Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Authorized Retailer Kickback from Verizon

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by blueteg, Apr 6, 2003.

1. blueteg

blueteg Junior Member

Would anyone care to share how much Verizon gives an authorized retailer for signing up a new contract? Is there a difference in the amount if the customer is new versus extending their expired contract? Thanks in advance!

2. jmccrane

jmccrane Bronze Senior Member

At RadioShack, it is approximately $220 for a new customer on a contract, including a $15 SPIFF that goes to the associate who makes the sale.

Upgrades are around $150-170. That's why you pay more to upgrade your phone at RS than a new customer would pay for the same model.

I assume it is similar for all retailers.

3. willycox420

willycox420 Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless
    Verizon pays it's retail stores a comission of 250 for every new activation and 170 for upgrades

4. blueteg

blueteg Junior Member

So, lets say Verizon Wireless is selling a phone for $249.99 in their store (with a contract signing). If an authorized dealer sells it to me for $149.99, he makes $100 on my new contract signing? Am I understanding this right? Thanks for the feedback!

5. jmccrane

He makes the difference between the wholesale price and what you pay + what Verizon pays. Example:

Motorola V120c (older phone):
    Approx. wholesale= $170
    Price in store=$30 (varies)
    VZW kickback=$250
    Store profit= 250-200=$50

6. willycox420

willycox420 Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless
    sorry but your prices are a little off for retail. The 120c is not thaty expensive, maybe if you buy just one. But if you are a retailer and your buying alot of phones you are not going to pay the same as if you just bought 1. the 120c is abotu an $90 phone at retail. but you are right about how you figure out how much money the retailers make

7. tintin

tintin New Member

Sorry, but I still didn't get the math.

What you pay + what verizon pays = $30 + $ 250 = $280
    Wholesale(or is it Marked price?) price = $170

Store Profit = $(280-170) = $110

8. jayc

jayc Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A670
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Too bad the company owned associates get paid less commission than the agents... however at least we have benefits. [​IMG]

9. jmccrane

Yeah, you're right. I was using that "new math" at the time.

10. MACPA19013

MACPA19013 New Member

Well I know for a fact that no radio shack employee makes more than my friend who works for VZW!!! Their reps can make 95,000.00 a year if their good! and my friend is like top 8 in his area! 95,000.00 to sell phones?? wow

11. Stupiud

Stupiud Yea, I can hear you now!

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Why do u think cell phone stores pop up all over the place? You do, however, need alot of startup capital to open up your own shop.

12. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    It's a Very Volatile Business.

It seems, at least in my area, that 90-something percent of the current "cellular phone dealers" didn't even exist 3 -5 years ago, & probably won't be around 3 or 5 years from now. ("cellular only" dealers - not Radio Shack, Office Max , Stereo Shops, or other retailers who's main business ain't phones). There are a few (1 out of 10 or 15) exceptions.
    For those of us that can remember back 15 years, seems that there is always new "crop" of Beeper/Cellphone dealers that spring up on hiways, strip malls & downtowns every few years, & soon dissapear.
    Unfortuately, I don't see it getting any better for independent dealers, with VZW & all the others opening their own stores with more stock & on site service, & Powerhouse Mega retailers getting into cellphones.
    Let's face it, cellular is becoming like most other "mainstream" electronics..... if one were going to buy a DVD player, Dishwasher, TV , the vast majority would go straight to the Mall, Best Buy, Circuit City, The places that offer 30 day money backs, & flood the mail & papers with full color juicy ads,..... Not "Joe's Hi-way Cellular Hut" or whatever....
    BTW , I'm sure Radio Shack Gets MORE than $300 per VZW activation on a corporate level (which is not what they credit the local store with). With massive clout of something like 6,000 Stores Nationwide, they would be Morons if they got the same deal from VZW that a single dealer in New Jersey gets for activating 20 phones per month.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. jayc

jayc Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A670
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    lol... VZW agents are different than other carriers though. It's hard to get approval to open new stores and it's usually only allowed in cities where there is no VZW corporate store (or maybe 1 other in a city where there is one.) One of the agents here (Cellular Sales of Knoxville) have nicer stores than the VZW owned ones.

14. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Cellular Sales has very nice stores. They have a nice one in the mall in Johnson City, TN and that new one near Kingston Pike in Knoxville, TN is a stand alone store and its HUGE.