Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Best cell phone provider in Upstate NY

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by mjcaccgrad, Feb 14, 2007.

1. mjcaccgrad

mjcaccgrad New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Razr V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Yes I know a lot of people have asked this question here, but this is the only site that I can seem to find any information about cell phone service for New York area(upstate area).

I've looked into getting a cell phone, but not sure who to go with. I looked at all the major carriers and their coverage maps and I'm just curious to know what other people's thoughts are on who is the better carrier in their opinion.

As of right now I think I'm deciding to go with either Cingular or Sprint/Nextel. T-Mobile is out and Verizon is fading fast.

The area that I'm curious to know about is Lake George/Glens Falls/Albany/Saratoga area as well as rural areas surrounding them. Now the major carriers all seem to have good coverage in these areas, but who's had the fewest dropped calls for the upstate NY area?

Anyone that can provide feedback on who they have had and if they were good or not I'd appreciate it. If you know of any websites that give better detail on cell phone service providers in upstate NY area I'd appreciate that as well. I just can't seem to find any good info except for NYC.

2. hf1khal

hf1khal Who am I to judge

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    From what I nknow from people who visit those areas who happen to be Cingular users the areas are good. But my advise to you is to ask your friends in thiose areas and see their own experience. Now another thing, you have a trial period with all providers. Cingualr has a 30 day period and if you are not happy you can return and cancell al within the first 30 days. If you are happy with their service then keep it and if you are not then move on to the next one for trial. The other providers have a shorter period (around 14 days) and with all you would have to pay for what you have used in case if you decide it is a no go. Another thing you have to be carefull of is the cell phone that you choose assome do eprform better than others and my recomendation go with the good name brands and don't fall for the free ones as many in here say, you get what you pay for.

3. mjcaccgrad

mjcaccgrad New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Razr V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    From what I was told one co-worker has Cingular and they think it is ok. While several other people have Sprint/Nextel and from at least what one person said it was good. Both said that Verizon sucked.

My dad has Cingular and he's not one to rush into buying something without doing research or at least so I assume. He does research with everything else before buying it so I assume he must have with going with a cell phone provider.

One benefit with Cingular is the Rollover minutes, but it seems most people I know have Sprint/Nextel. If anyone else can give any feedback, again I would appreciate it. I plan on using this for my main means of communication and getting the most basic service for my landline so any helpful information would be great

4. hf1khal

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    Well in this case you realy need to look at your needs and who you will be calling and how much calling you would be doing. If the majority of teh one that you are going to call are Sprint, then I would say go with sprint so you can use the M2M and not worry much about your minutes or even worry about teh roll over. Guage it right as no matter what any one tells you you are the one who has to pay for it. Go with the one that fits your needs and be the easiest on your pocket.

5. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I agree, you need to see if the M2M is going to be more important then the Rollover minutes, I am sure with the major cities your talking about both carriers should be good.
    As for the more rural area's that can be tricky, and as hf1khal mentioned it would be good to use the trial period & use it where you normally go.

With Sprint you can force roam their phones, so if you can't get a native Sprint signal, you may be able to force it onto the regional carrier up there.

6. mjcaccgrad

mjcaccgrad New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Razr V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    I appreciate everyone's advice. It seems that there are some more people that I know that have Cingular and one coworker who has his whole family on it and was even talking to another coworker about going with Cingular. I have a feeling that I'll end up going with Cingular, but I was just curious to know about it's service and other carriers' service.

Like I said they all seemed to be good in the city areas and even where I live which is a small town, but I do travel some rural areas on occasion and just wanted to have the best service possible. I know that not all are perfect in rural areas.

I want to cut back on landline costs and by doing that and getting a cell phone I could have two phones basically for the price of what I pay now for the landline.

While it seems that M2M is important, since I won't make that many calls or would call more landline phones than cell phones per month I kind of figured that having the rollover minutes would be good since some months I make no phone calls, while other months I make much more.

I considered a prepaid phone, but really could not find a plan I liked. Again I appreciate the advice I got and will continue to do a little more research before I decide on what carrier to go with.

7. hf1khal

My Phone:
    iphone 4, 3G S, BB 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, MTC Touch
    Great, please let us know of yor final choice and your ongoing experience with your choice.

8. fastbagger

fastbagger New Member

I live in Clifton Park go with Verizon it is far superior. My friends have other carriers and cannot make calls in a lot of areas.

9. billp

billp Junior Member

My Phone:
    lg vx8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon
    Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX8300/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

canajoharie here and verizon har been great even when i am in the north country

10. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Whatever Carrier you Choose
    Your TRIAL Period is Crucial,
    After which There's an ETF.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    For what it's worth, everyone I know from there swear by Verizon....make sure the person that said they sucked doesn't have other reasons for thinking that other then coverage.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. mjcaccgrad

mjcaccgrad New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Razr V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    It's interesting that everyone is saying go with Verizon, but so far the people I've talked to or know have either Cingular or Sprint and not one that I know has Verizon. I'm not sure what the two people's reasons were for not liking Verizon, but i think I've decided to give Cingular a try and now I just have to decide on a good phone. Either way i appreciate everyone's advice.

13. jones

You're the one who would be paying
    the bill so go with what you Like.
    You can try a $20 Cingular Prepay GoPhone.
    No activation, No contract.

#13 jones, Feb 21, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  14. jones

Do Need Coverage in Places
    You will Never Visit?

15. mjcaccgrad

mjcaccgrad New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Razr V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Yes I realize that I will be the one paying the bill and everything, but this phone at least for the moment would be for emergencies and when I make the occasional phone call to work, friends, family. It's not something I'll be using on a daily basis. That's what attracted to me to Cingular with the rollover minutes.

There might be some months were I don't use the phone at all and others were I might make several phone calls. At least the rollover minutes would build up and I would have those extra minutes for the next month in case things change in my life and I need to use the phone more often the minutes will be there. Granted they will expire at some point in time which is ok.

As far as the coverage where I'll never go, it seems that pretty much all the big carriers have almost the same coverage around my area. However T-mobile seems to have the worst, while Verizon seems to have the best it's hard to tell because their coverage map really does not do a good job at telling you how many bars you might have where Cingular and Sprint does.

I know not everyone is perfect and no matter who I go with there will always be a time where I don't get a signal or I get a dropped call. I did check several cities and towns for coverage of where I might be going and since Verizon really doesn't give you a good idea about the number of bars you might get I checked Cingular and Sprint.

Some places Cingular did better than Sprint, some places Sprint did better than Cingular and some places they were dead even In any event they both only did better by a bar.

I do appreciate everyone's advice and any other advice is welcomed.

16. jones

#16 jones, Feb 25, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  17. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    It sounds like you might just want a prepaid phone....

18. mjcaccgrad

mjcaccgrad New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Razr V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    I thought about the prepaid phones, but with Verizon for example they charge .99 cents per day whether you use the phone or not. Cingular charges a $1.00 per phone day when used. So that almost in a sense defeats the whole purpose of a prepaid phone. It seems as if you spend more money to keep the phone active then you do to talk on it. Cingular does offer a month to month contract with the prepaid, but I believe for 200 minutes it costs $29.99, so why not just get a basic plan with 450 minutes at $39.99.

I also looked at the long term and if I get a new job that requires me to travel now and then it probably would be good to not have a prepaid phone. Plus I know some people who have the prepaid phones that end up having to buy phone cards at least twice a month and these are people that don't use their phones often.

I think after careful thought and research I have decided to go with Cingular, but not I just need to decide on a good phone which I pretty much have made up my mind, but I want to do a little more research.

Again I appreciate everyone's feedback on this.

19. stoutman

stoutman New Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Curve
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT&Verizon
    I have Cingular and Verizon and travel a lot between Roch, Albany and NYC. They are about the same. Cingular is better up north country and Verizon does a lot better on I-86 corridor. Trial periods are crucial!

20. mjcaccgrad

mjcaccgrad New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Razr V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    As of now I am in the trial phase with Cingular. So far so good. Calls are crystal clear and I am average about three bars of service. Sometimes I have no bars of service where I am at and other times anywhere from 2 bars to 5 bars. I think this is because of it switching from Edge to other networks.

Seems better than expected. I have a few other places I want to try the phone out and will update of any good or bad experiences I have with Cingular. So far I'm very pleased with Cingular and have no complaints.