Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

BB World Edition SIM Card

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by rekdeb, Jul 2, 2008.

1. rekdeb

rekdeb New Member

I bought the Blackberry World Edition because it has GSM capabilities and has a SIM slot. I'm going to Europe at the end of this month. ALLTEL recommends the TravelComm SIM card, but I checked into it and it looks like a rip-off compared to other cards I've found. Do I have to use the TravelComm SIM card or can I use any SIM card in the phone?

2. cheddar

cheddar Senior Member

I could be wrong but I've always heard that it doesn't matter who you go with. No first-hand experience though.

3. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    With the advent of the Blackberry 8830 IR* you won't need a Travelcom SIM card anymore, you can get an Alltel SIM card to use that is cheaper than Travelcom's.

You can find more information about Alltel's international GSM roaming here.

This Alltel SIM only works with the 8830 IR, if you have the first version of the 8830 that doesn't have the IR designation on the label underneath the battery you'd need to trade yours in if the Alltel SIM is something you want to take advantage of. Contact Alltel directly for more information on that.

You would also need to have a $2.00/mo feature to roam internationally and SIM cards are $14.99.

With the old 8830 you could use any carrier's SIM card, with the 8830 IR, I believe it is locked to Alltel's SIM but I'm not 100% sure about that.

*International Roaming

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. rekdeb

rekdeb New Member

i dont have the new BB world edition from alltel where they have their own sim card, i have the other version, so i hope any sim card will work.

i think i might just wait until i get to europe and buy a cheap sim card and see if it works