Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Bad signal in basement apartment..?

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by Gaf318, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Gaf318

Gaf318 New Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I has a question? Having a basement apartment my signal is bad, but why will my phone notify me of a missed call or a new message without a problem in the basement. I would think that the call would come through if the miss call alert or message alert doesn't have a problem making it to the phone. Thanks for any comments..........Greg

2. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    if your voicemail has paging notification set on and the tower doesn't think that there is enough signal to establish a call then it sends it to voicemail and the voice mailbox records the number and the voicemail calls your phone using that number as the caller ID.....it just acts as a pager so that voicemail calls until your phone starts ringing then hangs up

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Most likely you don't have enough signal for the call to go through, but you are still connected to the T-Mobile network. Voicemail notifications aren't dependent on signal level.

As long as you see the "T-Mobile" alpha tag on the display you can still receive notifications, even with no signal bars.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    What???:confused:

5. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    your voicemail can be set so that on top of taking the message it can also page you and use the persons number as its caller id.

example

1. A person calls you when you are outside of coverage
    2. It goes to voicemail and they leave a message
    3. when you come back into service your voicemail will literally call you......instead of using your own number which is the mailbox access number it will change its own caller id to that of the people that called you......so when you come into service you know who called you when you had no service

your voicemail calls you with the missed callerd Caller ID and hangs up so that you see a missed call

6. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    In simple language, low bandwidth signals like text messages or voice mail notifications will go through at much lower signal levels that high bandwidth signals like voice.

Think of the snow on your TV or static on your AM radio. You know the signal is there, but it the quality is low. Low baud rate information, like the old morse code dit -dah's, can be understood more easily than voice with a noise overlay due to low signal levels. In layman terms, but I hope it helps.

I have told my daughter that if you cannot get a call through, an SMS (text message) has a better change of making it through and being understood. She has used that idea many times in fringe areas.

7. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    true story

8. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    Wirelessly posted (T-Mobile: Nokia6800/2.0 (5.58) Profile/MIDP-1.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0)

There are two T-Mobile cell sites less than one mile from here, I'm within line-of-sight of both.

In my basement, I get full signal from T-Mobile. The proximity to the nearest cell site may also relate to a weak or no signal in a basement.

9. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I seriously doubt this has anything to do with the problem the OP is having.

10. Gaf318

Gaf318 New Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thank you for your replies. It make allot more sense to me now. Greg