Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Battery Drain Problem

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by Gabbyfire, Aug 28, 2006.

1. AG8000

AG8000 Junior Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile MDA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, Beyond Wireless GSM
    Set it to SID 182, home only and analog only.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Yeah using either 114 or 182 in analog and home only would be the only other option.

-Edit-

Actually since the phone showed no service when they put it 182 in before, the only other option is SID as 114 and Home Only in Analog Only.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. alltelwirelesstech

alltelwirelesstech Senior Member

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    you bouncing in between systems. one is for CHAR and one for COLMB. you are halfway between the cell sites and they are on 2 different systems. This is what is killing your battery. There is very little you can do to correct this other than move to another location to use your phone.

4. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    Given this information, have you tried setting the CDMA SID to 114 and the Analog SID to 0 (zero)? Keep it set on home only. Sometimes setting the analog SID to zero reduces the phone's inclination to pick up an analog signal enough to help the battery.

The best solution is a directional antenna (Yagi) pointing at the the tower broadcasting on SID 114 but that would be a bother in more ways than one.

5. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

Shrunk and AG8000, I have set my SID to 114, Home Only, and Analog Only. However, when I power off my Motorola v262 and turn it on again it resets "Analog Only" back to Off......and battery still drains.

Music4praise, thanks for weighing in on this one. I will try setting my Analog SID to 0 and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

Alltelwirelesstech, thanks for weighing in. Yes, I am sandwiched right smack dab in between Charlotte to the North and Columbia to the South. But as I stated in my original posting, there is an Alltel tower 3.5 miles from my home. I know this because Alltel tech support told me so. Also I have been advised on this forum that the SID Alltel assigned me (3226) is for the Chesterfield, Georgetown, Clarendon area. I don't even know where that is. Currently I have my SID set to 114 (I don't really know where that is either but it stopped the roaming icon displaying). I have asked Alltel tech support on several occasions why I am not assigned to the tower close to me with no good answer. Could that solve my problem? Do you know the idenity (SID) of that tower so I could try it. I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have on this "tower" near my home. Finally, when I am in town in Camden I have a very strong digital signal and no problem with my phone (see prior posts) Camden also is between Charlotte and Columbia. Why does my battery drain at home but not there?? My phone prefix is 803-427 thanks.

6. AG8000

AG8000 Junior Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile MDA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, Beyond Wireless GSM
    You live near Chesterfield? I used to live close by there too.

7. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

Wow it really makes a difference which tech answers when you call in to tech support! As I indicated in previous posts I thought I would give Alltel tech support one more shot before I gave up. The tech today did not solve my problem (although she was really knowledgeable)....but she did put in a trouble ticket to have a local tech/service person come out to check the area near my home and the tower that's three miles from my house! (I had a trouble ticket before but they just tried to trouble shoot remotely without success.)She did not make any promises but she did say I would have a definite answer as to why I can't get service if that's the case, in about a week or so. I will post what I find out for all those who have tried to help me. It will be good to have an answer either way. I love this forum, Thanks.

8. AndThenScottSays...

AndThenScottSays... Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile (prepaid)
    Maybe I skipped over it reading the thread, but I didn't see this answered clearly:

When the SID you program into the NAM makes your phone stop blinking roam, you have found the SID you are currently on. 114 is Charlotte (with a whole bunch of other counties), 182 is Columbia/Richland/Lexington, and 3226 serves all the way from Kershaw County to Myrtle Beach.

Visual:
    [​IMG]

I'm assuming you live somewhere in the yellow circle... which would explain why you are bouncing back and forth. Until Alltel loses this stubborness to have SID's aligned the way they do, it's going to continue being a problem for many people. The towers are literally battling it out with each other for your phone. Are there thick forests, or other objects you know of between you and the tower 3 1/2 miles away? That can make a huge difference -- I've had a clear signal 20 miles from a tower just because I was sitting in an open field very large in size. Then again, I've had a tower 3-4 miles away give me no service because I was in a thick forested area. I have an analog car phone, and a tower about 3 miles from the house that likes to drop to no service whenever it rains. There's another analog tower about 5 miles away, and one in another SID about 15 miles away. If the closest one has failed, when I crank the car the phone will default to the one 15 miles away because the closer remaining one is blocked by houses and trees.

Hopefully the problem is with the tower and one they can easily fix, and not one that will continue to plague you... but at least now you can visually see what's happening. Good luck!

9. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

Hay Scott, Thanks for the map and yes, I am in that area. I am on the edge of the circle at about 7 o'clock and a bit to the west(on the lake) I am right on the water and there are many pine trees between me and the tower 3.5 miles North. Following are the settings I have tried and the results. Note: None of these settings have stopped the switching back and forth between digital and analog and my battery draining on standby.

AMPS Sys ID: 3226
    CDMA Sys ID: 3226
    blinking roaming icon Note: This is the one Alltel set me up on.

AMPS Sys ID: 182
    CDMA Sys ID: 182
    blinking roaming icon

AMPS Sys ID: 114
    CDMA Sys ID: 114
    No blinking roaming icon (no icon at all) but I cannot receive calls. All calls go directly to my voice mail.

AMPS Sys ID: 3226
    CDMA Sys ID: 114
    No blinking roaming icon and I can send and receive
    calls but battery still drains after 3 hrs.

Being on a body of water surrounded by trees, it could be a terrain problem but I have no problem with radio reception and aren't these suppose to be radio waves??

10. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Not to throw his off topic but hey And Then Scott Says... where'd you get the cool map?

11. AndThenScottSays...

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Yes, but you're talking about an FM station that could be 100,000 watts, and a cellular signal that is not designed in most instances to cover more than a county.

Being you are in Kershaw County, you should get a clear signal from 3226 - that's why Alltel set you up on that SID, but it won't always work that way. Once they check the tower, they may find something awry that helps you out, but on SID borders like this, this is common. Alltel filled a gap here about a year ago that existed on an SID border by putting a tower for each SID about 1 mile from the border, on either side. On the border itself the phone still flips SID's.

Try setting your analog SID to 0, setting your CDMA SID to 114, and setting it on home only. This should disable analog, and because your phone will want to connect to 114 and only 114 it should help you with the battery drain problem. That may help you at home, but as soon as you leave and go further into Kershaw County you should set it back on Standard Scan (and know that you will get a blinking roaming icon).

Give that a shot and let us know if it works.

12. AndThenScottSays...

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I made it myself in Microsoft MapPoint using info from the FCC and XFF's PRL interpretations. PM me if you want a GIF of the whole thing. It covers NC and SC.

13. AndThenScottSays...

My Phone:
    V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Actually, I'll share with everyone :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Oh huh, well done, thanks for sharing!

15. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    the site 3.5 miles from you house makes no difference. the phone is going on its PRL info in the phone. at one instance, one site is stronger, when the phone scans again, the other appears stronger. if you want to stop the scanning, get a cheap nokia 3587i. I can the walk you through the manual process of "blacklisting" sids. you can program the phone to never use the other SID. you just can't travel to the area that has only that sid available since your phone will never lock onto it.

16. jhamps10

jhamps10 New Member

My Phone:
    LG Ax4270
    Wireless Provider(s):
    alltel
    can we get something like that for the new alltel service area out here in southern illinois, from buying out first cellular?

17. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

Thanks for your post. I am waiting for a response from the latest trouble ticket. It should be completed by Monday. I will share with everyone what the Alltel tech folks answer to this problem is (if they have one). If they cannot resolve it I certainly would like to try your suggestion about the nokia 3587i so may be asking you to help me program it next week. Thanks much.

18. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

Hey Alltelwirelesstech, the Alltel tech folks said they need more time to actually come out to my area to check the service here. So I am still waiting for their answer to my trouble ticket. However, I am in the process of trying to purchase a "cheap" but reliable nokia3587i from e-bay. (I only purchase from 98-100 positive feedback sellers). Can you please send me detailed instructions on how I would program the nokia phone. The forum is moving to other discussions and I want to be sure I have that information. Appreciate all your help. Thanks

19. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You should look at other sellers besides 98-100. If you want to be safe the best thing to do is make sure they are American. Then check for about 25 or more positive feedback. And a percentage of about 95 or better, many will have 100%. Briefly scan the feedback. That should be enough.

20. alltelwirelesstech

My Phone:
    RAZR
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    *# 6391#
    Mdn
    Min
    Sin
    Save

21. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

Hello again to everyone. I purchased my phone in late July and I placed my first post to this forum on 8/28/06 after working with Alltel for over a month with no answer to my problem. So many of you have posted possible solutions and I thank you all. I promised in my post of 9/1/06 that I would let you know when I got a final response to my trouble ticket from Alltel technical support. After contacting them continually for 3 months this was their final answer to why my battery drains after 3 hours on standby at home: "YOU ARE IN A KNOWN POOR SERVICE AREA." I am not kidding! It took them 3 months to figure this out...come on!! And to add insult to injury because I am a prepaid customer (and more than 15 days have passed) there are no exchanges or refunds period. I reminded them that I contacted Alltel.com that I was having problems the very day I received my phone and it took them this long to give me an answer. The result is I paid for a phone and purchased a bunch of minutes for a phone that dies after a couple hours on standby.:( So I caution everyone considering prepaid service from Alltel of two things, my experience is (1) they treat prepaid customers differently than contract customers, so be prepared to be treated with less enthusiasm, (2)and if you have a problem with your phone or service and try to work with them to resolve the problem they are still going to hold you to their 15 day return policy even if they don't get the problem resolved in that time. Again thanks to all who tried to help.

22. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Very sorry to hear of the way this ended for you. It's definetly not standard of Alltel to treat their customers with as much disdain as I've seen here, at least in regards to their response.

As you're basically stuck as far as the CDMA systems you may wish to check Cingular's or Tmobiles street level coverage for your area, see if it's acceptable and after you use up your Alltel time switch to a GSM carrier. Best of luck.

23. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile roams off I believe Suncom there. Cingular's looks bleak and typically their coverage locator is generous to itself, unlike T-Mobile, some coverage around Waterlee lake. But If it works at your house it might be worth it....

Sorry about your troubles. I know that U Prepaid and the contract CS are two different things. At least that is the impression I got while being transferred inbetween the two to delete the ESN on one of our u prepaid phones account and putting it on my contract account.