Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Back for help picking a new service/phone - Been gone a long time!

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by our3rotts, Feb 23, 2010.

1. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    If I am understanding it correctly BB's are allowed, just not personal BB's on the company's BES. Which makes a lot of sense to me. Besides, if your employer has a restrictive IT policy on their BES, you probably wouldn't want to have your personal BB activated on their BES as you might not be able to send email with attachments, download programs, use the web browser, etc.

If I am understanding things, the IT dept is telling our3rotts that only way to get wireless sync of contacts, email, and calendar on a personal device is to use a WM phone.

2. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks Matt for the explanation, it makes a lot of sense to me now. Just surpised to hear that WM is better for this situation then BB. Always thought BB was "it" for email business and/or personal use. And Android is cool for syncing everything, I am enjoying the myTouch a lot. :D

3. our3rotts

our3rotts An Iowa Gurl...

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    Now we're all on the same page. Sorry for all the confusion I've caused! ;)

Our IT guy sent me into talk to a specific Verizon rep (the other sales people seemed a bit pissed that I requested someone else besides the first one who talked to me - and the one who helped yesterday wasn't in)

After talking to the rep who said the Droids will use MS Sync just like WM does, then shooting IT an email - IT is good to go with me trying out a Droid on the network. If it doesn't work - I'll return it within my trial period for a WM device.

I think I'm going with the HTC Eris - it's smaller, lighter. And I'm just not willing to shell out $200 for a phone that *may* work with our mail servers. I get it for $50.

I'm heading to pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for going through this ordeal with me! I should've pinned down IT from the start. Though I may not have received an answer. They are in the middle of a VZ deal to get addition "boosters" (am I using that the right way?) throughout our buildings to amp up signals. And Corporate (in Florida) has agreed to let VZ be the primary provider of our business phones & BBs. They are starting the swap of the managers' phones next week.

I know you guys (and Charlyee!) are the best at this stuff. Much more personal group than that "other" site.

Now I am just going to need help modding my new phone!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    Everything It is saying is pretty much correct. A BB can be the most secure, but if they don't allow personal phones on the BES there is nothing you can do. They could have allowed you to have your work email on a BIS plan, but that would not have given you contact and calendar syncing. When it comes to a work situation it is unfortunate that you are completely at the mercy of your employer's IT department as to what they will support for you. The Eris is a nice device, active sync is still a little hit or miss with the email delivery, but overall works good. You were asking why I would pick the Tour over the Curve2. It's for the same reasons you listed, only we have different priorities. I would want the better camera and higher res screen and I prefer the larger device with a bigger keyboard, though the optical track pad and WiFi does make it a harder decision.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Thanks for the explanation, AnthroMatt. This now makes sense to me.

6. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Good luck our3rotts.Be sure to let us know how you like the Eris.

7. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I was somewhat confused as well, I am on the BIS plan and use DM to synch with my Calendar, Contacts, To Do List and Memo Pad. I only have my personal E-Mail accounts on my BB. When I had WM I did the same thing except I could only BT synch, which posed a problem for OS upgrades that required I have a wired connection. I am not sure if our IT will eventually stop the BB as well but for now I am happy, I refuse to pay another $15 to be on the BES plan when I have access to my work laptop pretty much 24/7. :D

Please keep us posted on how the Eris works out for you and have fun playing with it.

Glad everything got sorted out for you our3rotts. :)

8. budney

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    No confusion, just expanding my knowledge of BB and IT. :D

You should like your Eris a lot, Later I will try to post my favorite apps and such from the Android Market to get you started. I am still waiting for some new ROMS and a full backup to the original ROM for my MyTouch.to ROOT it.

9. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    I use DM right now to do those things, but technically, I'm not supposed to, as I could introduce a virus. There have been a couple instances of that happening with other people already & I don't want to add to it.

Another question - is it unreasonable of me to ask the Verizon rep to match the prices I can find in Best Buy? The DROID @ $99, the DEVOUR @ $99 and the ERIS for free?

I've had overnight to rethink not having a physical keyboard on the ERIS. If it was worth it for having less weight. I think I'm going to go crazy overthinking!!!

10. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    I only know 3 people that had the Droid, and two of them returned it for the Eris because they thought the keyboard was more trouble that it was worth. The other one kept the Droid, but never uses the real keyboard.

I chose the Moment on Sprint because of it's physical keyboard...and it is a nice keyboard, much better than the Driod's. My manager has the Eris and he is jealous of my phone. :)

11. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    Thanks, Matt.

That helps. I posted my dilemma as my FB status - and I've got 2 friends that have replied. Think I'll stick with the ERIS.

12. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    Or wait a little longer for the Devour.

13. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    I did go into Best Buy & look at the Devour.

My husband has talked me into waiting until my AT&T contract is up on the 9th. 2 weeks.

Wanna take bets as to how many times I change my mind between now & then???

14. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    If you're anything like me, about 45 times (3 times per day) sounds about right. :)

15. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Over and above changing my mind 45 times, I would not be able to wait 2 weeks, I am into *instant gratification*; immediately if not sooner for me. :lmao:

BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.405 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102

16. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    Yeah -instant gratification is much more "me".

Leave it to a husband to talk common sense and ruin the fun!

17. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    latest update from IT - our VP got a Droid - activesync worked for all Outlook except the contacts - (that's crucial for me). Took it back & got the TP2 - all is good.

So I have to go with WMo.

Sell me on why I should like WMo -other than the fact that I can sync with both my Business & Personal Exchange servers?

*sigh*

18. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    I can't understand why email and calendar sync would work on the Droid but not contact sync. Are you sure your VP selected contact sync? Android phones prefer to sync with GMail contacts by default, so the contact sync may need to me enabled (not sure...just a thought). My work Exchange contacts sync just fine on my Android device...even though I actually would have preferred they not. ;) Not worth erasing my phone entirely to get rid of them though. I just hide them from my contacts view.

As to why you should like WinMo...ask Charlyee or Jay. They are the only people I know that don't hate it. :)

19. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    The IT dept is who was working with it for the VP. They think something with our Security settings & it seeing a non-MS OS/certificates & such

Will any WMo phones be Windows Mobile 7 upgradeable? I'm not seeing much...

Budney has a Touch, doesn't he?

20. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Funny...just goes to show how weird Exchange set-ups can be. My company was using a non-MS certificate and as a result, only iPhones, Android, and Blackberry devices could sync. No WinMo phones or WebOS phones would work as a result of the certificate we were using. The IT dept. recently switched to a new certificate, and now everything works.

Budney is using a MyTouch (Android) now I think. He did used to use WinMo phones though. So I guess he is a fan too. :)

21. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I would imagine hacked versions would be available. I know hacked roms exist to upgrade Windows on my Tilt and on my old iPAQ. The manufacturers and/or carriers aren't going to include an upgrade as that's less of an incentive to purchase a new phone.

22. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    I trapped my IT guy in instant messaging.

Turns out we're talking about 2 different things.

When he says that Activesync won't sync contacts - he actually meant that it won't sync the Global Address List in Exchange.

When I think "contacts" - I think my personal address book in Outlook (which is what I sync on my BB now).

And so - WOO HOO - I'm getting my ERIS on Wednesday!!!

23. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Ah yes, that is correct. It's pretty easy to copy the Global Addresses into your personal Contacts folder anyway should you need to do so. Good news for you!

24. budney

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    It's great to hear the journey is almost over, enjoy Android and your Eris. I do have a MyTouch 3G, which I am having a blast with. But I still do like WM because for me it was easy to navigate and also all the hacking and programs for it. The HD2 is the only possible device that could get WM7, no go for the TP2.

25. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Glad to hear, you a got definitive answer from your "It Guy". It kind of lets me off the hook as well, I had no intention of talking up WM, so basically I got saved by the Android. :D

The Eris got some really good reviews, looking forward to your experience with it.

Have fun with your new toy. :)

26. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    ActiveSynch Exchange will synch and download your contacts from your PC to your phone 'in the cloud'.

For Global addresses/contacts, ActiveSynch provides a searchable database of the entire companies LDAP address. Its very fast, just typing the first characters and it starts provide probable results. Once found it displays all the data on LDAP: email, phone, office, address, etc. It's quite good. Works from the address book or the email program directly.

I use it on my iPhone to look up a 80,0000 employee database.

27. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    Android software is not "fully" developed to use the GAL with activesync - and my company is not going to spend time to fix the bug on a non-standard" phone. Info here.

Maybe one day there will be an updated OS where it works. For now - I'm good with just contact syncing.

28. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    a couple more hours till I have that new phone in my hand!

29. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Woo-hoo!

We all expect detailed feedback once you get it!

30. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Yes absolutely and starting from the "unboxing" preferably. :D