Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Bendable screen, touch input

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by KevinJames, Apr 16, 2016.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Makes me wonder that if such tech exists, why we haven't seen it yet in production

2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 26 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 12 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @M in LA: Yeah, I saw that in March. That is 3 hard surfaces (hinge included) joined together into a foldable device. Not the same. Now, the 2nd device Samsung showcased back in 2013 in this video, is the same. (I time-advanced the video to show only the 2nd concept phone I am referring to.)

4. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    According to this article, the only thing stopping flexible displays is that no one is making them.
    That makes me wonder if the reason that no one is making them is because they are waiting for the slate-type phones to finally lose all appeal.

5. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Imho, the reason why we don't see them, aside from their immaturity as a display, is its a hard sell. They are many features of today's slab smartphones that would be lost, and that are useful to people.

They may be unaware of their significance in the fog of a flexible screen.

For example: if you can roll The screen out, what keeps it flat to actual use? How do you remove it from your pocket to take a quick look at the display? Being plastic-like, not hardened glass, scratches become worrisome. All those points are steps backwards, and not all are technology issues, just typical usage.

Long gone are the days of keeping a page in a book flat while reading, or a photo. Foldable screen may be alright, like a wallet. But the entire phone would not be slim as well. Still need the battery, and other electronics.

Just saying, it's more than the screen, and that alone has large drawbacks over a rigid screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk