Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Best phone?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Simple question, what phone is the BEST today? (USA/Canada market only)

1. Nokia 6160
    2. Motorola v60
    3. Nokia 8260
    4. Panasonic DuraMax
    5. Nokia 3360

what else I missed?
    Your ideas?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Nextel's Motorola i90c

3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Another one of those impossible questions. All of them and none of them, depending on who you ask.

The v60(t) reportedly had problems, but some people swear its the best they've ever had.

Between the 6160 and 8260, I preferred the 6160 for dependability and the 8260 for its slim design.

The 8260 has been consistently rated by readers here as having better sound quality than the 3360.

Regarding Panasonic, I currently own the Allure. I also started a user group on Yahoo on Nov.22 and already have 77 users across the country. (I also own a 5160 which my wife carries.)

I think the Nokia products have better sound quality than the Allure, but the Allure is still acceptable in that category. Since the Allure is voice-dial/voice-command, Panasonic has beat Nokia (in the TDMA arena) to market in that respect. Nokia was reportedly releasing the 6360 which is voice-dialed, but ATT claims it is not going to market that phone.

Since all the phones you list are TDMA, I am assuming you are only considering ATT, ATT/Rogers, Suncom or one of their affiliates.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

KevinJames, you are right.
    It is about ATT phones.
    Why I put all those phone to compare?
    B/c IMHO Nokia looks like the best phone maker, but Panasonic phones ..., their land wireless phones are the best for a few years in a row.
    8260 is toooooo small to feel it comfortable in a hands. It's not easy to dial any number on this phone and do not press two buttons at the same time. I it is impossible to manilulate with buttons if I'm on a phone.
    I really like this article at (and absolutly agree with author): http://www.epinions.com/elec-review-430C-4AAF2D9-3A270757-prod1
    I;d like to consider Panasonic phones too and get some responses from experienced users.
    My problem is that I can't find anything/anywhere on Panasonic cellular phones, like their sound, reception quality and etc...

if you have any idea where to read about them, give me a clue

5. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
  6. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well it looks like this thread is really favoring TDMA phones but since I'm prejudiced toward CDMA I will list a few of my own.

Sanyo 5150
    TP 5200/5250
    Kyocera 2255
    Kyocera 3035

I currently use the 2255 and have also started a group on Yahoo for that model at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sprintusers

I only have 36 members so far but hopefully will add more.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Kevin, I sure hope whoever told you that AT&T was not going to offer the Nokia 6360, was mistaken. I have been looking forward to getting that phone. There are a lot of us who love the 6160, and was looking forward to the newer technology that will fit the same car handsfree kit. According to an AT&T business rep that I know, he said that there are a lot of business customers out in the field, such as work for electrical companies, telephone companies, oil field, etc. that use them with the handsfree kits in their cars and trucks. AT&T will have a lot of very unhappy business customers, if they choose not to offer it. The only Nokia phone that is compatable that they are offering now, is the 5165, and it is not as good for business purposes as the 6160 & 6162, which have been dropped. I would like to stay with AT&T, but if they don't pick it up and Cingular does, then I may go with Cingular just to get the phone. Nokia must have worked out a deal with AT&T or Cingular, or both of them, because of Nokia unveiling it in a newsletter. But I guess that only time will tell what cellular provider will actually pick it up. I have heard that cellular providers keep their new phones secret until the last minute, in order to get rid of their remaining stock of older phones they are discontinuing.
    Thanks,
    Wayne

8. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Wayne,

I also am very disappointed. It was just one source and I cannot verify it one way or the other. At first, when I had heard it was coming out, the February/March 2002 timeframe had been mentioned. So, if you can hold out a few months before upgrading (I wasn't quite sure from your post why you were considering leaving your 6160) see if anything does become of the phone. I am still hopeful, but I base my hope stickly on desire, not fact.

Kevin

9. hudoff

hudoff New Member

I like Motorola phones and they USED to be made as if your life depended on them. I have used StarTac, Qualcomm and now have a new Motorola 270C, a wonderful speakerphone with loud and clear audio and an excellent display. I am very happy with the phone and not too happy with the cradle which isn't too secure. The menu seems intuitive and the SMS service works well too.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

motorola timeport 8767

11. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

best phone= nokia 3360 ot kyocera 2135

sweetboxx

12. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

kyocera 2135 is not a bad phone either

Barbara
    Hammonton,NJ

13. goodjasonhunting

14. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

the best are

the SANYO SCP 5150, most any Samsung phone is excellent, the new colour Sony Ericcson GSM phone for AT&T
    motorola v60 is overrated, the nextel i90c is great though.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

I really like my motorola timeport 270c.......for where I live compared to a couple of other phones I can actually pick up a cell with it, the speaker phone and voice commands are a great feature, easy to handle and you know you have something in your hand, good voice clarity, blue tooth tech...etc,,,etc..[​IMG]

16. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

I have the following phones:
    motorola i50sx ....great sound quality- Nextel
    Kyocera 2235- Great sound quality- Verizon
    AudioVox CDMA 3300 - great sound quality - MCI WorldCom
    Nokia 3360- Great sound quality( if I can get a decent signal from Voicesteam!!)[​IMG]

17. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    sweet

that would be the motorola 3390 from voicestream not 3360

also my motorla timeport 270c works good

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

Oops I stand corrected Jack.......either Way......I have trouble with a signal with it, also with getting it open........actually had to pry it open and ended up breaking it the first day I received it.......and ended up calling to buy a new back .... I called Nokia, who says it is a idosyncrasy of their product.....[​IMG][​IMG]

19. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

u sure they said idiosyncracy? or maybe that it was one of their IdioTechnologies. [​IMG]

20. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

What were you trying to get it open for? Surely not the faceplate; All you have to do is push the button down in the back, and push up. I have the Nokia 3390, and am very happy with it. I got it when Voicestream first released it, but I think I am going to get the Sony Ericsson T68i when they release that. I heard it is suppose to come out in May for Voicestream. They are suppose to get the Motorola v.60(g) tomorrow, but anything that Sony makes, I want it.

21. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

I am more into the High Tech phones.............so here they go

Kyocera 6035

Well it is the only phone I have tested that is in the Smart Phone catagory hehe[​IMG]
    I have replied to these type of threads toooooool much, best phone, it depends what you are using it for......

Durability: Startac
    Signal: Motorola
    Features: Kyocera
    looks: Samsung & Kyocera
    Accrys: Nokia

22. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

Well Aiwa I was trying to get the back off to put the battery in...and yes I did push the button and no I wasn't taking the faceplate off! The button was very obviously defective. After having 5 strong men at work try getting it off and 3 women.....one of which broke her nail, we ened up using a letter opener. I called Nokia to complain that they stated that their 3390 has that problem. After ordering a new one, I no longer have the problem.

Too bad you jumped to conclusions without knowing the facts or the whole story

SweetBoXx[​IMG]

23. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

I'm sorry SweetboXx. I guess I did jump to conclusions.