Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Best call/Voice quality?

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Wireless525, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Honestly, nobody can give you a definite answer on that issue. There are too many things involved to make a statement, even if we know that the cellsites are all .5 miles away. You are in Southern California...Cingular is using half-rate codec on their network throughout Southern California. What this does is use less capacity on the cellsite so they can fix twice(I think) as many callers in, but quality will suffer. T-Mobile, on the other hand, uses full rate codec, unless the cellsite gets jammed, so if you are looking at getting a GSM carrier, I would probably say go with T-Mobile right now...also, they inherited the better network in CA.
    CDMA wise, it's hard. I think both Sprint and Verizon use the same codecs. Coverage wise, they should both be about even(both have their weak areas), so you just need to find out which one works best for you. Honestly, I cannot comment on NEXTEL, but I have friends and family that live in Santa Monica, Long Beach, Orange County, San Diego and other areas and they have various carriers like T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon and none of them really complain. It's all about finding what works best for you, and I would say that probably either of those carriers will work for you.

Good luck!

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Like others have said, this is a subjective question. There is no way to say which one sounds the best in general because it depends on so many things: location, time of day, network load, type of network, type of phone, etc. The same phone that sounds crappy here can sound great 5 miles from here. Instead of asking this question, what you should do is try to find out which carrier sounds the best for YOU and only YOU. This is because, as they always say, your mileage may vary. So this is something you'll have to research on your own by testing each carrier to see which one sounds better in your area.

But then again, even testing them may not give you the right answer because to test each carrier you'll have to use different phones. And as I said in my previous post, the phone you use makes more difference in sound quality than the carrier you choose.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Wireless525

Wireless525 New Member

I looked up "full rate codec" and it says:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

"Full Rate or FR or GSM-FR was the first digital speech coding standard used in GSM digital mobile phone system. The bit rate of the codec is 13 kbit/s. The quality of the coded speech is quite poor in modern standards, but at the time of development (early 1990s) it was a good compromise between computational complexity and quality. The codec is still widely used in networks around the world. Gradually FR will be replaced by Enhanced Full Rate (EFR) and Adaptive Multi-Rate (AMR) standards, which provide much higher speech quality with lower bit rate."

It says the quality of the coded speech is quite poor. So I'm a bit confused.

As for Cingular vs T-mobile. I just can't believe that a low budget company like T-mobile truly has better call quality than Cingular. That'd be like saying "fred's cola" is bigger than the coke company itself.... not possible

4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Yes...it is possible. T-Mobile has been investing billions into their urban networks and their network in urban areas across the country has improved dramatically over the last few years and in a lot of areas, T-Mobile is now among the best.

As for why T-Mobile's network in CA is good, well that is because when Cingular took over AT&T Wireless, Cingular sold their network to T-Mobile and settled with the AT&T Wireless network. Now, keep in mind that Cingular poured tons of money into their CA network before selling it off, adding sites like crazy. Well, that network now belongs to T-Mobile, and they are still adding sites to it like there is no tomorrow.
    Cingular got "stuck" with the former AT&T network, which, in a lot of areas, is not as good as the now T-Mobile network. Cingular is trying to get this fixed as quickly as possible but things take time and they are having problems. Customers have been moved over to the former AT&T Wireless network and in a lot of areas, coverage is not the only problem, but capacity is the bigger problem because the network can't handle the load.

5. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Your so called "low budget" company T-Mobile as VoiceStream was running a GSM network 7 years before AT&T Wireless and cingular even thought about running a GSM network. Why do you believe the older more experienced GSM company could not run a superior network? Sounds to me like you have a natural prejudice against T-Mobile and believe that just because they're a smaller network that they are inferior. cingular had the backing of an ILEC while VoiceStream didn't.

6. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

Telekom;

The old BellSouth Mobility DCS network was one of the first GSM networks in the US (it launched in 1995). So they (Voicestream) didn't run a GSM network before Cingular. Also in California T-Mo didn't have a network until they did the network sharing agreement with Cingular so I think they (Cingular) built the GSM network there first.;)

7. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Hey! Alltel has very good voice quality just so you know....

But besides that, for those carriers mentioned, it really depends on the area. Verizon does a very good job building their networks as long as they have been there for a year or more. Sprint corporate markets are typically good. T-Mobile is probably the best for voice quality when it comes to GSM, but Cingular isn't that far behind them. Some of it is personal opinion as well.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well regardless, T-Mobile is not as small as many think after all they have a large international company backing them just like VZW. I personally have found that overall their networks are better for voice quailty then Cingular. But Cingular beats them in overall coverage.

But the end all is that it depends on so many factors you cannot say which company is better as a whole at voice quality with any real certainty. Some say that GSM has better sound fidelity, and others say CDMA is more crisp and clear from background noise etc. If you like what you have stick with it. If I was gonna pick between Sprint and Nextel, for me it would be Nextel because they run on the cellular band here and calls would sound better at my house. However with signal strength being equal I would pick the CDMA Sprint instead.

9. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint normally sounds better than Verizon in most areas. But again, it depends on the phone and exactly where you are located.

Between T-Mobile and Cingular, in NYC/NJ Cingular has noticeably better sound quality than T-Mobile. Testing with several phones, Cingular sounded consistently brighter and louder when on the Half Rate AMR codec. However, on the Full Rate codec, there isn't any significant difference in clarity between them, except that again Cingular sounds noticeably louder.

The previous statements still stand. We can't say which carrier sounds better without saying where.

10. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    So, you're going to quibble about one year? cingular for the most part was all TDMA. cingular only had GSM on the west coast where they took over Pac Bell PCS and in the Carolinas with Bell South DCS. For the first years of cingular's existance the techs were in San Antonio where there wasn't any GSM at all!

11. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel does not run on cellular! Nextel is an SMR (Specialized MObile Radio) that uses 800 Mhz frequencies. They are however not a cellular provider. Don't automatically assume that just because they are running at 800 Mhz that they'll automatically do better at penetrating buildings

12. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The fact is the original GSM networks that Cingular bought are older than those that formed T-Mobile. Maybe not that much older, perhaps a year or two, but they were one of the first GSM networks formed in the US. In fact, Sprint was the one who built the first GSM network in the US which back then was installed in the Baltimore/D.C. market, and was named Omnipoint and later on acquired by Voicestream and now T-Mobile.

13. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Oh yeah sorry, smr. But it still applies, for my case Nextel and Alltel provide good coverage in my house. While all the others are average to bad. They will automatically do better if they are on the same tower and similarly setup. But no you can't just say that as a blanket statement because most of the time they are not on the same site.

14. Telekom

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    This is no new thing. Wireless coverage is always variable. It's the nature of wireless. Conditions can vary widely from one area of a block to another. It's been said at least two dozen times that people should get what works for them! Ask in the neighborhood what works for others. Take the 14 day trial and see how a service works for you. Blanket statements are almost never true.

15. Wireless525

Wireless525 New Member

Actually, if t-mobile truly has the best voice quality, I'll take them. My friend has t-mobile, so that'd be even better.

I live in southern california, and want whichever provider out here has the best voice quality. If it's t-mobile than that's great, cause my friend also has t-mobile.

I only said that because I always thought t-mobile was the lower budget company, and I never heard anyone before say t-mobile had the best voice quality. I know their coverage is far from the best, so I figured their voice quality wouldn't be toward the top either.

Why would their voice quality be the best? Is it because t-mobile full-rate codec vs Cingulars half-rate codec? Or?

bobolito said in his area, Cingular sounds better. But why would it matter on the area? Shouldn't each area have the same towers built?

I mean under optimal conditions, say if you where in NYC and 100 feet away from a tower vs being in California and 100 feet away from a tower, shouldn't it be the same?

16. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nope, interference, local network capacity and usage, the list goes on and on as to what can affect it.

There is no way to test the optimal conditions who is best, because that doesn't really matter. Because optimal conditions very rarely exist in the real world.