Bad luck, Sol: government overrules CDMA switch-off The planned January 28 closure of the regional CDMA mobile network has been deferred until April 28, offering signal-starved rural phone users a temporary reprieve and delivering Telstra its first governmental bich slap for 2008. Despite expensive research claiming that Next G offers better coverage than the older CDMA network and a frenzied pre-Christmas sales push for rural users, a report by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) found that there was not absolute network equivalence and that Telstra hadn't taken sufficient steps to help customers make the transition. "I have notified Telstra today that at this point in time I am not in a position to declare equivalence between the Next G network and the CDMA networks," Minister for Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy Senator Stephen Conroy said in a statement. Telstra has a fortnight to deliver a comprehensive report on how the April 28 deadline, itself a Telstra suggestion, can be met. Actions it needs to undertake include a certification program for its resellers and offering advice to existing Next G customers who are unhappy with the service. "I have made it clear to Telstra that it should continue to do everything possible to ensure that customers are using the correct Next G equipment," Conroy said. "This should include replacing handsets at no financial penalty in genuine cases." A phone line to report Next G issues is also scheduled to be set up. Regional users have complained that areas with CDMA signal lack sufficient Next G coverage to make voice calls. Others say they have been sold the wrong handsets or equipment by Telstra staff, or complained about the higher costs of the service. Last month, the ACCC won a court case taken out against Telstra for deceptive Next G advertising. This writer's own experience bears out the importance of equipment choice. On a recent trip to a farm on the NSW North Coast, a Next G USB modem worked seamlessly, but a PC Card designed for Next G only offered intermittent connections and absolutely refused to work indoors. Telstra advises the use of an external aerial in remote areas. The telco giant appears to have begrudgingly accepted the decision. "We have been on a path to resolve customer issues by 28 January and we were confident we would meet our deadline," Telstra Country Wide managing director Geoff Booth said in a statement. "The Minister has made a different assessment but we are very pleased that he has given us a clear goal for closure, a process to get there, and a clear message to CDMA customers that they need to move quickly." Telstra group manager director for public policy and communications Phil Burgess added, in an uncharacteristically diplomatic fashion: "We are also pleased that the Minister has provided clear direction to Telstra and to consumers about how to proceed to make sure this transition is completed: Telstra has to fix remaining problems and consumers have to make the transition." (But we read between the lines -- in other words: buy some better handsets, or else, proles.) Telstra's mania for secrecy, evident in the ACCC case where it asked for some information submitted in evidence to be blocked from public release, continues. Parts of the ACMA report have similarly been blacked out as "commercial in confidence", including details of which handsets don't work well on Next G. How Telstra expects to keep that information secret while ensuring a smooth transition for customers has not yet been made clear. Bad luck, Sol: government overrules CDMA switch-off | APC Magazine
I'm not sure what kind of requirements the gov't put on Telstra (I think they just had to match CDMA coverage), but they have to consider the CDMA network was a mature network, and the WCDMA was rolled out only recently. It's going to take a little time to tune it and work the bugs out. Especially considering how fast they rolled it out. But I don't see how keeping the CDMA network alive will help that. Actually the quicker they switch it off, the better it will be for everyone. I think the lack of handsets was a problem in the beginning for them, but as WCDMA850 gets more popular in the US and Canada, more of a selection of quality handsets will be available.
Telstra should do to their CDMA customers what AT&T did to their TDMA customers. Charge them a extra charge every month for using the technology until either no one else is using CDMA or the Gov lets them turn it off.
These are the extended range CDMA towers, they have a radius of 70+ miles. Its going to be hard to beat the coverage. Its alot like shutting down our analog network.
Yeah what is the limit for GSM like 20 miles before it really cant be used?? So they would need to add more. I understand that this is more standard though whatever works best for them.
Arent they pushing UMTS which is WCDMA they should should have alot of the network tuning options that CDMA has. Both GSM and CDMA have options to make they extended cell sites so WCDMA being a combination of the 2 should be able to do the same.
Well AFAIK I am not sure what they are doing. One would think UMTS would be able to carry farther but I cant confirm this. I will try to do some reading on my own to see if this can be done. Cause this would be very interesting to know thanks for bringing this point up to me. I also wanted to point out you need a good spectrum to travel these distances as well.
There was no mention of what the problem was exactly, but I don't think it has to do with the range of CDMA vs. WCDMA. They should be about the same essentially. WCDMA is more related to CDMA technology-wise, it doesn't really have anything in common with GSM, except a compatible chiprate. But yea, all of the technologies (CDMA, GSM, WCDMA) have extended range features, so really the range shouldn't be an issue. In fact Ericsson and Telstra reached 200km last year with WCDMA sites: Ericsson and Telstra achieve world first 200 km cell range in nationwide network with up to 14.4 Mbps - Press Release