Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Best service in Southern RI

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by colinmc, Aug 1, 2002.

1. colinmc

colinmc New Member

I've just relocated to South Kingstown/South County in Rhode Island and commute to work in Boston. I'm looking for a new "family plan" having just cancelled with ATT following an awful experience with their totally inept customer service. I'm tending towards signing up with Cingular, with Nextel as my second choice. I'd really appreciate feedback on the coverage of these and other providers in the area. (By the way, I commute to Boston on the train from southern RI).

Thank You

2. tompug

tompug Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung X-427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, T-mobile, Verizon
    Colinmc, I can help you, I live in Hopkinton R.I. just south of you I travel everyday thru Exeter, North and South kingston and Quonset Point . the best provider in this area is Verizon. Nextel and Sprint have decent coverage , Cingular is spotty and Voicestream has the least amount of coverage here (there coverage is better from Warwick to Providence) Verizon is the best coverage from Warwick down south to the Rhode Island ,Connecticut borderline.

3. colinmc

colinmc New Member

Thanks, that's very helpful. I hadn't really considered Sprint, having seen SO many negative comments all over the net. However, I was in a Staples down here today and the guy running the cellular section has Sprint himself and reckons it's the best service between S. County and Boston. It looks like I could also pick up two pretty nice phones for free. I'd welcome any other comments people might have.

4. tompug

tompug Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung X-427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    If you do try Sprint , lg phones do not work well in this area, I just tried a lg 1010 last month and the signal strength was terrible! My local Radio Shack store told me customers return the lgs all the time, Sanyos ,Kyoceras and samsungs work much better here . I tried a Samsung a-400 back in April and the coverage and signal strength was a lot better than the lg 1010. as far as Staples telling you they have the best coverage between S. County and Boston, Don;t believe it! He;s just trying to sell you a phone, they told me that too but their coverage doesnt come close to Verizon .I;ve compared them over and over. if you want the best in this area go with Verizon, good luck.

5. slayer12

slayer12 New Member

I am from the area had verizon now have t-mobile. Verizon has better coverage t-mobile is ok and you can get alot of great phones for them for free on amazon where for verizon the same phones will cost 150 to 200. Ie the v60

6. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Of course Verizon is the winner. I was recently in Providence and went south to Scarborough beach and believe it or not Nextel had a good signal all over the area. Cingular (TDMA) was fading in some points along the road but in the beach it was fine. However, Verizon was more stable all over.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. tompug

tompug Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung X-427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    hey slayer12, have you used your voicestream phone at all in ashaway or wood river junction? if so how was your coverage. thanks.