Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Best service in Commack, NY?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by mvetrano2, May 28, 2008.

1. mvetrano2

mvetrano2 New Member

My Phone:
    sanyo 7500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    sprint
    Hello,

I am currently with Sprint, but need to switch service because I am having issues with Sprint that they cannot resolve to my satisfaction. Is there anyone out there that lives near or in Commack, Long Island, New York that gets great cellphone service in their home? If so, what service provider do you use and how are their customer service reps when needed? I am thinking about switching to T-Mobile or AT&T because they seem to offer phones that will work world-wide and I travel to Spain quite often to visit family. Note that Sprint works well in my home and I have had Verizon prior which did not work as well in my home. So, I would like to hear specifically from T-Mobile or AT&T users.

Thanks,
    Mike.

2. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hey Mike, Welcome to WA! I've been to Long Island quite a few times using T-Mobile. Generally, the coverage is good, but LI is one of the toughest areas for a cell company to cover, so all of them have places they will not work. Last time I went to Elmwood, coverage was pretty good, I had service in all the places I went to, samething with South Huntington. I would 1st check the coverage maps with AT&T & T-Mobile. That will give you a general idea of how both companies work around you, keep in mind those maps are general and not always accurate. I'd say if your in a "Best" to "Moderate" area with AT&T or a 3 bar area with T-Mobile you should be okay, if not then you may have issues with coverage.
    Another thing you can do is pick up a prepaid phone from AT&T and T-Mobile, they generally don't cost anymore than $40-$50 at target or wal-mart and will give you an accurate picture of how coverage is where you live and work. Good luck on the search and keep us posted about your decision.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that both companies have a 14 day return policy, so take advantage of that if the need arises. T-mobile also has a service called Hotspot@Home that allows you to use your WifI network to make calls in your house, so if the coverage isn't adequate, you can still use your phone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    When it comes to eastern long island, stick to ATT or Verizon. Both Sprint and T-Mobile use 1900 mHz and that just wont cut it out there.

And since you say you travel over seas a lot, ATT just makes sense for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Barciurek

Barciurek Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Actually it does not.
    T-mobile rate in spain is $0.99 while ATT's rate is $1.29. You get $0.99 in Spain with ATT if you pay extra $5.99 a month..
    T-mobile's SMS costs $0.35 and ATT's costs $0.50
    I'll let you decide but if international is quite important to you, go with T-mo.

And from what I see, T-mobile's coverage is pretty good up there.

5. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    Barciurek, Lets stick to members that have first hand knowledge of coverage. we can all speculate, it doesnt accomplish much.

as for international charges, ATT offers 100 International text messages for $10. thats about 10cents a message and i think 15cents after you go over those. which is a good bit less than anyone ive heard of.

dont forget the domestic advantages of great phones, rollover, and 71million m2m customers and the ability to have early nights and weekends...

Good Luck with your decision!

6. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Agreed, he will almost 100% need more coverage while at home, then at the few times he is travelling over seas. TMobile is great in the city, but anywhere outside of the city, and you will find yourself out of luck a lot.

7. Barciurek

Barciurek Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    My speculation about coverage was just an addition, whole post was about international service.
    and that 100 internatiopnal SMS wont do him much for roaming..
    also t-mobile has $0.15 at standard rate for international texting... thats what i fouund on the website cos i pay $0.10 with my prepaid i dont know how it is with postpaid other than website.

8. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    The OP mentions that he would like to have a phone that works in Spain, but that does not necessarily mean he would use his provider's international roaming. The cheaper route is, of course, to unlock the phone and use a Spanish provider's SIM card.

9. dead zone

dead zone Junior Member

My Phone:
    VX10000 Voyager
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless

<---deer park here well i would of said verizon but you seem you want GSM i had AT&T and Tmobile in the past and was happy with AT&T go with them. there coverage is just much more greater then Tmobile.

10. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I would also say having an AT&T subscription (to have native 850MHz band) with an unlocked quad-band phone (so he can swap to a local SIM when travelling) would be his best bet.