/2 years, and it's excellent. A few months ago I took a tmobile sim in a 3590, and it showed me the signal strength wherever I went, and it hadn't changed anywhere in Worcester since 3 years previously. By FAR the worst carrier in Worcester.

On the other hand, Cingular I find to be the best carrier in Worcester, with Verizon following closely at #2. Now that at&t roaming is open for cingular dead spots, the 1 main spot my phone wouldn't work in worcester gets full at&t signal (friendly's at tatnuck sq). Cingular works great in Boston too, although it relies on at&t's service a lot, which will soon enough be merged into Cingular anyways, so that doesn't really matter.

Anyways...You will be MUCH happier with Cingular than TMobile here. I've had friends with TMobile, and they all end up switching off it. It's the only carrier of the 6 that doesn't get ANY reception on my entire block.

If you tell me where you will be going to school, living, etc, I can be more specific with how the signal is on cingular, and any other carriers I know about for that area.

10. adamchew

adamchew New Member

rockon83....I just sent you a private message

#10 adamchew, Aug 3, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  11. pcardoza

pcardoza Junior Member

Comparing any GSM 3 years ago is completely irrelevant today. the entire GSM world has changed in the country over the last 3 years......

12. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    But he's just saying that in 3 years T-Mobile hasn't changed.

13. pcardoza

pcardoza Junior Member

We both know that just isn't true........

14. probboy2

probboy2 New Member

In Massachusetts I don't think T-Mobile has done jack in the past 3 years. By far the worst carrier in Massachusetts.

15. rockon83

rockon83 Junior Member

So I'm lying? My family got TMobile, or rather Voicestream in January of 2001, and it worked fine on the main streets and downtown, but go to any residential part of the city, or even indoors in busier areas and it simply sucked! by FAR the worst carrier... And with a tmo sim, I went around a few months ago and nothing had changed. I don't know how you can tell me this isn't true.

Sprint was the only other crappy carrier in Worcester, but they added a bunch of towers a year ago and got much better. Now only TMo sucks in Worcester. I rate em: Cingular/At&t, Verizon, Sprint, Nextel, --long gap-- TMo... Cingular and at&t roam on each other, so they may as well be listed together.

16. kingofgondor

kingofgondor New Member

I had Tmo up until a month ago and their coverage in Mass. is pretty poor. I had several "holes" on 495 from Chelmsford to Amesbury. Traveling the other direction towards Worcester to head down 395 into CT was just as sporadic.

17. pcardoza

pcardoza Junior Member

They are certainly the worst in terms of coverage area, but to say they haven't made any improvements in 3 years is just ludicrous. I'm not calling you a liar, just misinformed............

18. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I gave up on TracFone after 2 1/2 weeks (they resell Cingular service in Mass.). Some colleagues recommended T-Mobile, one of which (from New Hampshire) has been with them since it was VoiceStream and has not had a problem with them.

I now have T-Mobile service and where the TracFone (TDMA) had only displayed 1 or 2 bars in the signal strength indicator, the phone from T-Mobile (GSM) displayed full strength (all 7 bars) in the exact same areas northeast of Boston. :)

19. CASH629

CASH629 Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX 8700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    i go to school in boston and i have verizon and i get a better signal there than in my house here on long island

also on the trip up there i get 3 or 4 bars for pretty much the whole trip so verizon is good too

20. warriorfootball9

warriorfootball9 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung X427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular Wireless
    Did you upgrade to Cingular GSM

21. Rasputin

Rasputin Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple Iphone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon
    Verizon and Cingular are the way to go in Mass

22. rockon83

rockon83 Junior Member

In Worcester - they have made NO improvements in 3 years. Ludicrous or not.

And yes, Rasputin is right, Verizon and Cingular are the way to go in Mass.

23. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yes. I upgraded from a Nokia 5120-I (TDMA) to an LG G4010 (GSM), and still had dropped calls with the LG. :mad:

24. rockon83

rockon83 Junior Member

the lg 4010 is horrible for rf. my boss has it, and drops calls every time he drives thru newton sq. i couldn't believe it, bc i've NEVER dropped a call at newton sq in 3 years! i just bought him a 3590 off ebay for $28 w/ shipping!

25. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I traveled Route 128 north of Boston this morning and up 93 to Andover. Except for one brief reduction in the signal strength in Lynnfield (for about 1/2 mile), the Nokia 3595 from T-Mobile displayed full signal strength for the entire trip.

I really don't know if call quality will improve and call drops will end with Cingular, post-AT&T Wireless acquisition...

26. rockon83

rockon83 Junior Member

128 and 93 are interstates around a major city. all services will work fine there :rolleyes: get onto the back roads...

27. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    To update my original post, early TracFone problems were remedied to my satisfaction. :)

28. master_chris

master_chris New Member

Here is the thing, DO NOT, I repeat, NOT go with Tmobile. I live about 15 min from Worcester, and I had t-mobile for about a week. It is awful. Yes, I had coverage where I lived, go down a block, no signal, another block yes, then no. Then there is many place where there is no coverage for 30 minutes in area. Here are your only chooses: Verizon or Cingular. T-MOBILE + :eek:

29. pcardoza

pcardoza Junior Member

Hmmmm.... Good advice, but you are replying to a post that is a year old!!!!