Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Best Coverage in State of DE

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by NYPD, Jul 13, 2002.

1. NYPD

NYPD New Member

Interested in finding out which carrier has the best coverage in the State of DE.

I've used VS in Wilmington and Dover with no problems.

Used Verizon in Wilmington and Dover and was a bit weak.

Used Cingular in Wilmington and it's pretty good, better than VS.

Anybody have any experiences that they can share?

Thanks!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I have used AT&T/Cingular and did not experience any problems.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I have Sprint PCS. When I go back to Delaware to visit family & friends, I notice that my phone has troubles keeping a Sprint signal in some suburbs in the Pike Creek area.

4. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    LOL, ATT SUCKS here! They might have a total of like 5 towers. Cingular has OK coverage, their rural is decent, but their phones don't work too well on analog since they do not have extendable antennas (most of my friends have them). Sprint has a decent network but it's a little fragile. Verizon here is excellant, Bell Atlantic had a great coverage area, and Verizon actually keeps improving it! I'm in Smyrna (10mi north of Dover). I don't know anyone with ATT (since they have no towers down here), or Voicestream. Voicestreams coverage just seems a little too small, hopefully they improve it, they cover *some* of the highways, but not enough for me. I need good country signals, which would be Verizon and then Cingular. I find it odd that Verizon was weak, I have never seen a place where the coverage wasn't at least 2 bars digital, sometimes it will go from 4 to 2 though, so it seems wierd, but they overall have the best network here.

1) Verizon
    2) Cingular or Sprint
    3) Nextel
    4) Don't bother with anyone else unless you stay in New Castle County.

5. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

If you are happy with Voicestream and Cingular, why don't you stay with them? Of course, I recommend Voicestream.

6. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Chris I think he was just wondering how people's phone worked in the state, it doesn't seem like he was asking for a specific reason. Chris, please look at Voicestreams DE coverage....it's kinda sad (not as bad as ATT), tell them to expand here! [​IMG]

7. Guest

Guest Guest

3G Americas Demystifies GSM Voice CapacityRysavy Research White Paper Confirms - GSM Doubles TDMA Capacity and Is Equal to or Better Than CDMA
    7/18/2002
    BELLEVUE, Wash., Jul 18, 2002 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- 3G Americas today published a white paper written by independent expert Peter Rysavy of Rysavy Research concluding that wireless carriers that transform their TDMA networks to the world standard GSM wireless technology can double their voice capacity.

The white paper will be discussed and reviewed on a free webcast, Opening Channels: GSM Voice Capacity Demystified at 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Eastern time today, July 18th featuring presentations by the author, Peter Rysavy, and testimonials based on GSM voice capacity network experiences by Bill Clift, Chairman of the Board of 3G Americas and Chief Technical Officer of Cingular Wireless, and Bob Berner, Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer of Rogers AT&T Wireless.

Chris Pearson, Executive Vice President of 3G Americas and moderator of the interactive webcast stated, "The conclusions of the white paper, Voice Capacity Enhancements for GSM Evolution to UTMS, confirm yet another benefit of choosing the GSM evolutionary path to 3G, especially for TDMA operators." Pearson continued, "Though there is a great deal of focus on 2.5G and 3G wireless data services, voice will remain a key ingredient for success of carriers for years to come, and the efficient use of spectrum remains critical to the Americas region."

Rysavy Research utilized numerous internal and external sources including vendors and operators to compile a composite view of GSM voice capacity. "The conclusions in this white paper are well supported by the industry," stated the author, Peter Rysavy. "There are many enhancements available, both now and in the future, that will boost GSM capacity, such as frequency hopping, advanced radio planning, and new voice compression methods."

Conclusions of the paper indicate that with GSM innovations:

-- GSM maximizes capacity to sixteen times first generation analog wireless service (AMPS) using the new Adaptive Multi-rate Codec (AMR) -- GSM today has almost double the capacity of TDMA -- and with AMR the gains will quadruple -- GSM voice capacity is equal to, or better than, CDMA2000 -- Single Antenna Interference Cancellation (SAIC), still in development, will provide an additional increase of 60-100% in voice capacity, making GSM the most spectrally efficient technology for speech services -- Beyond GSM, UMTS provides additional capacity, quality-of-service mechanisms, and flexibility in managing resources between voice and data services

8. bdraco

bdraco New Member

Nextel has the best coverage in DE from what I can see. If you live in north wilmington verizon, cingular, and vs are spotty at best. I've had almost perfect service with nextel in DE. Second choice would be verizon. You can get service with them in most places, but expect your battery life to be short. Just be sure to stay away from sprint as you will drop somewhere in the range of 50% of your calls.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Verizon is ok from NJ Turnpike along Route 13 all the way to Maryland and even on the Chesapeak Bay Bridge to Virginia. Voicestream has no signal on the stateline border of Maryland and Virginia along Route 13.

10. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I don't know anyone in DE with Nextel, but I do know Verizon would be the best (or 2nd if Nextel is so great). The ONLY place where Verizon is spotty is Newark DE, but everyone is there due to damn U of D's buildings all over the place. They better let some company *hoping Verizon* put towers up on the damn campus. I have been almost everywhere in the state with my phone, only Newark is a problem. If I see that post about GSM one more time, I might freak out, Im tired of seeing it. Prolly Aiwapro pushing GSM or some other GSM is the best freak. Yes Verizon has great Maryland coverage, even in the middle of nowhere I had 4 bars digital, it was freakin wierd. Sprint for some reason is bad here with the dropped calls, they have decent coverage (better than ATT, VS) but I guess not enough capacity, or it's spread out too thin. You would think for such a flat state, 1900 carriers would do well here.