Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Back for help picking a new service/phone - Been gone a long time!

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by our3rotts, Feb 23, 2010.

1. our3rotts

our3rotts An Iowa Gurl...

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    Hey All - it's been a while since I posted. I left my Moto phone, went to a BB 2 years ago, got sucked into work & babies and haven't done much with mods or apps or what have you.

I have missed you all - great to see Charlyee, JFB, Mike, Jay & James (Buickman) are still around. What about Tom (Fire14) and Steven2420?

Now I need some help - AT&T is charging me too much for my BB service. The 12% discount at work is still a good $20 more expensive than Verizon or Nextel would be.

I'm trying to determine if I need my BB - or if another phone would work and give me a cheaper plan. Which is where I need your help, please.

Things I do on my BB (that didn't sound dirty, did it? :biggrin:):
    Vlingo (gotta have voice activated text/email/web)
    Google Maps (no paying for a Nav service)
    Email - at least 2 personal accounts - work won't let have theirs
    Calendar - need to sync my work Outlook with my personal calendar or I'd never know what I was supposed to be doing.
    Facebook/Twitter/Social Scope - something to update statuses and upload pics and keep up with my friends.
    Weather App - my current - NWSClient shows me the info from NOAA for whichever location I add. and it doesn't take a bunch of memory.
    Texting - This is the feature that just put me over the edge of sanity with my ATT account. I've starting going over 200 txt/month & upping that package has now moved me close to $100 per month! :eek:
    Calling plan - I don't use over 450 min a month.
    I use BB Messenger a little - it's not a necessity, though.
    WiFi - sometimes I think it might be a nice to have, but I've lived without it on my 8310.
    - must successfully integrate with Ford Sync.

Sticking with BB with a 450 minute/unlimited personal BB data/500 or unlimited text puts me at:
    Nextel - $60 before tax/FCC fees (worried about coverage) (after 10% work discount)
    Verizon - $70 before tax/Fees - no coverage worries (after 17% work discount)

Sadly, I know nothing about the other smartphones.

So - will you forgive me for only coming around when I'm needy?

I haven't checked yet to see if there is any discussion on this season of "24".

We got rid of our '67 Mustang. Still working on the '68 camaro. And picked up a '46 Plymouth Sedan.

and EEEK - I'm driving a Ford product. Love my Lincoln MXK. pretty blue/black metallic when it's not covered in road dust & mud. Was a difficult switch for a Dodge girl, but I think I've made it through.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Have you looked at Windows Mobile? I think the Windows data plans are cheaper than the BB. Some friends of mine have the Tilt2 and love it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    AT&T keeps trying to get me to get the Enterprise data package - and I don't need it.

Does the unlimited data give me all that I need to do web, email & navigation?

I have limited WinMo experience - except for my sis's bf's HTC, which I do not like.

If I stay with AT&T it looks like my phone choice are an HTC Pure 2 or an LG Incite

Another reason I'd like to switch from AT&T - I am continually having an AT&T problem with someone trying to get into my account. I "assume" it's someone with a similar number that is mistyping - but it happens almost every 2 weeks or less. They say they'll give me a new number - but then everyone will have to "re-learn" my number, as I haven't started using my Google Voice number.

#3 our3rotts, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  4. tbaker

tbaker Junior Member

My Phone:
    curve 8520
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I would go for the BB on AT&T

5. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    Thanks, but I currently have the BB on AT&T - and it's much more expensive than I've become willing to pay for.

I was trying to get a feel for which other phones besides the BB can support my voice activated everything plus give me email, texting and GPS.

The store techs don't always seem to follow what I need it for.

6. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I have the HTC Pure, its a nice little phone.

7. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    So, do you have Vlingo or some similar app?

What do you use for your maps?

How much is your data package?

Come on Jay - you used to be way more verbose than what your showing me now!

8. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    It is great to see you as well, other than Steven2420 and Fire14, everyone else is still around.
    Allow me to jump in. :D

The unlimited data package for all SmartPhones is $30 on AT&T, including the BIS package for Blackberrrys and the iPhone data package. The unlimited messaging is another $20.

I have always used the free Google Maps with all my AT&T SmartPhones to date.

Hope this helps.

9. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    1. Right now I'm using the built in Microsoft Voice Command. Works a lot better than past versions.

2. Tom Tom Navigator 6

3. $19.99 (Grandfathered) Smartphone Connect Unlimited (Unlimited data & email)

Sorry, about not being as detailed but I am at work today.

10. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    OMG - you work? ;)

Thanks Charlyee & Jay.

I read Charlyee's post on her BB9700. You are just gushing about how much you like it. I truly love my Curve. But have envy over a the speed of a friend's BB8520 - the new one is SO much faster. We downloaded the same app - I started 2 minutes earlier & she finished 2 minutes before mine did!

I currently pay $35 for voice, $35 for BIS and then added a $15 unlimited txt bundle to the BB package. My bill went from being $80 up to $96 and since that's only me, I think it's insane. Even a $10 less data package with a WM phone will be crazy when I can get the voice/BB/TXT package on Nextel for $59 and on Verizon for $69.

I think the answer to my question is to stay with a BB and switch carriers.

What's going to be my issue moving away from GSM to CDMA with Verizon?

11. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    No SIM card for easy switching between phones and the ability to talk and surf the web at the same time. Can't think of anything else at the moment...:)

Since you know what you need and how much it's going to cost, if Verizon is cheaper for you, go for it. You won't lose coverage or 3G quality. You'll also be able to use your existing BB apps, which I'm thinking is of more interest to you than switching to a different phone period.

Just be forewarned, you never know what stupidity Verizon will pull (changing things, adding more cost here and there, and other draconian behavoir), and you'll be stuck with them for 2 years. If you can live with this you'll be fine.

Heck, even with all the crap they pull, I'm still with them after 16 years...:D

Good to see you again, o3r.

12. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    She has a 8310, no 3G in that. Even it was a 3G device, there is almost no HSPA in the state of Iowa. Pricing should be identical between VZW and AT&T based on their current plans, unless one gives a bigger corporate discount that the other. If you like what the BB platform does for you, stick with it. Move to a newer model (Bold, Tour) and you will love it. And welcome back to my fellow car lover that is no longer to my south since I have moved to Cali.

13. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I have 3 lines. 2 dumbphones, and the WinMo HTC Pure. $19.99 unlimited internet on the Pure. After discounts my bill comes to almost exactly $100/mo. AT&T has discount agreements with many employers. Have you tried to see if your employer has such an agreement?

14. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    I'm actually already using my husband's corporate discount to get it 12% off.

I can get 17% off at Verizon. Also - with Verizon, the BB enterprise data plan is more expensive than the personal BB plan. No price difference with AT&T.

Since I haven't had 3G- I don't surf & talk at the same time - so there's nothing to miss. I tried to ask an AT&T phone rep into matching the Verizon price. She didn't outright say "don't let the door hit you" but it could have passed for it.

Verizon has better coverage in Iowa than AT&T, and work has a Verizon "repeater" inside the plant, where I have no AT&T signal.

Darn - I think I've talked myself into leaving AT&T.

I have 8 days left before my next statement and my contract is up on 3/8/10.

How could you move from the wonderful 4 seasons of MN to CALI? Though you can drive classics all year round there...

I jumped on the '24' thread. I am actually watching this season.

Thanks, everyone!

15. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    Oh - and I never have gotten into swapping my SIM card - though I probably should have.

I always wondered why you all kept so many phones in your profiles - took me awhile to realize you could just swap the SIM and carry your same phone number in a different "form" as the situation called for.

No option for that with Verizon, huh?

16. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410

LOL, my antique Buick has been 12 feet deep in a snowbank for about 6 weeks now. I don't imagine I'll be able to drive it for at least another 2 weeks if the current melting trend keeps up, but they are threatening another 6 inches of snow tomorrow.

17. Buickman

My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    It wasn't by choice. Though on the bright side my car can be nice and shiny in the middle of January. :D

18. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    So, one day you'll come back to the Midwest?

It's been a heckuva winter here. Warm enough to get the road salt & mud off the car yesterday, then it is snowing & blowing today, not above 15.

19. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Lol, I was "gushing" wasn't I? Yes I like my BB very much and keep finding interesting features all the time. I live in an excellent 3G AT&T coverage area so that helps.

Verizon is really bad in WI, USCC is our CDMA provider of choice, if Verizon is better than AT&T and there is no AT&T 3G in your area, then Verizon is the right choice. I keep hearing about a BB Bold 8560/Tour 2 coming out on Verizon, maybe you want to wait for that?
    I think there is a difference, the BIS plan is $30 and the BES plan is $45, their Data Plans are too darned confusing.
    That's disgusting, how can you stand that? :lmao:

20. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    our3rotts,

If you like touch screen devices, then you may want to take a look at the Storm 2. I have this phone and absolutely love it. I had the Tour for about three weeks and my calls would get garbled in really remote areas. I swapped it out for the Storm 2, and now my calls do not get garbled. If you are still interested in a Tour like phone, I would take Charlyee's advice and wait for the Tour2/Bold. This device will have an optical trackpad and not the trackball that seems to have a high fail rate over time. Plus it will have Wi-Fi which I am starting to use more and more on my Storm 2 (this is especially useful if you happen to be in a weak signal area but have Wi-Fi available where you are).

21. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    Thanks Charlyee.

AT&T apparently changed the BES/BIS bundles sometime in the past couple months so there is a difference. Used to be that both were 39.99. Now you get personal for $30 and Enterprise for $45.

Gamer - I'm not sure I want a full touch screen. Don't know that it will do well with the kids (2 & 8) - they are deeply attracted to the phones & computers in our house. don't know why that would be...

If I stay with AT&T - but leave BB - then I could go with the $40 voice & a $30 data/unlimited txt bundle. that bill might be a bit more palatable than the $96 one with my discounts added in.

On the other hand - without good 3G coverage in Iowa (I'm more by the Iowa City area) - are you saying my data usage will be faster with Verizon than it currently is?

22. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    Went into the Verizon store this afternoon.

I can get a BB8530 free ($100 w/ $100 rebate) Then 1000 extra minutes and my data plan free for the first month.

My BB plan is discounted 20% for corporate - and 17% for other services(450 voice & 250 txt). Ends up to be $66 per month, and then with taxes & fees about $71 per month.

Seem reasonable?

23. Buickman

My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    Yes, but I don't think I would get the 8530. It's not a bad device, there are just better things out there to get. Unless you really like your 8310 and just want a newer version of that I would get something like the Tour (or wait for the Tour2). And to your question about data speeds, yes, your data with VZW will be way faster than what you currently get with AT&T.

PS, I would move back to the midwest in a heartbeat if I could.

24. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Just happened to see you can get a new 9700 free with AT&T, don't know the details, but you can read more here...
    Newegg.com Cell Phone Shop

25. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    James - tell me some reasons you like the Tour over the 8530, please.

I've played around with the 8530 - and I do love my 8310. I don't necessarily need the crisper/bigger screen of the Tour. A review I read over at CB on the 8530 said that he preferred it over the Tour.

The 8530 has Wi-fi, Tour doesn't. The 8530 is smaller/lighter than the Tour. The Tour has a higher resolution camera (3.2 vs 2.0). The 8530 comes in Purple - perfect for the Vikings fan I am...

Since I am already a current AT&T customer, I can't get a free 9700. And I am moving toward not staying an AT&T customer to save a bit on my monthly bill.

26. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    And yet, another update.

Was just talking to my IT manager here at work. He told me to go with an HTC - and that it will sync to my work email/calendar better than my BB - without having to use DM - which is actually a no-no, but I've been doing it.

So I'll end up with a little cheaper data plan.

now to find an HTC...and create a little time for the learning curve.

27. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Which HTC device did your IT guy say to get? HTC makes devices with WM and Android. And why did he say BB is a no-no? I have never heard that before, as BB are normally the device to have for corporate email. It sounds like he has not had the proper training for BB. :)

28. our3rotts

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    no - a personal BB can't be on the BES - I am not allowed an enterprise BB. They are cracking down on all personal devices (flash drives, cameras, phones) on our network. Something about cybersecurity at a nuclear plant....

Just clarified with IT - have to use a WM device, not the android.

now to research Verizon HTC's.

29. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    I am not sure that BB is a no-no, but in a non-BES environment, WM has an edge for companies with Exchange servers in that they can wirelessly sync mail (including all subfolders), contacts, and calendar. a BB on BIS can only do the inbox.

If not for my strong distaste for WM, it would be a more complete solution for me as well.

Android is just perfect though. I can sync all my work (Exchange) email, tasks, contacts, and calendar and I get BES-like sync of my email/calendar/contacts at my Google Apps acct. :cool2:

1 person likes this.
  30. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I am surprised that you are not allowed to have a BlackBerry on your company's plan. From what I have read, any BlackBerry can be activated on either the BIS or BES plan. Hopefully James can chime in since he would be more familiar with Verizon's offerings. Also, from what I have read usually BBs are more secure than Windows Mobile devices and BlackBerry phones are more stable than Windows Mobile. Maybe your IT department is used to WM and not BB. :confused: