Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Best reception phone from Verizon

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by lcarbrey, Apr 11, 2005.

1. lcarbrey

lcarbrey New Member

Thanks to those who answered me about Cingular in So Jersey. I've proven via uncle's phone that Verizon will work at the house. It's not the best signal, but it's signal nonetheless. Has anyone had experience with a particular phone on Verizon that has better reception? Since it won't be perfect at the house, I'd like to get one that's better than avg for picking up signal.

Thanks again!

2. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Motorola v710
    Motorola v265
    Motorola v260
    Nokia 6015i

Would be your best bet.

3. lcarbrey

lcarbrey New Member

I see that Verizon is going to be offering the treo 650, may do the motorola V710 for hubby and the treo for myself. Any thoughts on the treo's (I know 600 is one out there now) as far as reception goes?

4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I have no idea about the Treo, but overall I agree with NYC about Verizon's best phones, RF wise. Good luck.

5. lcarbrey

lcarbrey New Member

Is there a place I can check the specs on RF abilities?

6. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Not really unfortunately. Also, the variance in these phones abilities vs. the rest of the VZW lineup is less than 2%. you only really notice it in the places were you are on the edge of coverage. An example, the v710 would give me about 25% more usable space on the 42nd street 1/2/3/9 downtown platform than my 9900 does. If I wasn't looking out for people usuing there phones and wasn't trying to make calls from there I would never notice.

7. Rasputin

Rasputin Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple Iphone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon
    I like the RF, on the Nokia 6015i, Samsung A670, a680, Moto V260/265.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. zacatti

zacatti Member

My Phone:
    motorola v265
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Nextel, Telus
    I'd have to say the v265 is a great phone. I used to have the i90c - not a bad phone eithere but the v265 has superb reception of the two. It has great reception in elevators, over bridges and just this past weekend, I drove from Miami to Key West and had a full strength the entire time. I read on this site that this phone sucks up all the reception it can and I can honestly say that that is an accurate statement.

Good Luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Not a good comparison. If Nextel in your area is sub-par then all there phones will be sub-par. If Verizon has excellent coverage then the phone wpn't matter all that much. The v265, v710, and the 6015i are capable of making a sub-par area look better than it really is.

10. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    I agree. I recently gave up on the 9900. It just wasn't reliable making or receiving calls any more. I bought a 710 when the price was reduced and find that it can make and receive calls where the 9900 could not.

I think the same can be said of phones with extendable antennas. They improve CDMA reception.

11. z00m

z00m Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    ex-Suncom/Cingular
    So what about when Verizon reps say LG phones work best coverage wise.
    Is there any truth to that?

12. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Umm...they are SALES people. Not product reviewers after the truth, not people living in or working in a low coverage area, not technicaly inclined people looking for the best perfroming phone, Not people who's LIVES depend on having the best RF. They are SALES people. They recomend LG phones because Verizon tells them to or because the menuing system is simple for people to use.

Let me give you the honest hard truth. If my MOTHER or my GRANDMA'S LIFE depends on the RF of the phone and its a Verizon phone, It would be

Mortrola v710
    Motorola v265
    Nokia 6015i

all the way. No question. In the three years I have had verizon i have NEVER seen an LG outperform my Moto v60c, or either of my audiovox phones. And i have SEEN WITH MY OWN TWO EYES the v710 work in places were no LG/Audiovox worked and quite frankly it shouldn't be able to.

13. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    NYC is right, when it comes down to it, LG phones do NOT outperform the Moto V710 or 265, or even the Nokia 6015i or 3589i series. There's another case in this forum where a poster was using an LG phone in his home, which dropped calls left and right, he switched to the Moto V710 and now he has no problems making/receiving calls.
    A while ago at a local VZW store, a sales rep suggested a Kyrocera phone for the best RF...I was wondering if that sounded right. :rolleyes:

14. lcarbrey

lcarbrey New Member

Thanks for all the input, I'm still thinking of the Treo (waiting for the 650 to be offered officially) for myself and the v710 for husband. For us, at our house, Cingular (which we currently have rarely even has enough signal to make it register on the phone, we both have nokias), most other companies have even less, but Verizon is 'usable'. My uncle's verizon phone, which I believe is a motorola but probably not a real expensive one or real current worked from my house the other weekend, granted it did drop the call but I wasn't getting any signal at all from Cingular that day and weather was lousy.

15. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well you must leave really off the beaten path if nobody really covers your house that well.
    I think the v710 will give you the best possible RF at your house, not sure about the treo.
    Good luck with your decison! Are you out of contract with Cingular or will you have to pay the Early Termination fees?

16. lcarbrey

lcarbrey New Member

Funny thing is I'm not *that* far out there, only 30 min from Atlantic City and 45 min to Philadelphia. But it is rural, with lots of pine barrens with lots of trees and restrictions on building of anything. Not to mention small towns that aren't receptive to big towers being built. Unfortunately I have until Dec on my contract with Cingular, but I'm so suffiently fed up with having to forward my phone to the home phone# all the time and have people say gee I tried to get ahold of you.... that I'm sucking up and paying the fee. I do plan on talking to a supervisor first though, since I've been paying them a good chunk of change for many years, maybe they'll feel some mercy....

17. z00m

z00m Junior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    ex-Suncom/Cingular
    Hope you got your sorry face on & :crying:
    goodluck.

18. lcarbrey

lcarbrey New Member

Thanks! I'm frustrated enough that it doesn't matter the cost now.... I'd stay put if they'd put a tower up .....

19. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I hope they either feel mercy for you and cut the ETF in half or something, and if they say they're gonna put up a tower, it will take a long time though...

20. dtownfb

dtownfb Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I have a LG440B. I would say the LG phones are on par with Moto phones. I've had it for year and a half and never had trouble with dropped calls, voice quality, making calls in the house, etc. Not sure any phone will make that much of a difference if you are on the fringe of coverage.

21. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Actually there are definite differences between phones, especially in fringe areas. Those mentioned above will gerally work best in fringe areas.