Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Best Prepaid Service for NC

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by TheCellularPhone, Dec 20, 2007.

1. TheCellularPhone

TheCellularPhone New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola DROID2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon - Former: Virgin Mobile, Alltel, SunCom
    Hey all

Just trying to get some opinions/experiences from anyone that has a prepaid service with anyone. I will possibly have to get a prepaid phone the end of this month. Most of my activity is going to be in NC(Raleigh/Durham area, occasionally Charlotte/Rock Hill, SC), but I want the option of being able to use it in California(have some family there). I've done a little research and I personally have narrowed it down to AT&T GoPhone and Virgin Mobile if I want a somewhat nice phone(I'm a sucker for Motorola and/or flip phones with options). Tracfone and Net10 may be options if I give up having a nice phone. I'm kinda going every which way here. I hope someone can help me out. I know a lot of you have contract phones, though:D

2. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    If you're satisfied with the alltel's coverage, as you have them listed as your provider, you may want to consider alltelU if you haven't thought about that or didn't know it existed. It's very similar to the GoPhone plans with pay-per-day, pay-per-minute, and pay-per-month but are a little less than GoPhone plans and are an overall competitively priced pre-paid. In California, alltel's pre-paid still roams at no extra charge on Sprint and Verizon but do require double-dialing. And you can also use any phone that that alltel sells with contract plans except smartphones.
    But if you're mainly around Charlotte and Raleigh, I'd stick to either the alltel network or AT&T's with a GoPhone. Virgin Mobile uses Sprint, but does not include all of Sprint's roaming partners and is probably the one I would say to avoid.

Tracfone and net10 are the same company, and they use different networks depending on the area. Usually, it seems like they use the AT&T network the most and probably would if you bought it in Raleigh. So really, it depends on which one works out the best for your calling habits, and which networks you'd be satisfied with in your area.

3. TheCellularPhone

My Phone:
    Motorola DROID2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    It's funny how you say that. While I was out today I realized I had forgotten all about U prepaid. I've got a stupid question though. If I have an Alltel phone, but it's still active and the account has an outstanding balance, could I sooner or later switch it to Alltel prepaid or would I have to buy another phone?

4. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    This is assuming you have more then one line or/and not still under contract.....You can, but i think you would have to tell Alltel that you want to temporarily deactivate that postpaid line or switch it to a cheap phone, but they may be able to do it without that. Then you have to pay the activation and initial balance for a prepaid number, i think the activation is 35, then you pay 20 dollars for opening balance. Then they just program the number into the phone you moved from the active account. The phone will work fine in California. You can roam for free on Verizon and Sprint. Although you will have to double dial, but that is a small inconvenience considering the coverage you get for the price, and there are ways to mostly bypass that.....let me know if you want to know how to....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. TheCellularPhone

My Phone:
    Motorola DROID2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    So, basically I should be able to take the phone that's on the second line(it's a family choice plan) and make that one prepaid, but NOT the primary line even with the balance being the way it is.

6. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yes.

The only thing is if you are still under contract for the line the phone use to be under you will need to keep paying the bill even if the phone line is not in use. If it's just an extra line and not under contract then you don't need to worry about it. Just call them, tell them to release the ESN number of the phone from that line or replace it with another. Then call into them again or get transfered (or do it in the store) and tell them you would like to put this phone on a U prepaid plan. There is an activation fee, which will give you the new prepaid phone number, and a initial account balance minimum of 20. Then after that you can add any amount even a dollar to keep the account going if you don't end up using the balance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    How are you able to add just a dollar to keep it going?!? I usually add money online or by phone and I am required to add a minimum of $10.

8. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    If you pay them in the store they can do it for only a dollar. I'm sure it only extends it the minimum amount of time though. Unless you have one of the older plans then they don't really expire.

9. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Ah... I do have one of the older plans where I must use at least one minute per month or lose $4 from the balance. The balance does not have a expiration date. This has happened to me a few times. Luckily i already had a zero balance. I just wait another 30 days for the balance fo go from -$4 back to 0 and then I add funds.

I may have to visit a store and have them add a couple of dollars ...

10. TheCellularPhone

My Phone:
    Motorola DROID2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sorry to keep bringing this back up. Does AT&T GoPhone have an activation fee? I'm looking at the website and it doesn't look like it has a charge. Right now, the only way I will go with Alltel is if I can get those phones on U prepaid since I want my wife and I both to have phones and that's still over $100 just to get started with U prepaid.

11. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    No, AT&T does not charge an activation fee for its prepaid services. The Pay as you Go plan includes $10 in airtime as well.

You can buy a refurbished phone for as little as $10; new phones start around $20. Their online deals are hard to beat... the corporate stores/telesales tend not to have the same selection or deals. So if you see a good deal online, just pounce on it!

12. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You wont have any issue getting those phones on U prepaid and you won't have to buy new phones just for Alltel Prepaid. My comments were more account status related, there isn't an issue changing the equipment to another line.

It seems right now At&t is waiving the activation fee, right now Alltel isn't. But you may want to check with an actual store or an authorized dealer as they are willing to make concessions every now and then if you explain why you would like it waived and show them that att is not charging it.

You need to know what plan, or whether you are going with per minute, monthly, or what ever. With base pay per minute Go phone is 25 cents a minute, 15 cents a minute for alltel. Alltel has four networks you can use, go phone has one. You will have to buy phones for go phone, you won't for alltel.

The per day for go phone is $1 dollar then 10 cents i think....alltel's is 75 cents and then 10 cents.

Monthly plans vary though, don't really want to list all of them lol...

13. maa1775

maa1775 New Member

My Phone:
    TM 506
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T Mobile
    I would stay away from Alltel. I have a friend who's paying $70 a month for prepaid, to include unlimited texting. She can recieve texts, but can't send them. Customer service says, it could take up to 10 days to get it fixed. Sounds like a deal to me:censored:

14. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I'm sorry you have no clue what you are talking about. A simple technical glitch and you should stay away from alltel? Okay I guess Att is in trouble their network data goes down about once every few months system wide. Suncom.....they shouldn't even be considered a wireless carrier, plus they were just bought by t-mobile because they couldn't make any money. Verizon has glitches a lot, but you never hear about them on the large scale because they cover them up. Sprint, almost as bad as suncom in some markets. But at least they have put effort into solving their network woes.

15. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I would also recommend against Alltel prepaid especially if you want to take it to California. Which has no native Alltel coverage, this might cause problems. I'd recommend Virgin Mobile, Sprint's network coverage is pretty good and Virgin Mobile seems to have the most options plan wise and phone wise of any prepaid company that I have seen. In my opinion based on overall coverage, phone options, plan choices, not to meantion customer service. Virgin Mobile is the best company to go with for prepaid service.

16. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    My Alltel phone worked great on Verizon & Sprint's network in California when I went there 8-2007.
    Free roaming on those networks, and great coverage all over the Bay Area and on I-80 between SF & Sacramento.
    and on I-5 between Sacramento & Medford, OR (free roaming on US Cellular in OR, as well as Western NC).

Alltel has some native coverage in CA, but just barely, in 3 rural counties (Inyo, Mono & Imperial)
    including near Yuma, El Centro, Death Valley, Bishop & Mammouth Lakes.
    Otherwise free roaming on Verizon & Sprint, which is great.

I would stay away from Tracfone, it's expensive and reloading minutes is a big hassle, and if you leave your immediate area,
    you will be roaming almost anywhere else in the country (and that takes 2 units for each minute, instead of 1).

My brother had Tracfone for a few months in 2005, and it was our only phone while moving from Las Vegas to South Carolina,
    which was roaming 98% of the trip.

Alltel U Prepaid, IMO is the best option for quality & value, when compared to other prepaid services.
    Alltel prepaid customers get unlimited calling to one number.

I reccomend Alltel if you live in their coverage area. I couldn't be any happier,
    I even forget that I'm under contract because the service is that good. :D

17. maa1775

maa1775 New Member

My Phone:
    TM 506
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T Mobile

18. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):

19. maa1775

maa1775 New Member

My Phone:
    TM 506
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T Mobile

20. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):

21. sandyandi

sandyandi New Member

STRUNKE! someone told me i should talk to u. im havn probs with some alltel stuff. could u help me? :)

22. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sure what's up?

23. sandyandi

sandyandi New Member

well ive recently come to understand (after i told you i needed your help...sorry) that i simply cant have a smartphone on an alltel prepaid account and there is NO way to get around that. I thought with a change of the ESN number and some other programming it might be but everyone has said its impossible. so i bought a new cdma alltel moto q off ebay (cant return-its past 7 days) and idk what to do with it. i also need to find a unlocked gsm at&t moto q. i was gonna take the gsm one and just put a prepaid sim card in it but i heard the charges would be unbarable. but THENN i did some research on suncom and i got the impression that they allow ANY phone to be on their prepaid accounts...but im not 100% sure (the same thing happened when i thought i could do it with alltel, and i ended up not being able to). so all in all..............do u have any advice?