Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Best signals in NYC Metropolitan Area

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello and hopefilly someone will be able to help me out. I currently have a Panasonic Allure and have been with ATT for about 3 years. My phone dropped into a pool last weekend and is DEAD. I have only 2 mos left with ATT. I am thinking about changing over to Sprint PCS and it seems they have some fairly cool phones to choose from. BUT the phone is only as good as the service. Does any one have Sprint PCS and travel Back and forth from NYC to NJ? Is reception good? Any major concerns with Sprint PCS vs. ATT. I REALLY do not want to make a mistake.

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint did win the most recent JD Powers award for New York metro.

3. GJMOO7

GJMOO7 Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    You will not regret it if you choose to go with sprint pcs.I have had
    sprint pcs for (6)years and i have not had any major problems at all.
    I own my own limo company,and i travel all over the tri-state area.
    There are some areas where sprint does not have coverage,there
    for you will need a dual band phone in order to make and receive
    calls.There are not many areas in nj where you will be roaming.
    Sprint's coverage has gotten so much better in nj and they did in
    fact win the J.D.Powers award.You can give it a shot and see how
    you like it.You do have (15)day's to try it out and if you don't like it
    you can return it.Sprint pcs is much better than AT&T,especially in
    midtown manhattan where the service is terrible.Good Luck!!!!

4. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Well if GJMOO7 is there first-hand and says that the service is good, then it is probably good.

If you don't like Sprint PCS, you can also try Voicestream Wireless. I know someone who live in NYC and he says that service is "terrific." I think my other friend says that he travels to New Jersey from Maryland and D.C., and he doesn't have any problems. He's been with Voicestream over two (2) years. They have some cool phones too, like the Motorola P280, Samsung Q105, Motorola v.60, and the soon to come Sony Ericsson T68i. I here the T68i is very popular their with Voicestream, even though they haven't released it yet. My friend there says that they sell it everywhere except Voicestream.

5. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

been in ny/nj with sprint for a year and service is top notch. ive lived in bergen and passaic counties and travel to manhattan often (on average once a week)

course there are a few deadspots but as far as coverage in nyc itself goes sprint is excellent. i am fairly certain that in NYC sprint is better than at&t (just like it seems with certainty that at&t is better than sprint in chicago or san fran) this just happens to be a market where sprint is in good shape and at&t is struggling still.

CS hold times can be on the longer side at peak times with sprint but you have many options of support and adjusting your account online so that it is not often needed.

good luck with whomever you choose.

if you do go with sprint try hittin NJ up at circuit city or best buy or costco as they tend to have the best prices and rebate specials on sprint phones.

6. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Aren't the problems with AT&T in the NYC area fixed now? I know I use to hear and read a lot of bad things about them in that area but as of lately I haven't heard anything bad about them, infact hasn't there been a couple of AT&T users from that area that states the service is now good. I don't know that area at all, but it seems like AT&T's rep for that area has improved.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks sooo much for the reply's. I can't tell you how much this web site has helped me out. I appreciate the input from "actual" users. I will be telling my friends to log on BEFORE they make any wireless purchases. And I will try Sprint PCS as of today.

Thanks again..[​IMG]

8. IdiOTeQnoLogY

verizon is also tops in this area as well.

as far as at&t goes i know of 3 people with at&t phones (1 lives in nyc manhattan and says it stinks)
    2 live in NJ near NYC (they also dont like it, 1 guy i just met today on a construction job he complains about coverage and dropped calls)

obviously 3 people doesnt define a market but it seems that they still have work to do on the network here....perhaps waiting till it goes GSM

9. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I guess AT&T still has problems in the NYC metro area, I guess its best that you avoid them. According to Epinions.com Verizon Wireless and Sprint PCS have the highest number of happy users in NYC and Sprint PCS as Larry said won a 2001 award from JD Powers for that area. Granted I don't know that area but it seems like to me you should look into Sprint PCS and Verizon.

Cellular Phone Service, New York

10. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    When a carrier falls way behind in a large market such as Sprint did in Chicago and AT&T in New York it takes a LONG time to catch up and resolve all the issues. Even though they both have spent tons of money adding new cell sites and equipment it's still hard to keep up with the new customer additions.

11. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
  12. aiwapro

Go Voicestream!

13. hihoslva

hihoslva New Member

I recently had bad issues with VoiceStream - while they are kind of specific to me, I cancelled my contract early and I am now fighting them over the termination fees.

I am in Manhattan often, and my Long Island-based company uses an "800" for employees to call in from the field. This number is restriced to calls originating within New York, only - calls from other states do not get through.

Seems as though my VoiceStram calls from Manhattan (and sometimes even Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx) are picked up by a cell twoer in Jersey - therefore, even though I was in NY, my cals would not go through. My company pressures the hell out of me to use the "800" employess line, and I couldn't with the VoiceStream phone - VERY irritating.

Also, the "slap-back" on VS was getting beyond absurd. I'd say up to 75% of my calls on some days were totally unintelligible due to the echo of my own voice.

14. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    hihoslva, Make sure your next mobile phone has a NYC area code. If it's 201 then of course you cannot call your company's 800 line because the phone switch thinks the call is coming from NJ since 201 is a New Jersey area code. In that case, this is really not Voicestream's fault. If your Voicestram phone area code is 917 or 347 or 646 I don't see why you are having problems calling your office's 800 line. You can either call the direct non-800 number (212 area code?) to your office (all 800 numbers have one) or tell Voicestream to change you to a NYC area code. See, with cellphones, it doesn't matter where you are, is what your area code is that determines if you can call certain 800 numbers or not. [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Guest

Guest Guest

Larry, It's nice to see that someone pro-SprintPCS can acknowledge that Chicago is a HORRIBLE market for SprintPCS. It's extremely frustrating on the Internet newsgroups when you try to discuss the Chicago problems and you get negative feedback and people think you are just a whinner. I know each provider has good and bad markets, etc.

I really like SprintPCS, I really want to like them in Chicago. [​IMG]

Here in Chicago, to this day, numerous calls to go directly to voicemail in areas with good signals. Yesterday while with friends at O'hare International, my friends and I were trying to get together and when I called there SprintPCS phones the call went directly to VM and the VM indicator didn't activate until 20 minutes later. Finally we found each other and we are in Phoenix. The SPCS phones work wonderfully in Phoenix.

SprintPCS has some good rate plans and offerings.

Anyone familiar with Voicestream in Chicago? I'm thinking of dumping them.

16. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes Chicago has been bad from day one. Sprint received their operating license there later than the other markets and have had a difficult time building their network. Actually they have enough cell sites now to provide a good signal in most areas but the problem continues to be network overloading. The reason for this is lack of switching facilities to handle the calls. I've been told that this is something that cannot be fixed too easily and might even be out of their control. Here's a tip. Don't leave your phone's power on for too long or you're likely to get logged out and that is why calls are going to voicemail. Frequently turning your power off and on again 3 or 4 times a day might help. Also make sure you have PRL 10014 or higher for Chicago. When 3G voice is implemented and more and more people switch over to a 3G voice capable phone you will also start to notice improvements.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

Although the Chicago network problems seem to be well known, keep in mind that lots of people must be using the network for it to be overloaded. If it was really that awful, they wouldn't have any customers in Chicago.

18. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    true. I wish I could get an opportunity to spend some time in Chicago testing out the network. That way I could see for myself how bad or good it is.

19. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    AT&T has improved in midtown and lower Manhattan in the last couple of years. Their signal in much better in NJ. I cannot say the same about Queens/Bronx and Brooklyn where there are problems with dead spots which cause dropped calls. Although the dropped calls issue affects older Nokia phones much more than newer ones. The newer Nokias will keep reception even in marginal signal spots so with a new Nokia you will hardly ever drop a call. The same goes for Sprint PCS although their coverage all over NYC is more even therefore people experience less dropouts. In other words, Sprint network was better engineered.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  20. RUMMY

RUMMY New Member

I don't beleive in paying for customer service, do you guys?

21. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I would have to agree that every company has good markets and bad. IT is nice to see that sprint is admitting their problems in chicago and trying to rectify the situation

Jack

22. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I think I would wanna start making money after investing millions in installing a wireless system in a city even though is not fully finished. You can finish building it at the same time you are making money. You will have dissatisfied customers anyway regardless if you have excellent or spotty coverage. That's the case with Sprint in Chicago.

23. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    In response to RUMMY's:

<< I don't beleive in paying for customer service, do you guys? >>

Who has to pay for customer service? Not me. Only 'credit challenged' customers who call up to ask unnecessary questions might have to.

bobolito- Good point. I totally agree with you there and that's the way it's usually done by all carriers.

24. jarhead

jarhead New Member

Sprint PCS is the "KING" in NYC Baby!!!!

25. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Thats exactly what jd power said

Jack

26. RUMMY

RUMMY New Member

&lt;&lt; I don't beleive in paying for customer service, do you guys? &gt;&gt;

Who has to pay for customer service? Not me. Only 'credit challenged' customers who call up to ask unnecessary questions might have to.

----------------------------------------------

It's unnecessary profiling and economic discrimination either way you look at it. We're talking about meager Sprint PCS here, not some kind of financial consulting service. Account holders who sign on for annual agreements or monthly agreements (10 dollar surcharge) should be afforded with quality customer care without regard to their 'credit score' or other indicators of self worth.

27. Guest

Guest Guest

I realize everyone here is loving sprint in NYC, and i admit that i have not had too many problems with it - however, i feel that Verizon provides the best service. For example, in the holland and brooklyn-battery tunnels, i get an "out of service" message with sprint, and my passengers with verizon will be yacking away to someone else. Dropped calls seem to be a way of life too. Anyway, both are good, but don't think Sprint is THAT much better - i would go with verizon because of at least comparably NYC coverage, and the ability to go to Analog without paying for it (not an option with sprint).

28. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    This is why I posted in another thread that Sprint gets all the credit for Verizon's coverage. A lot of times customers don't know that Sprint's signal faded out and they automatically switched to a verizon tower.

29. aiwapro

Hey Bobolito, that's what I have been saying in all of the threads. I don't like this roaming partner stuff, because one company can advertise, market, and not have had anything to do with the building of any tower in that area.

30. IdiOTeQnoLogY

no offense bobolito but what are you talkin about. i corrected you in the other post you made......how can sprint get credit for verizons towers when the only time sprint will roam onto verizon is in analog mode....which wont happen in nyc.....it is verizons users who roam without knowing it on sprints digital towers.

it is verizon who gets credit for sprints coverage with their tri-mode phones and an americas choice plan a verizon user picks up a sprint digital signal without even having to blink. lots of coverage in florida that is digital for verizon users is actually sprint..........more than 80% of verizon americas choice digital coverage in minnesota is ALL SPRINT...check the maps.

if a sprint user were to pick up a verizon signal they would know...their phone would be blinking ANALOG ROAM ......or in the rare case it would be digital it would say DIGITAL ROAM.

when a verizon user picks up a sprint digital signal it is a smooth transition if they are on an americas choice plan or higher....you have your facts backwards.