Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Basic Phone Quest

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by NoBite, Jan 29, 2010.

1. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Was AT&T - now Cingular - oops, now AT&T again.
    I have a family plan which includes a phone for my elderly mother. We are eligible for phone upgrades and her phone is in need of that! Currently, she has a Nokia 6126. I have lost touch with the AT&T phone selections.

Can someone suggest a basic phone? Here are my requirements:

- Ability to display large numbers
    - Simple, intuitive menu
    - Excellent quality speaker phone

That's it! I have disabled the texting ability for this account. Absolutely no web surfing either. Camera is of no interest.

If I did not have my mother on my family plan, I would give consideration to the Jitterbug. But, the current arrangement is more economical for me.

What phone(s) come to mind?

2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Since your mother is familiar with Nokia and their interface, you might want to stick with them.

AT&T carries several Nokia flip phones like the 2660, 2720, 6350, and the 6650. There's also the 2330, but this is a bar phone. The 6750 Mural is $50 and probably too high end (more than she needs) for her.

There are also several basic Samsung phones, a few from Motorola, and one from Pantech. I can't tell you the quality of the phones from these three.

A majority of the phones I mentioned are "free" at the moment.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NoBite

NoBite Junior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Was AT&T - now Cingular - oops, now AT&T again.
    Thanks, Mike. I agree, sticking with Nokia might be the simplest answer. Guess it is just a matter of going to a local store and actually fondling the different phones. From the information online, the Nokia 6350 looks like a decent choice. Again, on my mother's phone I have disabled texting and surfing. I set up her address book and she simply scrolls down through it. Even basic steps like retrieving messages, identifying missed calls or switching to a second incoming call if she is on the phone baffle my Mom. So, I need something VERY simple for her.

If anyone has experience with any of the models that Mike listed, please feel free to chime in!

4. rjniles

rjniles Member

My Phone:
    MOTO E4 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    If your mother is like me she (I am 66) may be getting a little hard of hearing especially at the higher frequencies. I find that the phones I can hear ringing the best are Motorola. I see that AT&T has the Moto EM330 free with 2 year contact. Basic flip phones and the menus are very intuitive (at least I find them so).