Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Best Phone for Seniors?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by NoBite, Feb 1, 2008.

1. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Was AT&T - now Cingular - oops, now AT&T again.
    My wife and I have an AT&T Family Plan. Soon I will add a phone for my parents, who are in their 80's. I am looking for something very simple, larger numbers are better, no frills required!

Is the Nokia 6030 still available? Are there other good choices from Nokia?

2. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    crackberry's
    i like the 6126 for older people, it has large buttons and you can enlarge the numbers on the screen also.

3. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Uh-oh. I chose the Nokia 6085. Did I do okay?

The local AT&T Store was very busy and I could not get anyone to wait on me. So, I looked around and then got on the net to search phone reviews. The 6085 seems like a real good phone with a good speakerphone, one of my priorities. I plan to use this phone myself for a week or until I am thoroughly familiar with it before introducing it to my parents. In the meantime, I asked them to make a list of phone numbers they might call, especially in case of any type of emergency.

4. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    yea that one is very much like the 6126. both very good. should work out just fine.

5. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Eric - Well, something really odd happened along the way of procuring a phone for my parents. My order was refused, twice!!

It went through on the web and I thought all was well, only to receive an email telling me my order was cancelled because it failed credit validation. I hope the cause of this is something simple that I overlooked or input incorrectly. We have been a Cingular/AT&T customer for quite some time and do not have a credit problem. The email goes on to suggest that I consider a GO PHONE.

This has me confused and bit put off. There is a toll-free number to call to discuss the issue, which I will do Monday during their business hours.

It does no good to get upset in advance of having the facts, but I do have one question. Since I am currently not under contract to AT&T, if they seriously step in it here, I will consider switching all my business to another supplier. In my parents' area Alltel has a good reputation and there are some folks around here using them. Anything I should be aware of when considering such a switch?

6. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    how many times has your service been interrupted for non-payment in the past year?

also have you considered going into the store? they will price match and at least you will get service and answers right then

7. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Truth is, I have NEVER had my service interrupted for non-payment!

Today I spent over 90 minutes talking to five different departments with AT&T. No one could explain why my credit failed their review process. Finally, I was told I could add the third line if I paid a $300 deposit! So, I said Wait a minute. The line I want to add is an additional $10 a month. I am willing to sign a new 2-year contract. That means AT&T will be risking that I will make good on $240 in additional payments. So, you really expect that I will pre-pay 30 months worth of service for a 24-month contract! I told them I would not only NOT do that, but that if they could not explain what was wrong with my credit they would lose the two lines I already have with them.

After an additional ten minute wait, the fellow came back on the line and said that I did not have a business account, I had a personal account. Well, of course I have a personal account! He said his supervisor will waive the $300 deposit and I can proceed to make a purchase. How amazingly generous of them to ALLOW me to remain a customer!!!

I do not and have not had credit problems with AT&T or anyone else. But, they have got me concerned to know what is in my credit report that would have it flagged in their system!

I placed an order today for the 6126. The order went through, as the previous ones did. Let's see the status tomorrow. If this mess is not fixed as the last fellow said it should be, I'm gone.

8. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    This has been a cluster_ _ _ _! Two more failed orders. Long story short, I got a supervisor tonight that walked my order through the entire process and got me a phone number and phone on the way. She could not find anything in my credit history that should have triggered the problems I have had. I now have a confirmation email saying my order has been processed. We'll see.

I am starting to wonder if the entire process isn't geared toward funneling folks to the GoPhone, something AT&T can make more money on?

9. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    hmm well im glad it finally worked out.

My main thing is that if you went into a store you wouldnt have these problems. For some reason online and over the phone sales just doesnt work, in fact i dont think that stores and face to face interaction will ever phase out, no matter how modernized society becomes, because there is no replacement for it.

i think that you will find that the 6126 is a pretty good phone on reception/visibility/easy user interface. all the stuff a senior might need/want.

hopefully one day they can at least make online/phone sales good enough that people can at least do it with few problems though im not sure that will happen with any company ever.

10. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Eric, you might be right about the service angle! I finally did get someone who took a personal interest in my situation. She sent me a follow-up email with her name, a summary of the details of the transaction and an expected delivery date. I have a tracking number and have checked my account and find that the third line has been added, with a phone number. So, soon I will be exploring the 6126.

The discounted equipment deals are only available online. Now, isn't that just curious?

Anyway, I hope to have everything running smoothly soon. Thanks for your support along the way!

11. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    you can discounted equipment in the store with better service. think about it like this, those people in those stores are selling for a living. that means that they are going to make a commision naturally. if you ask for an online price match, do you think that they are going to let you walk out of the store? if they are in their right mind they wont ;)

12. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Okay, well there is nothing to lose by giving that a try!

Here are a couple of questions for you.

My wife and I currently have Nokia phones with SIM cards. I have been giving serious thought to upgrading our phones to the 6126. It would allow me to always have the phone at hand to answer my parents' questions that might arise. So: 1) would our current SIM cards simply plug into the 6126? And, 2) since I have just now added the third line, and subsequently signed a new 2-yr lease agreement, do you think AT&T would let me go ahead and upgrade our existing two phones at no extra charge?

We have been customers long enough that we were past our contract until last Friday when I (finally) got the third line added. On the net both of our phones show they are eligible for upgrades.

Any advice is welcome!

13. hme83

hme83 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    You can upgrade your two existing lines to the 6126 and simply move your current SIMs over to the new phones. I would keep the unactivated SIMs that come with your new phones on hand in case you ever need one. (If you have your account information transferred over to the new SIM and activate it, you will no longer be able to use your old SIM.)

Each line within a family account is subject to an initial contract; so you just signed a two year agreement for the new line on your family account. If you upgrade through at&t for discounted new equipment, then you will sign a new two year agreement for each of your existing lines as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Fantastic news, hme83.

New issue -

I wonder if there is a WRONG way to give a battery its initial charge? The reason for asking is because I charged the battery for the new 6126 overnight. One time, early in the charge, I turned on the phone just to make real sure I had inserted the battery properly. The phone did come on, barely. I immediately turned it off and left it off all night. This morning when I turned on the phone, the screen showed a bunch of garbled gook. I randomly punched some menu keys and the screen did, briefly, show a menu screen. Then, that screen faded in and out and finally nothing. Blank. I have turned the phone off, removed and reinserted the battery. No difference.

I'm betting there is something real simple I am forgetting to do. At least I hope that's the deal. I will take the phone to the local AT&T store tomorrow unless I read a tip here tonight!

TIA.

15. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    hmm im not sure, are you certain that the sim card and battery were both in properly? that definetly is important.

i definetly would suggest having someone at a store take a look at that. if need be maybe they will swap it out for you.

16. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Okay, finally got to the bottom of the mystery. The screen was broken on the 6126 they sent me. I returned it to the local store today. The guy there contacted a CSR and got me a replacement phone on order. I also upgraded my wife's phone and my phone to the 6126. While at it, I got a Jawbone for my new phone. Everything shows up as in transit. I am going to have AT&T disable all non-essential features of the phone I give my Mom. No reason for her to get confused by accidentally activating a media button or texting screen. She will use only the most basic features. Having the other features disabled will be an asset to her.

17. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    yea they will do that no problem. sorry to hear you had screen issues, that is rare with that phone. hopefully u will have much better luck with your other ones.

18. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Now Have a Good 6126... New Questions!

Eric, I am going to continue in this thread in hopes you will find these questions. You have been quite helpful!

I have charged and activated my Mom's new 6126. All contacts have been entered. I even activated bluetooth on my MAC and on the 6126 and used the file transfer utility to send a couple of pictures from iPhoto to the 6126. I wanted my brother's picture and a special ring tone to activate when he calls home and my picture and a different ring tone when I call home. I accomplished this by creating two groups and assigning ring tones to each. I attached pictures to my brother's contact and to my contact.

However, I have found that in the Address Book, both Groups are listed. This could be confusing. Is there a way to have them NOT appear in the Address Book?

Also, there are two addresses pre-programmed into the Address Book that I don't understand:
    Voice Connect
    *Now

What do these do? I am thinking of deleting them, but want to make sure my Mom really would not need them. Thanks!

#18 NoBite, Feb 16, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  19. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    Re: Now Have a Good 6126... New Questions!

im not super sure about the address book question. what do you mean by there is group listings? that might be something you can merge possible and delete the folder.

also the voice connect and *now are extra features you probably wont need, just delete them if it lets you (which it might not)

if you could describe about the address book i will do my best to help you.

glad to see that the phone is working well for you :)

20. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Address Book Listing

Thanks, again, Eric. I deleted the two strange contacts in the Address Book with no consequences.

With my Nokia 3120 you could create a Group, which is a collection of Contacts that will share common traits, such as a ring tone. I created one, for instance, called Family. When someone from my family calls me, the ring tone is different than it is for any other caller. I wanted to do the same thing for my Mom with her 6126. So, that's what I did. I created two Groups. One includes just my brother. The other includes my land line and cell phone. Each group has a distinctive ring tone. In this manner, Mom will soon know she is getting a call from me or my brother just by the ring tone.

With the 3120, your Groups have no place in the Address Book. With the 6126, when you page through the Address Book you will actually see each Group listed by its name. If you select a Group via the Address Book, it opens up to show you a list of the members' Contacts.

I really see no purpose for this as it is redundant. The Contacts of the members of the Groups are already listed in the Address Book independently of their Groups!

I am questioning whether there is a way to NOT show the Groups in the Address Book, just let them have their functionality without having a place in the Address Book.

21. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I found the answer! You CAN attach tones to contacts. It's under the "Add Details" menu within a given Contact. I did that and deleted the Groups. Done!!

All is well. I have written a tutorial for my Mom and will be shipping the phone to her Monday. Ours should arrive mid-week.

The best discovery was that by using Bluetooth and my Mac, I can send files directly to the phone without the need for extra software. That is very cool.

22. Eric47

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    glad you found you answer.

the wonderment of TRULY open handsets and the ability to Bluetooth file transfer is definetly a joy to have :)

23. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...