Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Battery Drain Problem

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by Gabbyfire, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

Hello to all, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. This is my problem: When I am at home my battery dies after only 3 hours on standby. I have made many inquiries to alltel tech but no one can help me except to state that my phone standby time can and should be up to 300 hours. Here is background and what I 've tried thus far. I am a "pay as you go" prepaid customer. I purchased my phone and service from alltel.com. about one month ago. The phone is a Motorola v262.
    (1) I have returned the phone for a new one and tried new batteries. (2) I have charged and recharged the batteries by letting battery completely die and recharging all night. I have tried this at least 10 times - with the phones and the batteries--- is not the problem. (3)I live in central South Carolina in a ruarl area near water on a lake and am told by alltel tech support there is an alltel tower 3.5 miles from my home. However, I am told by them that service from my home is being directed to a tower in "North" Carolina - not to the tower close to my home. (4)After being in the hospital for a week in a nearby town (approx 17 miles from my home) I discovered my battery did not die after 3 hours and worked normally without a single charge. (5)One last big clue to this problem: When at home, the roaming icon blinks continuously and the signal switches from digital to analog about every two seconds continuously. When I was in the hospital (where the battery worked properly) there was no roaming icon and the phone showed a constant digital signal. I just spoke with alltel tech support again today about my "hospital" experience they still have no explanation or solution. (6) Over the past 30 days Alltel tech support has had me "reprogram/reactivate" my phone a dozen times with no success. They have also had me take my phone to the local alltel store who also had no suggestion. Finally alltel suggested if I "upgraded" my service to something above "pay as you go" more towers would be available to me and maybe my phone would work. If that is true, it means that "pay as you go" customers are receiving substandard service or limited service - Could that really be the case?? Can someone please help me. Thanks.

2. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    I'd venture to say that because of the reception at your house your phone is bouncing back and forth between towers and no signal thus causing it to transmit much more than true standby. All the extra transmitting is using up the battery just like you were talking on it. If you have a full charge and make a call until the battery dies how many minutes of talk time do you get?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

Thanks, RobertF for your reply. Unfortunately, I this is my first cell phone and have not made more than some 1 - 2 minute test calls at home. And of course in the hospital I was to sick to use the phone. Your suggestion about the signal "bouncing" between towers sounds like you could be on to something, but I still would not know how to correct it. Hope someone might help us. Thanks.

4. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Try setting your phone to "Home Only" in the network settings, this should work if the other tower is on a different SID. Just keep in mind if you have no service while traveling you have to put it back into "Standard Scan".

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

Strunke, thanks for your suggestion but it didn't work. I changed my settings to "home only" . As a result the roaming icon no longer displays, I have a constant Analog signal with approx 2 bars ....but I cannot receive calls. My phone will not physically ring so I can't answer. Instead the caller hears about five rings then is sent to my voice mail.... Any other ideas. Thanks.

6. pepster2

pepster2 New Member

My Phone:
    razr v3c
    Wireless Provider(s):
    alltel
    will your phone allow you to set it to digital only? I know some will. That has helped me at work where mine would want to jump into analog and then out and then back in. I had same problem. Battery died quick.

7. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

Thanks Pepster2, the tec support folks walked me though setting phone to digital only. Although I don't remember the exact steps, it would not keep that setting. It automatically reverted back to digital/analog. However, if you have steps to set it to digital only and share them with me I will love to try again. Actually, at this point I'll try anything....Thanks much..

8. AG8000

AG8000 Junior Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile MDA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility, Beyond Wireless GSM
    Gabbyfire, what SIDs are you on?

9. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

AG8000, I'm not sure what my SID is but I do know alltel had me program my phone for the following: NAM: 3226 and CURRENT: 114. Is one of these my SID? Thanks.

10. AG8000

AG8000 Junior Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile MDA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I'll try to find out how to find it. We might be able to tweak your phone into a free roam with a stronger signal. Does Sprint or Verizon have good signal where you are?

11. AG8000

AG8000 Junior Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile MDA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    OK, I see you live in Camden, SC. 114 is your SID.

00114 D/A FR Alltel Communications
    CMA061B Charlotte, NC
    CMA568B North Carolina 4 - Henderson
    CMA627B South Carolina 3 - Cherokee
    CMA633B South Carolina 9 - Lancaster

12. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

AG8000, Again not sure, like I said in my original message there is an alltel tower 3.5 miles north of my house but my phone number with an (803) 427 prefix is not directed to that tower for some reason. We are in a rual area, (near water) on a lake. I do know that 17 miles away (in town) there is good alltel coverage and also Cingular too...I think. Thanks.

13. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

AG8000, thats right. Acutally I am about 17 miles north of the city limits of Camden. Also I am about 30 miles south of Lancaster and about 80 miles south of Charlotte. Thanks. I think the tower I keep talking about is near Liberty Hill on Rt 97 North about 20 - 25 miles north of Camde.

14. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I hope your battery problem gets totaly resolved

15. AG8000

AG8000 Junior Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile MDA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    If you remember how to get into the programming menu, change the home SID to 139. That is a Verizon SID. Alltel U Prepaid roams for free on Verizon and Sprint. Then set the phone to Home Only. You will need to switch to standard scan when you travel. If you don't know how to access the programming menu, post here and I'll find out how and tell you.

16. AG8000

AG8000 Junior Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile MDA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    To get in to programming:

QUICKLY press:

74663#[menu][menu]

(74663 spells "phone". The [menu] button is the top center button on your keyboard.)

If you pressed the buttons correctly and quickly enough, you will be in the user activation screen.

Select NAM1.

If it asks for a security code enter 000000.

17. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

AG8000, The only thing I can get to is "User Activation." Under Nam1 the current setting is:
    AMPS Sys ID: is 3226 and
    CDMA Sys ID: is 3226
    but I do not see a setting for just "SID"
    Am I in the right place? If not, yes please advise me the steps to get where I can change my SID. Thanks.

18. AG8000

AG8000 Junior Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile MDA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You're in the right place. Change both to the Verizon SID I stated earlier.

19. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

AG8000, The Verison SID of 139 did not work. I have checked it twice to be sure I did all the steps right. (and I did set it to "home only"). However, I get "No Service." message on main menu. When I power my phone off and on again it says "searching for network" then I get the "No Service" message. Is there any other SID I can try?? Thanks.

20. AG8000

AG8000 Junior Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile MDA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Give me one minute and I'll look.

21. AG8000

AG8000 Junior Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile MDA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint 4376
    Verizon 127
    Verizon 189
    Verizion 377
    Verizon 139
    Verizon 2115

Try these.

22. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

Thanks AG8000, I'll work on these and let you know. Again Thanks so much.

23. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Wirelessly posted (MOT-8700_/00.62 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2.f.1.103 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

We should be trying to get the local alltel tower first. That one and the one further away may have different sids. I'll look in the prl tonight when i'm back near a computer. However, if they are not different sids and you can't pick up vzw or sprint then you may be out of luck.

24. AG8000

AG8000 Junior Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile MDA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Didn't think about them having diffrent SIDs. I'm not sure if that's the problem though. It's worth a shot.

25. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

AG8000, I tried all the SID codes you gave me with the same result - no service. I appreciate all the time and effort you have taken. It is just so hard for me to accept that no one else has had this same problem. Maybe someone will read this thread and help us. Something is draining my battery, and my phone is acting like it is in constant use when it is set to standby....you would think the alltel tech folks would have the answer but they don't. Thanks again. I'll keep checking this thread.

26. AG8000

AG8000 Junior Member

My Phone:
    T-Mobile MDA
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Oh well, that sucks. There may still be one more thing that the person who posted about maybe the Alltel towers having diffrent SIDs can try. He (or she, not sure lol) can help you with that.

27. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I'm male thank you very much lol :)

So you are on Wateree Lake?
    Ok Gabbyfire, try putting 114 as your Home SID for both CDMA and AMPS instead 3226.
    I'm not sure which SID your are picking up that is analog or digital. In the post above when you said it had a current SID or 114, was it in digital or analog? If it was Digital then keep your home sid as 114, and if it continues to hop back and forth, set the phone in Home Only....

The only other SID you could try putting in if 114 doesn't work that is Alltel would be 182.....

The reason home only didn't work originally was because you home SID is for the Chesterfield, Georgetown, Clarendon area. Which is too far away to be effective and you were likely picking up only a "ghost" analog signal that managed to carry all the way to you but not strong enough for a call.

28. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

Strunke thanks for your suggestions. I changed both my AMPS Sys ID and my CDMA Sys ID to 114 and also 182. Neither worked. The problem has to be in the tower assignment. I noticed today when I was in Camden I had a strong all digital signal with no roaming until I was about 2 miles from my house and approx 5 miles from the alltel tower near me. My digital signal went down to almost nothing and as I approached my house the signal started switching back and forth from digital to analog with a blinking roaming icon. This phone is absolutely not good to me with only 3 hours of standby at home. I am really disappointed but want to thank you, AG8000, Pepster, RobertF, and everyone who has tried to help me solve this problem. I'll post if I ever resolve this issue. Thanks again.

29. strunke

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well good luck with it. And you are sure you tried the new SIDs in home only also?

30. Gabbyfire

Gabbyfire New Member

Strunke, yes I have phone set to "home only." With SID 182 I get "no service" - so that one didn't work. With SID 114 I no longer display a blinking roaming icon but I still have the alternating Digital then Analog about every five seconds. I have tested my phone on this setting (thinking it might be the solution since the roaming icon no longer displays) but the battery still dies on standby after about 3 hours. Tomorrow I think I'll give alltel tech support one more shot at this. Will let you know outcome. Thanks.