Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Best choice for Northeast Connecticut/UConn

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by afitch99, Jun 10, 2002.

1. afitch99

afitch99 New Member

I live in Willimantic Connecticut, looking for the best carrier for my area. Recently had Sprint, but they have been very lax about putting the socalled tower in which has been an issue for well over a year. I would go with Cingular who has pretty good coverage in this area, but I attend school in Arizona and Cingular does not offer service in Metro Phoenix. What would anyone suggest I get. I travel between Willimantic and the Hartford area along RT 6 daily, also along RT 66 to Middletown. Is AT&T my best bet?

I would go with Verizon, because I have heard mixed things, but Bestbuy does not have a sales rep there and I would like to buy my phone from Bestbuy inorder to get the great warrenty on the phone and for a good price.

2. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    One of the regular posters here Rich lives in Arizona and has a cell phone with (Nextel, Sprint PCS, and Verizon).

Cingular wireless offers some of the best national plans. When you are down in school you would roam off someone eleses towers probally at&t wireless.

Couple of questions that I have for you

Will you be using your phone mostly in Arizona?

How many minutes per month do you currently get with sprint pcs? and is that enough minutes?

Also I would consider verizon as they have the most coverage nationally of their own (digital and analog)

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

I am in Connecticut about 4 months out of the year, mostly during the entire summer, May to August and December to January with 4-5 trips back home during the school year. I use my cell phone a lot in Arizona. Could I get Cingular and be able to use it in Arizona evan if they don't offer it in AZ? I dont want to pay roaming charges, thats why I loved Sprint. The only thing I hate about Sprint is the horrible customer service, at least the computer lady, when you actually get a human to talk to it can be good customer service, and I also loved how I could use my Sprint phone anywhere in the USA and not pay romaing charges. However, like I stated, the coverage in the Willimantic/Storrs area is horrible, sprint actually let me cancel my contract early and get $200 back because they noticed I was in a bad area.

Right now, I have 250 day time minutes and something like 1750 night and weekends which I never come close to using. I would be comforatable around 400 day time minutes and a price around $40.00. Messenging and Internet is no big deal for me.

Eric

4. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Cingular nation 350 day 3500 night and weekends for $39.99. If you can get a cell phone signal then there is NO roaming and NO long distance.

Youi will just roam off of at&t in that area but you will not pay for it.

Verizon would be your other choice on their america choice plan

If school friends have at&t and are happy then sign up with cingular if they are not then go with verizon

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Since Rich said Nextel on the western board check them out at www.nextel.com and check coverage in both of those areas. They have a very good map on their website.

There national starter is $39.99 for 300 and over 3000 night and weekend minutes.

The i90 is their best phone

Jack

6. Guest

Guest Guest

afitch99,
    I think you've anwered your own question: VERIZON. It works at both ends of the string....

I am continually amazed at people who will deliberately buy a phone or use a carrier that doesn't work where they want it to or where they need it to just because it's 'cute' or because it's what their friends 3000 miles away recommended.

And for those here who are with Cingular:
    Don't they require that 50% of your usage be on THEIR network. Recommending that someone get Cingular and then spend 2/3 of their time 'roaming' on ATT (or whoever) seems counterproductive.....

7. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I am with Cingular and over 95% of the times I use AT&T towers because I don't live in a Cingular area. They have never charged me an extra penny for it in over 3 years.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

The 50% quota applies only to the new Nationwide Plans., not to local. I haven't chatted with anyone who has lost service as a result of breaking this limit, yet.

9. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    To the original poster, the best service at UConn is definitely Verizon or Sprint. I and several of my friends have used Verizon and always have had full signal strentgh and great call clarity while on and around campus. One of my friends has Sprint and it seems to work very well at UConn as well. I've been all around CT with my Verizon phone and have had no problems. One of my friends has Cingular and she is always complaining about poor signal, poor clarity, and dropped calls. If using your phone at UConn is priority, go with Verizon or Sprint.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I live in NE CT out in the sticks...and I have Verizon and Sprint, wife has Cingular. Verizon is by far the best. I work in New Britain and when I go to work on RTE 44 (past Uconn, etc) my Verizon phone works the best. The sprint phone does have coverage around UCONN but goes in and out down RTE 44.

As for AZ? I can not tell you about Verizon's service, but in CT it is GREAT and there CS has been VERY GOOD, Sprints sucks and they charge you $3 to talk to a live person now.

Cingular (my wife has) is getting better. They would probably be my second choice.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I live in NE CT out in the sticks...and I have Verizon and Sprint, wife has Cingular. Verizon is by far the best. I work in New Britain and when I go to work on RTE 44 (past Uconn, etc) my Verizon phone works the best. The sprint phone does have coverage around UCONN but goes in and out down RTE 44.

As for AZ? I can not tell you about Verizon's service, but in CT it is GREAT and there CS has been VERY GOOD, Sprints sucks and they charge you $3 to talk to a live person now.

Cingular (my wife has) is getting better. They would probably be my second choice.