Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SOUTH U.S. -- Best cell phone for the mountains

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by Evangelist, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Evangelist

Evangelist New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5165
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Unicel
    Greetings: I live inthemountains of AL. The signal here sver spotty even though there is 2 verizon werswithin 5 miles of where I live. I have been using a LG 5400V which is tri mode and still have trouble. It seems that my phone wants to pick up a tower in GA I have consideredbuying a cellphone signal booster. Do they really work, or isit just a bunch of hypoe. What isthe best cell phone for the mountains in the middle of nowhere. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I'd look at a Motorola M800 or M900 bag phone. You won't find a more powerful current model.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Evangelist

Evangelist New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5165
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Unicel
    Thanks,do they still have those bag phones. I dd not think you coulod get them anymore. I believe you are right though.

4. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    You can get them. Motorola makes bag phones that work on the current networks. You can get them in GSM, CDMA, and iDEN versions. The old bag phones are analog and do not work anymore.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Maximum Signal

Maximum Signal Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon , Sprint , Millenicom
    The new bag phones do not have the power the old ones do . The old analog bag phones were 3 watts . The Motorola M900 which is made for GSM networks has a maximum output of 2 Watts while the Motorola M800 made for CDMA networks only has an output of .6 watts . Works great with a Cyfre amplifier though ( wink wink)

6. Underwriter

Underwriter Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T730
    Mountains of AL. NO WAY. You mean hills of North East AL. I grew up in Chattanooga. The biggest thing to a mountain in AL is the last, few foothills of the Appalachians.

7. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    LOL, yes an amplifier will help. The new bag phones may not have the power of the old analog ones, but they have more power than any other handset available today.

-Jay

8. Evangelist

Evangelist New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5165
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Unicel
    Compared to where you live Underwrite, the "mountains" of AL do look like hills compared to the great Smokie Mountains.

Thanks Jay for all of your help,

9. locust43

locust43 New Member

Have you looked at Southern Linc or Farmers now AT&T?

10. Evangelist

Evangelist New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5165
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Unicel
    Yes, I have looked at Southern Linc and am considering them greatly. I do not think AT&T is much better than verizion. I kinda hate to leave them since there is no roaming fees, however, what good is ANY cell phone service when yoiu can not make and recieve calls. Verizon Wireless now has a cell phone booster you can buy for $250, however, there is no guarantee that will work. Southern linc seems to work real well right here at the house. It is strange in that there are two verizon towers within 5 miles of my house and I can get service at my church which is only 1/2 a mile from my house. Thank you all for your imput.

11. gruss

gruss Member

My Phone:
    V3M
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Wirelessly posted (E2: BlackBerry8130/4.5.0.89 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/106)

Well If its just @ ur house and you have high speed internet there the network extender will work out great.

12. Watermouse

Watermouse New Member

internet network extender will not work with satelitte internet, If you are very rural, like I am, and do not have dsl, or cable the Int ext wont work., Radio shack sells a signal booster for approx $400 and it is supposed to go on the roof, and MAYBE then it will work.