Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Best phone option for Verizon (New York City)?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

What is the best phone option for Verizon? I live in NYC. Interested in best sound quality and signal sensitivity. Willing to spend the dollars if need be.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Motorola V60, hands down.

3. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    The V60 is a nice phone but I think it's a bit overpriced for what it is. The signal is good as is the form factor but I dislike the menu layout and it's just so expensive. Still if you're willing to spring for it by all means go for it. Other options are the Samsung T300, Kyocera 2235, and LG 510 or VX-1. All are great phones. The T300 can be had for as little as 30 bucks from an online promo so that's something to think about if price is a large factor for you. CNET's Top 5 Verizon picks

4. spedprof

spedprof New Member

Any thoughts on waiting for the new Verizon phones that have been mentioned elsewhere in this or the phones forum?

5. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    For what I've noticed, Motorola is not very good at designing the menu structure or making phones easy to use. The V120, V60, Startac, Timeport, Talkabout models are some examples. Not many can say they are easy to use.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I was over at my friend's place last night and we were in his basement watching tv. His basement is notorious for getting little or no signal. Much to my suprise, my T300 was getting between 2 and 3 bars of signal strentgh in digital mode(which is odd because the other night when I was over there it jumped into analog). My other friend had just got a new Kyocera 2235 to replace his aging Audiovox and it was getting between 0 and 2 was still working. It did however drop a call when I was listening to an amusing voicemail message that someone left him, but the fact that we were in a concrete walled basement probably has something to do with that. It seemed to work great otherwise and had a good feel to it, like a more refined version of the 2135. What's even more odd is that my other friend's sprint pcs phone (an older samsung flip) which normally kicks into analog was also getting about 1-2 bars of strentgh. Very odd indeed. In any case, given the results of my experience last night I'd say that the T300 or 2235 seem like a good bet.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

On the other hand, all these new phones will be shall we say, 1.0 versions. Unproven. Meanwhile the v60i is at least the second generation of the v60 series.

8. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Anonymous,
    That comment is completely untrue. The phones mentioned share similar menus to previous models(my T300 is alot like some of the older Sprint PCS samsungs in terms of menus and features) and they all use the Qualcomm CDMA chip so their implementation of the CDMA technology is proven. Also, the software on the phones can be updated so I'd say the phones are far from "1.0 versions". Motorola does not use the qualcomm chip but their own chip which works equally well. If you ask me, people who think the V60 is the greatest phone are more concerned with style than substance. The V60 is nice but it's not for everyone.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Is it? Tell that to all the people who had problems with the earlier v60 series antennas or all the earlier (and some later) StarTacs with their battery and reception problems. I'm sure there are many other examples.

Leading edge can be bleeding edge, especially in electronics products, no doubt about it! Best advice, as always, is to wait awhile follow this and other forums and let the early buyers give you their impressions.

10. spedprof

spedprof New Member

Stopped in a Verizon store yesterady and was told that new phones woould be available in mid-September. Any reason not to wait four weeks?

11. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Ok Anonymous, if it is like you said, then when is Motorola going to move from version 1.0? It's been a while since the Startacs came out hasn't it? They should've been in version 3.0 by now. 2G is on the way out soon and Motorola in Version 1.0?.....I highly doubt it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I don't even know what you're disagreeing with. I said in my post that the other phones mentioned (the T300, 2235, etc) are not 1.0 releases as anonymous said above(not sure if you are the same anonymous that I was responding to or not). I agree that Motorolas have had problems in the past that may or may not be fixed with the V60i. All I'm refuting is that according to the one post the V60 is tried and tested while other phones are buggy and untested. From everything I've read, it seems like if the V60i fixes the brittle antenna, all the phones mentioned are well tested and work well.