Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Best service for Bay Area AND Oregon?

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by dbob, Dec 19, 2001.

1. dbob

dbob New Member

Hello,

I currently live in San Francisco and soon will be working all over the Oakland area. However, I frequently drive up to Portland and Central Oregon (specifically Bend/Redmond) to visit family.

A little less than a year ago, I signed my first cellular contract with Cingular and purchased an Ericsson T28z phone. BIG MISTAKE!! My coverage is lousy and I can always count on a "Network Busy" message during those UNLIMITED NIGHTS AND WEEKENDS times. In addition, I have missed important messages because I never received a "New Message" prompt. I'm not sure if the latter problem is the service or my phone.

In any event, my contract is up in March and I am definately looking for a new service. From reading the postings here and on other websites, it sounds like AT&T offers the best coverage for the Bay Area. However, I am worried about their coverage in Oregon. It seems as though Verizon dominates that market. If it makes any difference, I believe that much of Central Oregon is only covered by analog.

As far as phones go, I want to be very discreet- small enough to easily fit in a pants pocket without looking vulgar, vibrate mode, and analog capable.

Can anyone offer me advice on either of these issues or both? Sorry to be so long-winded.

dbob

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi dbob,

I guess if you've read enough of the postings here, you are well aware I live and work in the same SF/Bay area cities you speak of.

Unfortunately, I have no personal experience or knowledge of ATT service in Oregon. So I went to the attws website, plugged in the zipcodes for Bend and Redmond. Both came back with the a message that service is not currently offered there by ATT. So it does look as if Verizon is your best choice (or maybe Nextel??). (There is a regular poster here ("Mark"??) that claims Nextel is the undiscovered goldmine ready and waiting to be tapped. Everytime I examine their rate plans, I notice they are higher than ATT, Verizon and others. I don't know what Mark sees that I am not seeing, but to be fair, I thought I'd just mention it.)

None of the phones (except the V60c) are really thin. Other than that, the V120c seems to be a good performer. It has vibrating option, is a tri-mode (800 MHz AMPs, 800MHz CDMA, 1900MHz CDMA) and has a very solid and good feel to the hand. (My personal favorite is the LG TM510, but your requirement for "no vulgur bulge" disqualifies this one unless you are willing to clip the phone on your belt with the included holster.)

Kevin

3. dbob

dbob New Member

Thanks for the info Kevin.

Since I will primarily be using my phone in the Bay Area, I don't want to sacrifice good/excellent service in CA. for service in Central Oregon. However, it sounds like Bay Area Verizon is more than adequate.

Also, do you know where I can find actual coverage maps for ATT&T and Verizon. I keep getting stymied when I look for them on the provider website. They just show a general map of what states each plan covers.

I appreciate your help.

Dbob

4. dbob

dbob New Member

Ooops,

O.K. I found AT&T but still no Verizon.

Dbob

5. josh

josh New Member

hi dbod

I just wanted to recommend that you check with AT&T Wireless to see if they have roaming agreements in Oregon with other carriers(cellular one), which would allow you to use your wireless phone on that carrier's system. Remember you also have a buyer's remorse period where you can try the service out for 30 days to see if it will fit your needs. Also the delayed voicemail issue's are caused by two things 1.Never powering the phone off(which causes old registrations with the switch)2. Exiting the voicemail incorrectly which causes the digital feature(voicemail indicator)to delay in sending that message from the voicemail system back to the phone.Did you do any of these when with the other provider.

josh

6. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    dbob:

Regarding coverage maps, the best that I have found is to view the "local plan" coverage maps for each vendor. That gives you a better idea of the highways and cities that are covered.

Verizon's site is: http://www.verizonwireless.com

One of the pages on my website lists all the major carriers' websites: Links Page

By the way, Josh's suggestion above is excellent. I should have remembered myself that AT&T affiliate businesses still support several smaller market-segments across this country.

7. ILVLA2

ILVLA2 Member

You would be able to pickup a CDMA digital signal in Central Oregon with Verizon, though it would be via a roaming agreement with US Cellular, who services that area very well. Verizon has digital roaming agreements with US Cellular in just about all of Oregon, save the Eugene/Salem/Portland area, where they actually have service. With AT&T you would roam digital in Bend and Redmond, via Edge Wireless(an AT&T affiliate.) Cingular has no coverage there(their coverage stops at Cloverdale in NW California, and Redding in N/Central California), and I don't know who Sprint would roam on there, if at all. Nextel has spotty, if any, coverage in that area of Oregon. Hope that helps.

8. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Mike,

Sprint does cover those areas of Oregon, (Bend and Redmond) via their affiliate, Alamosa PCS. Wouldn't be roaming with Sprint.

9. ILVLA2

ILVLA2 Member

That's good, though I'm sure it's only in the towns and on major roads. With that area being very rural and sparsely poulated, I would imagine you would be roaming a lot with Sprint.

10. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes the coverage is limited to Bend and Redmond and isn't connected to other major cities yet.

11. haasman

haasman Member

I live in the Bay Area and travel to Oregon. I don't know of the "perfect" solution but generallyI have been pleased with Verizon. I go into central Oregon frequently, and of course, depedning, Verizon works pretty well.

As far as phones, I think the LG510 and the Motorola's still have the best reception.

My 2 cents