Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Best network in Portland?

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by izzyjizzy, May 18, 2006.

1. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Or they could send the Verizon guy out to Northern AZ and test the network. :D

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Come on, Larry. We could all send the Verizon, Cingular, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc. guys/girl out to test the network in places where they are notoriously bad. Should we all start playing this game???

3. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well I wouldn't want the Sprint guy going up Hwy 395. :D

#33 larry, May 26, 2006
    Last edited: May 29, 2006
  4. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    In that region Rural Cellular is not in the PRL and only roams on them when it can't find US Cellular's network on old Americas Choice and other plans. Verizon perfers you to roam on Rural Cellular in MN where VZW does not have a network and it is in the PRL ;).

5. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

i believe you,
    it's hard to define best Network.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    LOL... no it isn't. It is very easy to define. The best network is the one that has the best coverage for the most number of people.

What is not possible to state is that the best network will work for everyone, because it patently will not.

Verizon is the best network in Portland - there is no doubt about it. I live here and I know enough people with various carriers to come to this very clear conclusion. However, as kjo indicates, just because Verizon is the best for most people, it may not be the best for all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Excellently said, and since it is not best for all, even though you live in the area and know Verizon's network is better, Cingular still has more advantages for you and your travel/talk patterns.

8. Scrumhalf

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Yes M2M is what's keeping me on Cingular since most of my family is on Cingular. Well, that and the fact that I have no great motivation to change as I have been pretty much metro-bound most of the time and Cingular works everywhere I normally go. If I venture into Eastern Oregon more, I may be inclined to consider one of the CDMA carriers.

9. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

You should say 'the best network for me'. The 'best network' claim implies that it will be true for everyone which you yourself admit is not true. Semantics are very,very important when communicating and marketing people know that leaving one work out like that changes the entire meaning of a statement. No matter how many people you think you know that use Verizon or any other provider the data is not complete and may contain bias thus can not be considered accurate.

'Best' is a very subjective term. We should relate out own experiences with our own current providers and leave the fluff out as it becomes conjecture at that point.

G.

10. Scrumhalf

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Actually, I couldn't disagree with you more.

I specifically didn't say "the best network for me" because it ISN'T the best network for me. I need free M2M with my family who are all on Cingular, so Verizon is NOT the best network for me.

However, Verizon has the best coverage and performance of all the networks in the PDX area and that is the how most people define "best network" - the best for the most number of people, not the best for all the people.

While I admit I didn't do a statistically sound analysis, I have talked to enough people living all over the Portland metro area - westside in Beaverton/Hillsboro, unincorporated Washington county, southside near Tigard and Tualatin, east Portland and into the eastern suburbs of Clackamas county, etc. to conclude that Verizon is indeed superior to the others.

However, that does not mean that there aren't people for whom Verizon is a poor match, either due to calling patterns like myself or due to coverage issues like kjo.

Anyway this thread is getting to be:deadhorse

11. Rasputin

Rasputin Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple Iphone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon
    My brother lives in Portland and has had the best success with Verizon, and Verizon works well when I am in Portland, and the greater Clackamas area. Sprint worked ok for my brother, but he was making a lot of calls on the Verizon Network.