Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Bad signal in West Henrietta, NY (Verizon service)

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by JE78, Oct 8, 2005.

1. JE78

JE78 New Member

I used to live in Scottsville, NY a suburb of Rochester. I had great service for the year I lived there. After a year I decided to move to West Hnerietta, NY (to Riverton Knolls apartments for the people that know the area) another suburb of Rochester and a 3 min car ride from my old place but the cell service is like night and day. I get a bad reception, dropped calls and fluquating single all the time. When I first moved into this place I checked my cell and I had 1 bar I just thought it was a one time thing, boy was I wrong.

I called verizon and they told me it could be the electroncs in my apartment. Well I don't have anything that I didn't have in my old place and I seem to have this problem outside my apartment in the parking lot so thats not it. I've tried a software update on my old phone, didn't work, I got a new phone LG 8100 but stilll have problems.

Well can anyone let me know what I need to do to go about fixing this? Thanks.

2. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Wirelessly posted (MOT-8720_/00.62 UP.Browser/6.2.3.4.c.1.104 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

What was your old phone? Have you tried a Nokia or a Motorola?

3. saturnsl01

saturnsl01 Junior Member

My Phone:
    V710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Why when you were moving did you think low signal was a one time thing? When I moved, cell service was something I checked, you should have done the same. Sorry your phone doesn't work so hot, but that is life, spend the big bucks and get a repeater. Or go to radio shack and try a passive antenna.

4. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Cingular Wireless Continues to Expand Upstate New York Network
    Plans to Invest More Than $100 Million in 2005

BUFFALO, N.Y., Aug. 29 /PRNewswire/ -- The nation's largest wireless voice and data network is getting larger in upstate New York. Cingular Wireless plans to invest more than $100 million this year in its upstate New York network integrating the Cingular and AT&T Wireless networks; increasing coverage; building new sites; and offering enhanced new features. This local network investment is part of Cingular's estimated $6.2 billion national capital expenditure program this year.

"Better coverage is what wireless customers want, and better coverage is exactly what Cingular is delivering," said Robert P. Holliday, vice president and general manager of Cingular Wireless, New York State. "In 2005, we are continuing to make a huge investment in technology specifically targeted for the upstate New York region. We're delivering a network that is growing bigger and more powerful every day."

Cingular has already added more than 40 new cell sites in upstate New York in 2005.

In greater Buffalo, for example, new cell sites improve service in the North Collins, Lancaster, and West Seneca parts of Erie County. To the north, new sites enhance coverage in Pendleton, South Lockport, and in Tonawanda.

In the Rochester region, new cell sites improve regional coverage in Pittsford, Geneseo, Webster, Nunda, Naples, western Wayne county, and Mendon.

In central New York, new sites enhance service in Syracuse, Utica, Rome, Watertown, Ithaca, Deruyter, Harrisville, Volney, Tully, Brasher Falls, and Saint Lawrence City. Additional new sites improve coverage in Sennett, Ava, King Ferry, Venice, Oswegatchie, Rodman, Salisbury, Norfolk, Croghan, Moravia, Alexandria and Burdett.

In greater Albany, including the Hudson Valley region, new cell sites improve the customer experience in Glenmont, Johnstown, Amsterdam, Fonda, Niskayuna, Warrensberg and Kingsbury.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. JE78

JE78 New Member

Some intresting replies here.

jones: I don't have Cingular. If your trying to imply I should switch to Cingular, no thanks.

saturnsl01: I have a cell singnal, sure its not the greatest but i'm not going to determine where I live because of a cell signal. And the reason I thought it was a one time thing is because this is a suburb, less than 5 mins from a metro area. There is no reason that I shouldn't have 5 bars. My parents live in a rual area and I have a better signal out there than I do 5 mins from a major city.

NYCDru: My old phone was a LG VX6000.

6. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    Rural area's can have better signal that suburbs because sometimes, rich suburbans don't want Cell towers near them for some strange reason.

If you can, return the LG and get a Motorola e815. I got mine yesterday and so far I am getting USABLE service in places my Vox 9900, my friends vx6100, and my friends vx6000 Can't.

7. jones

It's up to you.
    It's just that Cingular is showing the area as Fully Covered.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. JE78

JE78 New Member

So is Verizon. I called today and express my displeasment and they are going to send a tech out the area next week sometime. I did the firmware upgrade on the phone and that seemed to help some.

NYCDru: This really isn't a rich suburb, its in the middle of farm land but as I said its only 5 mins from the city area. Its right along I-90 as well so I figured it would have a good signal because of that. Check out my area

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Countess+Dr+West+Henrietta,+NY&ll=43.037811,-77.707622&spn=0.017134,0.033023&hl=en

9. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
  10. jones

In a case to case basis
    you may be Closer to one Carriers Cell Site than the one you have
    giving you a stronger signal.

11. jones

In a case to case basis
    you may be Closer to one Carriers Cell Site than the one you have
    now, giving you a stronger signal.

12. JE78

JE78 New Member

Thanks for the map. But as you can see where the cell tower is in Scottsville, my apartment is less than 3 miles from that tower. Now if you scroll south a little bit to to a town called Nunda, you will see there is 1 tower there. My parents live inbetween Nunda and Mt. Morris and I have great reception at there place and its in a rual area.

According to that map I have 3 cell phone towers within a 5 mile radius of my apartment. I'm on the top floor its not like i'm confined in basement or something. I don't understand why I would get such a bad signal here with tower so close.

Jones: I was talking to my neighbors today and a few of them have Cingular and they have the same problems as me.

13. jones

This Map is a good source but it's
    really Not Complete.
    I know for a fact where all cell sites are in my area
    but it's not on that map.
    Like the cable TV Tower is there
    but they're not telling you that NEXTEL
    is on it.
    Also the Town Municipal Tower
    is there but it Does Not Tell You
    that T-Mobile is On It.
    The Rooftop sites, some are there
    and some are Not on that map.

#13 jones, Oct 9, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2005
  14. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The map will still give you a general idea, if anything as time goes on their will be added spectrum so it should get better. But I also learned that you cannot determine what your cell signal will be from the distance of a tower. I have a Cingular tower within 5 miles of me but lately my phone is often times struggling to find a signal in my house, it could be a mix of integration or something in my home is causing these issues which I yet to find.But I had choices so I ended up getting a prepaid phone for back up when service suffers (I refuse to go back to a landline) so that could be option for you as well. Or you either have to ride out the contract or pay the ETF and move on.
    And I agree with SaturnsL01 I would never move where my phone does not work, when you sign up with a wireless carrier that phone should work where you are the most, home,work,and where you hang out,what good is it going to do you if you cannot use your phone when you are home it seems like a waste of money.Good luck I hope things work out for you:)
    Joe

15. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Jones, your pro-Cingular posts with those network upgrade stories are starting to bug me. How can you say that Cingular shows the area as fully covered just because they say they added a few sites in a broad georgraphic area? Sad that all you can add to this forum is pro-Cingular network upgrade posts that I can find from any carrier. :rolleyes:

16. jones

Andy we know you sell VZW
    so you're pro VZW.
    You don't like these Post
    since you're their Sales Rep
    but we have to talk Facts.

17. ushutup

ushutup Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I too am really getting sick of seeing his same Cingular cut and paste posts.:rolleyes:

18. jones

There's nothing wrong with being a Sales Rep.

19. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Actually I'm not going to start arguing with you, but I'm not in the wireless business whatsoever. If you want to talk facts I'll bring up facts too with cut and paste jobs.

20. jones

Glad i can Help and Make you guys Happy.

21. panasonicdect

panasonicdect New Member

To boost signal use repeater system,apply outdoor ant;&indoor ant;.
    there will be ok.......

22. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It could be they are 1900 Mhz towers vs 850 which if that's the case the signal won't travel as far on 1900 vs 850 and add in any tress, buildings and such and the reception will be even less.

A rule of thumb is 850 travels 5 miles depending on terrain etc... and 1900 travels 1 mile, again these are just rough estimates and alot of factors can play into it, as well as network problems, hopefully Verizon will find a problem with the tower & you will have the coverage you need soon, but if not then they could be using the higher band on the towers & until they add more towers it won't improve alot.

23. whosurbud

whosurbud Junior Member

Simply amazing, an area I actually am familiar with. Used to live near there, albeit before cellphones. Never used a cdma phone so can't speak for what is or what should be, etc. But, how close to R.I.T. campus are ya? If your served by a Verizon site that also serves R.I.T., I bet the coverage is shrinking due to the increased demand from the college? (nature of the beast with CDMA).

Just a thought.

24. JE78

JE78 New Member

I'm about 5 minutes from RIT, but I was about 5 mins at my old place as well. I'm still waiting to hear from Verizon, they said they were going to send a guy out this week but i'm not sure if they'll contact me once they do or not. I've never had a problem with Verizon service in the 5+ years i've had them except for at my parents house before they got a cell tower near by, now that they got a cell tower 10 miles from there house I get 4,5 bars and never a droped call. Weird.:confused:

25. jjdu42

jjdu42 Junior Member

sorry but :metoo:

26. whosurbud

whosurbud Junior Member

Because your parents live south down by nunda or whatever as you said above. There would be no capacity issues down there. your issue could be that you moved closer to where all the other users are, e.g . closer to west henrietta rd, jefferson, RIT, etc. don't take much to be served by a busy site in one neighborhood to a not so busy site in the next neighborhood over. Just a hypothesis, let the Verizon people tell you what they find. If they give ya the run around, then that's probably your issue, whether they'll admit it or not. As college traffic issues would be no "quick fix'. That's probably not high up on their list of Top 10 things to tell a subscriber.

Having lived in Ra-Cha-Cha myself for 10 years or so, I know it doesn't take much, driving distance wise to get from busy areas to cows & pasture in just about any direction. So it would seem to me a common scenario around there.

p.s. - Just curious, did your problem start around mid to end of august, when school kids tend to arrive from out of town? That would be another 'hint' if so.

27. JE78

JE78 New Member

Actually when I moved into this apartment which was about the end of July i noticed it. Haven't heard back from Verizon, and I had a droped call today so not sure what to do. I'll give them a call later on in the week.