Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Best Provider for Tracy, Sac Bay area? HELP

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by boopsy, Dec 16, 2001.

1. boopsy

boopsy New Member

I will be purchasing my first cell phone. I'm in Tracy ca. Which service is better. Att or veizon? I like verizon's phones better. Is it worth the extra money to pay fr web access? I heard verizon was having trouble with customer service. Thankks

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Kevin, sounds like one for you to answer. Probably AT&T right? LOL

3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hello Boopsy (Betty Boop???)

I also live in Tracy. I had a horrible experience with Verizon, but you may not have that same experience. If you don't already know, the Verizon store is located at the corner of Corral Hollow and Grantline. The new AT&T Wireless store (where I just started my 2nd wireless service and bought the new Panasonic Allure) is on the frontage of Grantline in the Walmart shopping center.

I have now, since 1994, started up 4 wireless services with ATT (myself, wife and other family members) and they all love it.

Larry, my esteemed colleague, is a Sprint advocate living in southern California. We have had several "friendly disagreements" about Sprint and the service they provide. Their ability to provide non-roaming digital signal has improved in this area and the Bay Area. (I work all over the Bay Area.) Cingular has even better coverage. Neither of those can provide coverage in residential areas here in Tracy.

Here are links you will find valuable:

My Wireless Article for Central Valley and Bay Area

General Informational Links

(The above two links take you to my website, which is offered by a free web-hosting firm. Unfortunately, the site has many problems and goes down frequently during the weekends. As of 7:12PM, Sun.11/16, it is down (again). I am so exasperated with them, but hey, its free. Just try back later if you can't reach the site.)

I really like the Panasonic Allure, I even started a Yahoo! Group for those that own it:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PanAllure

You are welcome to email direct for any further questions. yoda2u@ureach.com

4. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Kevin,

Just wondering why it is that Sprint & Cingular can't provide coverage in residential areas of Tracy. Are Tracy's zoning regulations too strict or something. It seems like if it was possible they would serve the area better. Usually if Sprint can't fully cover an area it's not their fault and the same probably goes for Cingular.

5. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Larry, I never intended to find "fault" or place blame on the carriers. My statement was just a factual (at present): "Neither of those can provide coverage in residential areas here in Tracy."

When I carried the company-issued Cingular phone, I was unable to get Cingular service from my home. My relatives experienced the same with Sprint. Service here is mostly along the highway, which is what all carriers concentrate on when they are first building their networks (we all must remember the original intent of wireless phones).

6. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I know I was just wondering why because here in Orange County most residential areas are covered because the planning departments will try and work with the carriers to find places to hide antennas.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi... I live in Eugene, Oregon. I am a senior citizen and almost totally illiterate on the subject of wireless phones and services. I need a wireless phone to carry with me only I am in the car and may need to use it in an emergency situation (my 1980 Toyota pickup is a gem, usually, but due to both our ages,:) I worry about the truck (or me) breaking down or konking out... especially on a busy highway. I have questions.... what type of phone battery lasts the longest and approximately how long would that "longest" be? Which are the best places to shop for wireless phones, batteries and services??

All suggestions are welcome....
    color me eager to hear from you....

Yolanda

8. Guest

Guest Guest

<< Hi... I live in Eugene, Oregon. I am a senior citizen and almost totally illiterate on the subject of wireless phones and services. I need a wireless phone to carry with me only I am in the car and may need to use it in an emergency situation (my 1980 Toyota pickup is a gem, usually, but due to both our ages,:) I worry about the truck (or me) breaking down or konking out... especially on a busy highway. I have questions.... what type of phone battery lasts the longest and approximately how long would that &quot;longest&quot; be? Which are the best places to shop for wireless phones, batteries and services??

All suggestions are welcome....
    color me eager to hear from you....

Yolanda
    >>

Text

9. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Yolonda:

Other posters from Oregon have indicated that ATT has an affiliate up that way providing service. Verizon also has service in Oregon.

Battery life is dependent on several things. You shouldn't have to worry about this as long as you get the car charger (a unit that plugs into your cigarette lighter). The only way I can see a dead battery becoming an issue is if you are stuck on some backroad, your car battery dies and you talk for a hours on your phone.

A discussion about &quot;best battery&quot; would be inconsequential because typically you can only buy OEM products anyway. Any after-market products are not rated so much better as to make them a more appealing buy. If you are extremely worried about it, buy yourself a few of the manufacturer's extended life batteries (if available) and keep them charged. I used to carry 3 batteries with me because of extensive driving.

Feel free to contact me directly if you feel I can be of further service: yoda2u@ureach.com