Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Best service in Morristown, NJ area?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Mandlf, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Mandlf

Mandlf New Member

I currently have Sprint service. I got it when I lived in Manhattan and it was great. Now I live in Morristown, NJ and the service is spotty at best. I can't get a signal in my house, I have to go out to the end of the driveway to make a call. I assumed all carriers would be the same, but a friend was over with a Verizon phone and got a clear signal in my house. Anyone know about the Morristown area? Is Verizon strong all over? I would break my contract with Sprint and get an AC plan with Verizon if it's that much better.

2. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Ask your friend if he is happy with the service. From your review it seems like this is a new/week area for sprint pcs. If your main thing is to be able to use the phone in your home then yes switch.

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

hiya, i am from wayne nj, about 20minutes away........sprint is excellent here but morristown is an area where they are still building out and adding coverage

verizon is a great provider in the NJ/NY area as well......so if your friends verizon phone works at your home and work then you will be happy with them mostly everywhere else.....

and while u r a sprint customer send in a ticket or call CS just to let them know that they have these spots to fill up,,,,,,,they probably already know but the more people contact them the quicker it will be fixed

4. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

I am here in whippany...2 minutes away....ATT is probably best for the direct area. ...but overall Verizon is better....Voicestream is not bad either.

5. IdiOTeQnoLogY

from what i know at&t still has a fair amount of problems in the nj/ny area id stay away from them for now until they fix it.

6. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Yes, ATT does have a fair amount of problems in the NYC area. But for whatever reason, there are more ATT towers then any other in Whippany, Cedar Knolls, Parsippany, Morris Plains, and Morristown. Anywhere outside this area Voicestream and Verizon are your best bet. Nextel is also great too, but are more expensive and aimed at buisnesses.

7. IdiOTeQnoLogY

id say sprint is a better bet than voicestream or nextel. my sprint phone works better than people's i know nextel or voicestream phone hands down.

8. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Na.....sprint is pretty weak in this area. Nextel is great in most major Met areas. Voicestream can be spotty in some towns, it is very spotty in Livingston. But it is great on all major high ways. My friend owns a store in Parsippany that I work at occasionally. We probably sell more Verizon and Voicestream then any other.

9. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    ok boys, we're not going to start another wireless carrier war are we?

Mandlf is choosing between Sprint and Verizon and he's already noticed Sprint is not doing well in his area. If I had to choose between Sprint and Verizon I would choose Verizon. Verizon has a more mature and well established presence in the wireless market. Sprint is excellent in some areas but if you find they are not good in Morristown, then switch to Verizon.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Guest

Guest Guest

AT&T has a large NOC Center on Horsehill Road in Whippany. Maybe that is why the coverage is so good.

11. Mandlf

Mandlf New Member

Thanks everyone. I got a Verizon plan that I'm trying out for 15 days. So far the service is slightly better in my home, and much better in the city.

12. Mandlf

Mandlf New Member

Now if I could only get broadband in my house...........

13. IdiOTeQnoLogY

what is better about verizon in the city than sprint?

14. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    What's better is that if you fallback to analog you don't get charged for roaming.

15. Mandlf

Mandlf New Member

True, plus I get a strong signal when I'm down in the tunnels under Penn Station waiting for my train to pull out, and also in the tunnel under the river. With Sprint I had no signal at all.

16. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Mandlf, is your phone dual mode (digital/analog)? Or is it configured not to roam?

17. IdiOTeQnoLogY

so basically it is in the train station where u get better service with verizon in the city..........anything else that you like better?

btw if u are in the lincoln tunnel sprint now has a digital signal all the way thru.......i keep my phone on spcs only and have never needed anything but that in the city.......but i dont travel through penn station [​IMG]

18. Guest

Guest Guest

<< Na.....sprint is pretty weak in this area. Nextel is great in most major Met areas. Voicestream can be spotty in some towns, it is very spotty in Livingston. But it is great on all major high ways. My friend owns a store in Parsippany that I work at occasionally. We probably sell more Verizon and Voicestream then any other. >>

VOICESTREAM IS VERY GOOD IN MORRISTOWN. Why? This is where their Headquarters are located. Voicestream has very good coverage on I80. Sprint is horrible in this area ; just check their Map.[​IMG]

19. IdiOTeQnoLogY

sprint is also weak in livingston i was just there recently passing through to goto the Short Hills Mall.....i submitted a ticket online for that area.....must be a lot of NIMBYS there it is also a very wealthy area you figure these people need their cell phones to make all this money lol

20. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint launched coverage in all tunnels in NYC a couple of years ago. All other carriers have coverage in the tunnels as far as I know. Even all NYC radio stations can be picked up. That must be full of antennas under the Hudson River!

21. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Voicestream's North East Headquarters is in Cedar Knolls (Hanover Twp.)

About Livingston, Voicestream is week there too. Livingston is very strict on cell towers, in many areas there is no signal at all.

22. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I will stop by livingston soon to see how TDMA is doing over there.

23. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi, I live in the Morristown, NJ area as well. Am thinking of getting a cell phone to check on the kids, for emergencies, quick phone calls, etc. I've been reading the posts and the consensus seems to be that Verizon provides the best service around here.

Since I don't plan to use the phone that often, I was wondering if a pre-paid plan is better? I just don't want to get stuck with all sorts of hidden charges and fees. I don't need to have nationwide service, as my friends and family are all local.

Would love to hear some opinions, thanks! [​IMG]

24. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I would not go pre-paid. I would get a small local plan.

Jack

25. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I don't know if a local plan is worth it since with the America's Choice gives you so much more for the same price. Verizon's cheapest plans are $35 and that includes 350 minutes on the local plan and 300 on the America's Choice plan. Both plans include 4000 night and weekend minutes. Although the local plan has 50 minutes more the only thing I don't like is that they charge long distance to call South Jersey. Verizon is the only wireless carrier that charges long distance to call South Jersey and they have the smallest toll-free area of any carrier. Check their local map to see if you need to call any of these areas. Otherwise go with the America's Choice plan as they won't charge you long distance to anywhere in the US.

You will inevitably will become more attached and dependent on your cell phone and you'll use more minutes as time goes by. However, for now, their cheapest plan should be more than enough for a good period of time.

Check the local area map here: http://www.verizonwireless.com/images/maps/n_east/n_east_nymetro_loc.gif

26. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Anonymous, If you are looking for a quick cal cell phone and aren't sure if you should go pre-paid or not. I would recommend Call Plus. This uses ATTs network which is very strong in the Moristown Area. You can read more here: http://www.ecallplus.com this is not Call Plus' website but is a dealers site and provides more info then theirs.

How many minuites do you think you would use? Less then 100 a month? Their $50 card will give you 166 minutes and will expire after 3 months but if you add a new card within that time it will just roll-over to the new card. This is one of the best pre-paid plans in the area. One of my families 3 cell phones is on this plan.

27. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. [​IMG] I will be doing some research today on various plans........most likely I'll go with a local plan, rather than pre-paid.