Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Best cellphone provider in tri-city capital district, NY

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, May 24, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I just moved into Albany, NY. I'm currently looking for the best cellphone providers in the area, one which has reliable service, good plans and excellent coverage w/in the tri-city capital district (Albany-Schenectady-Troy) and in the wider areas of Albany, Rensselaer, and Saratoga counties.

I had looked around and the common ones were Sprint (the few people I have asked said these had the most frequent dropped calls in this area), Verizon (again, the few people I have asked said this had the best service around but also most expensive), Cingular, and Voicestream. Is there any way of finding out which of the 4 will give me the best service, minutes and coverage for the money?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Did you try a search for <u>NY</u> within this forum. Note the "Search" box in the heading of the forum.

3. wxram

wxram Junior Member

Voicestream would be good if you are just staying in the metro areas, but if you intend on going to the adirondacks then i would get verizon.

4. AzNxJZ

AzNxJZ New Member

My Brother lives in Albany and has had both Sprint and Voicstream. He says that they both worked fine in Albany, but when he came to the suburbs, he got NO service.....not bad service, absolutely no service. Now I don't live in a highly commuted town, but you can see the difference. If you plan to just stay in the city, it's up to which plan( and its minutes and offerings ) you like the most. If you plan to travel to places like my town, i suggest verizon. I get service most of the time, though it is a little weak when I'm inside and does not always have digital.

hope this helps

Jacob

5. RUMMY

RUMMY New Member

Voicestream would be good if you are just staying in the metro areas, but if you intend on going to the adirondacks then i would get verizon.
    ---------------

Do NOT use Voicestream in Northern New York or if you are not relatively near a major urban center.

6. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Go with Voicestream. When I go into the somewhat rural areas of different cities, I have good coverage.
    From what I have experienced, as long as you don't go too deep into the woods or whatever, then you will have fair coverage. I can have one bar of frequency on my 3390, and service works and sounds just like I had a full signal. Just consider that.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Voicestream/GSM is too premature for this guy to even consider using in the likes of Albany/New York STATE.

8. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

9. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

10. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG]

It depends on what your definition of 'solid coverage' would be, from a users perspective rather than from a KIOSK standpoint. From the looks of the map, Jersey, SE Pennsylvania (Voicestream's office is in Allentown), and Greater NY City looks SOLID. As for everything north of 84, forget it, he's better off with Verizon or Cingular. According to many NY colleagues/friends, Verizon seems to be more reliable signal wise while traversing through New York, not to mention the AMPS backup option in the event digital is unavailable.

11. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Correct the Amps backup for verizon is something that many people who travel can not live without

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. wxram

wxram Junior Member

Your better off with Verizon. Voicestreams coverage ends at about Lake George Village. I travel there almost every weekend. I stay in the northern part of the lake and the only signal you get is verizon. I travel around the Adirondacks alot and the only signals i receive are Verizon analog.

13. jarhead

jarhead New Member

Coverage maps??? MMMMMMMMMGGGHHHHHH..

14. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    what about coverage maps????

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. wxram

wxram Junior Member