Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Best service in Staten Island,NY

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Scalici26, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Scalici26

Scalici26 Senior Member

Hi. I'm getting rid of my horrible Nextel service and before i subscribe to another provider I would like to see which is the best provider in my area (Metro New York). I'm looking into Verizon. Some of my friends have it and they have service everywhere. Also I was looking to get the motorola V60 with Verizon. Do you thinks thats a good idea? Have any suggestions?

2. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

I have heard really good things about Voicestream in the metro New York area. I have a friend who lives in NYC and says his experience with Voicestream in NYC is "terrific." I will try to get him to come to this "thread" and let you hear it from him specifically.

I was in a Voicestream store Tuesday, and the employee told me that they are suppose to receive the Motorola v.60 Friday. That is tomorrow. He showed me the paperwork that they had been faxed about the phone and everything.

Look at this City Listing that I got off of the Voicestream website. You city is in this list, so this ensures that you will have Digital service and coverage in your city. Here is the New York - City Listing that I was refering too.

Voicestream's rate plans are better than your current Nextel, and are better than some of the other competitors aswell. Here is a link to Voicestream's Nationwide Rate Plans. These plans come with Free Roaming, Free Long Distance, and UNLIMITED weekends across the U.S.

3. UWS

UWS New Member

Verizon.. I live in NYC.. all other service is spotty. go with Verizon =)

4. Guest

Guest Guest

i live in staten island and the best service is either verizon or at&t. both are very good. in some areas at&t is better and in some verizon is better.
    sprint is the worst and i dunno about now but i know in the past (last year) voicestram was pretty bad in some areas.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Sprint PCS Is Great In NYC...!!! Never Had A Problem

6. jarhead

jarhead New Member

GOTTA GET SPRINT PCS

7. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Sprint, Verizon and Voicestream. One of these three would be the best.

another thing to consider is do you travel or stay local

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Scalici26

Scalici26 Senior Member

Well, I mostly stay local, but when i do travel(domesticaly) I want my phone to work.

9. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

I have heard that Voicestream really delivers when it comes to the New York area. My friend told me that things are at their best with Voicestream in NYC. I loves them. He often travels with his phone too, and has not had any problems.

I have had them for over a year now (NW Ohio), and I haven't had any problems, not even problems when I travel. Their roaming and Long Distance is truely free. I went on a college tour to some different universities around the U.S., mostly throughout the South. Everyone that was with me kept wanting to use my phone, so I let them for a while, but then I stopped them. I had used like over half of my anytime minutes on the tour out of town. My phone worked great, but I expected to have a huge bill even though I knew that the roaming was suppose to be FREE, I thought that Voicestream would mess it up. They proved me wrong, and their were absolutely no roaming or long distance charges on my bill. It was the same amount that it always is; $46.72. That includes my regular plan, plus the 500 extra text messages that I added.

My plan:
    700 Nationwide anytime minutes (everybody else gets 500; I got the extra minutes because of how long
    I have been a customer)
    UNLIMITED Nationwide Weekends
    500 text messages
    price including taxes: $46.72

10. Guest

Guest Guest

Go with VOICESTREAM; I'm from India and I can sen TEXT MESSAGE to INDIA (other carriers can't) Not to mention I can use my phone there too since I have a Samsung N105

11. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's a cool feature for those of us who need it but I wonder how many of us will actually have reason to send text messages overseas.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Does anyone know the best service/coverage for Long Island? My experience w/ voicestream on long island is poor.

13. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Of all these replies I would trust the anonymous user who wrote 10 posts above that he lives in Staten Island an said that Verizon and AT&T are very good. Staten Island coverage is different than Manhattan and nearby areas where Sprint and Voicestream are doing well. I don't think this is the case in Staten Island. I would vote for Verizon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

bobolito, Staten Island and Long Island are two different places.

Where on the Island?

15. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Oops! sorry...Yes, I know they are different. I live 20 mins from Staten Island. I just didn't read the anonymous post carefully enough and also the title says Staten Island. My bad...

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Will I am in Staten Island 10308 zip code and I had them all. Some far Verizon is the best but I can use my Treo on it. I am talking to Cingular now and maybe one day I will leave Verizon?

17. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

Sprint..they suck, I had AT&T, they suck, voicestream..had them and they suck and nexHELL really sucks...know people who have it.. Verizon is the best. I live in SI in 10309 zip code and it works superior. No problems anywhere i travel on the island. Get Verizon.

18. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I like your new icon Joe.

19. ColdSteel

ColdSteel New Member

I'm using Cingular TDMA in Staten Island on Victory Boulevard, exit 12 off the SI Expressway.

I almost always have 4/4 bars.

However, I'm on Cingular Roam, which means I'm actually using AT&T's network.

HTH.

20. Scalici26

Scalici26 Senior Member

IMHO i think Sprint has the best service in Staten Island. I've yet to find a dead spot on the island.

21. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

just an observation.....it is amazing the extreme opinions one will find on one carrier in the same medium sized geographic area.

22. Guest

Guest Guest

I have varying signals with Verizon and several cases where the other end line cannot hear me. Thene eventually gets dropped.

23. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Have your phone checked out at a verizon store

Jack