Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Best Phones for AT&T Wireless?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by sasparella, Jul 1, 2002.

1. sasparella

sasparella New Member

Best Phones for AT&T Wireless?

Could someone recommend the best phone to use w/ AT&T Wireless? We're located right outside the Philly Int'l and the free Nokia 5165's leave a lot to be desired. Poor audio quality where we often have to drop the call (the calls usually don't drop on their own). We can't figure out for the life of us why such poor quality. We're being told we have two towers within a mile of us either way but service continues to be incredibly poor.
    Does anyone think it's the phone? Any recommendations on better phones to use?

2. Japultra

Japultra New Member

Nokia just came out with two new phones for AT&T -> the 6360 and the 8265. You can look up info on the 6360 on the AT&T site but not the 8265 (although it is available - my friend is a cell dealer and I saw the model for sale in his shop). Also, the v60 is a pretty nice phone you may want to try.

3. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    ATT sucks in the philly market, I'd go with any other carrier there.

4. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I would go with

Sprint PCS, Verizon, Voicestream (alphabetical order)

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Actually VS isn't too hot around the area either, I'd recommend Cingular or Verizon, and Sprint only if you stay in the metro areas (if you plan on going on to Amish country or something for the weekend, Verizon is the best, then Cingular in terms of coverage)

6. Guest

Guest Guest

phone to use w/ AT&T Wireless? We're located right outside the Philly Int'l and the free Nokia 5165's leave a lot to be desired. Poor audio quality where we often have to drop the call (the calls usually don't drop on their own). We can't figure out for the life of us why such poor quality. We're being told we have two towers within a mile of us either way but service continues to be incredibly poor.
    ------

Up until a year ago, calls were always dropped once I crossed over the Girard Point Bridge southbound, right around the airport exit. Today, I haven't experienced any notable problems with AT&T Wireless in the Philly region. In fact, the roaming agreement with Cingular complements service when in areas with faint 1900 mhz signals. I usually manually select Cingular and leave my phone turned on and locked onto their signal.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Cingular is hot in Philly, however I notice the network becomes congested between 3 and 7pm here in Philly. I haven't noticed any network congestion with AT&T. Phone wise, I'd recommend a 3360 over the 5165..

8. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The 8260 and 3360 are the best Nokia phones for AT&T and Cingular.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

The Panasonic EB-TX310 "Allure" has great audio quality compared to the 5165.

10. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Bobolito does Cingular (TDMA side) carry the Nokia 6360?

11. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    I'd have to agree with the comments here. The 5165 is total garbage(atleast it was in my area). It's free for a reason. [​IMG] I hear great things about the V60 if it's in your price range.

12. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Dave, I quite rather enjoy my Nokia 5165. My mom and grandmother also have the Nokia 5165 under SunCom and we are all happy with our phone's.

The only problem I had with mine is about 6-7 months down the line my phone started to shut off by itself and the phone was doing it more often as time went by. I went by SunCom and they said it was the battery and popped me in a new one for free. Ever since then I've had no trouble with the phone.

13. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Decent basic phone

Jack

14. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    Dan,
    As I said, it could have been something to do with my area. In my area, TDMA doesn't seem to work very well, whether it be Cingular or AT&T. In fairness, I'm sure my opinion of the 5165 is probably influenced by the poor quality of service I was getting. The one thing I can say about the 5165 that is in no way connected to the service I was getting is that it is pretty large and for some reason lacks a vibrate mode.

15. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yes, you have to purchase a special battery to get the vibrate to work on a Nokia 5165. No big deal for me though as I never had a need for that feature.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a Nokia 5165 on ATTWS . I am impressed by its still being in good operating condition after being dropped over and over ( in a leather case ). I also like having and external antenna connection and lots of low cost aftermarket accessories available.

Howerver .... I is a little bulky . I am not so sure if its RF reception and transmission capabilities as as good as other phones . As I use the phone in Atlanta ( a very bad AT&T 1900 mhz coverage area ) , I am thing about upgrading. Is there any other phone out there worth buying ( for not too much $) which would significantly improve reception for me .

17. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    PRobally the 3360

Jack

18. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    TNDAN, Cingular is not offering the 6360 right now. It is still tentative so they might offer it later on. However, AT&T is now offering it.

19. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    AT&T, SunCom (Triton PCS), and SunCom (TeleCorp soon to be AT&T Wireless) now offer the Nokia 6360. I was just wondering about Cingular. I'm not very familar with Cingular on the TDMA side as I live in a GSM Market.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

I've had a 5165, 3360, and now have a 6360 on AT&T WS in the DC metro area.

The 5165 was serviceable. I never saw a real difference in reception between it and the 3360. If there was, it wasn't noticeable. But the 6360 seems to be better than the 3360.

My main complaints with the 5165 were: it's a brick, thick, and heavy; and I hate the single-soft button. The 3360 and 6360 have two.

But it survived some rough knocks...
    But it's still the phone they are giving away for free...

See if your vendor has a 15- or 30-day replacement plan. I'm sure they'd love to sell you a more expensive phone. [​IMG]