Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

ATT Wireless vs Voicestream

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by kobeat, Jul 9, 2002.

1. kobeat

kobeat New Member

HELP! I need to switch cell phone companies and phone and the more I read the more confused I get!

I am currently using Sprint PCS with a Motorola Timeport. While I like my phone and tend to like Sprint I am paying a high price for no use (I think one month I used 5 minutes). We don’t have Sprint service at our house, down the street yes but at our house no. My husband got me the phone last summer while we were moving (his company uses Sprint) and it was great. I keep it for emergencies or if my children’s school needs to reach me when I’m not at home. Since most plans offer “free” minutes I would like to have a service I can use at my house. That way I can use the minutes I’ve already paid for to make calls I would normally pay for through my regular local or long distance services. I’ve narrowed my choices to AT&T or Voicestream since both offer a lower priced ($19.99 or $29.99) plan than my current $34.99 ($41.95 with the various taxes etc). A recent bad experience with AT&T Wireless has my shying away from them except I know their service works even during a rain storm. Any advice on which phone to get would be appreciated too. I've only used two cell phones, my timeport and the Ericcson R300LX which seemed to work fine the three days I had it. I’d rather not spend a lot on the phone but I do want something that works well.

Thanks.

2. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    We can help you more if you tell us the metro area where you live. Each carrier has their strengths and weaknesses in different places....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

I would be considered the NY metro area. I'm looking for any information on reception out on Long Island as well. My only real problem with Sprint is that I cannot use it at my house. I could handle the cost if I could use my minutes while at home. Thanks again.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

The last message was from me, the original poster. I don't know why it came up anonomous?[​IMG]

5. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

most likely than not if sprint is not workin at your home in the ny metro area give verizon a shot.....they do have a 14 or 15 day trial so take the phone home with you and to work etc and see how it works ......if it does you well then keep them....if verizon fails you i'd say give voicestream a shot but they only have a 72hr trial period.

6. Japultra

Japultra New Member

if you're planning on using the "free" minutes, go with at&t. voicestream does not give you night minutes which would limit your "free" minutes to only the weekends and not even friday nights.

7. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    From what I have heard AT&T isn't so good in that area. Verizon might work the best for you and you get a 15 day trial period with them.

Verizon Wireless

8. CaliphoniaBoy

CaliphoniaBoy Senior Member

I have just posted this in another thread but let me repeat :)

---

I typically do not like comments like this... but I make a exception for this one as I trust the guy I am referring to:

I have a friend in NYC and he switched from ATT to VS and he absolutely loves it. In other words... he is a real voicestream-believer :)

C.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

At home, I use Voicestream, my daughter has ATTWS, and my wife has Verizon. We live in suburban central Westchester County north of Manhattan. I also manage my company's wireless accounts with VS and ATTWS so I know a little about this stuff. In my experience Verizon has the strongest signal but is the most expensive. Voicestream is very good value if you're a big user - but signal can be a problem in more rural areas or away from highway routes. ATTWS is more expensive for high end users and I've found their signal slightly more reliable in some areas. But if you're a low user both ATTWS and VS have a small bucket plan for $19.99. What I try to do when I'm told by staff that it is important to get signal at their home - borrow a phone or ask around town, or your neighbors - find out which company works well and which ones not at all. There's no point getting the cheapest rate if the phone won't work when you need it. What area do you live in?

10. kobeat

kobeat New Member

I'm in Port Jefferson Station out on Long Island. I know AT&T works here since I ever so briefly had their service. Sprint, while it is lousy at my house, works just fine at my neighbor's house. She only lives 8 houses away! Verizon is the same price as Sprint. I like the $19.99 option with VoiceStream. AT&T's cheap option doesn't give me voicemail. Guess I need to find someone who'll lend me their VoiceStream phone to check the service.

11. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Also you could consider getting a voicestream pre-paid to check out the service.

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. kobeat

kobeat New Member

Interesting idea but don't I have to buy a VoiceStream phone to use the pre-paid card? Even on Amazon.com that's $70 plus the cost of the minutes.

13. kobeat

kobeat New Member

I've decided to try VoiceStream since I can return it for a full refund (within the first 72 hours) if I find it doesn't work at my house. My next problem is a phone. I'm thinking of the Samsung N105 or Ericsson T28W. Both seem to get good reviews and have the flip cover. Since I throw it in my purse or bag it seems like a good idea to have the keys covered. I currently have the Sprint (motorola) Timeport flip type. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

14. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I would go with the samsung

Jack

15. Scalici26

Scalici26 Senior Member

I would prefer the T28w over the N105 because it is smaller, lighter, good sound quality, and tends to get better reception.

16. IdiOTeQnoLogY

let us know how VS works out for you.

17. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Or go with the motorola v60.

Jack

18. zeeker

zeeker Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    go with the V60g....you won't be dissapointed. I love mine.[​IMG]

19. IdiOTeQnoLogY

your signature (cdma make room for gsm it will take over) is rather highminded.

its funny cause cdma carriers in korea and japan are killing the next generation offerings of GSM carriers.

20. Guest

Guest Guest

<< your signature (cdma make room for gsm it will take over) is rather highminded.

its funny cause cdma carriers in korea and japan are killing the next generation offerings of GSM carriers.
    >>

WHAT DOES THIS GOT TO DO W/ SELECTING SERVICE?[​IMG][​IMG]

21. zeeker

zeeker Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    << your signature (cdma make room for gsm it will take over) is rather highminded.

>>

You know that GSM is the most widely used standard in all the world. It's just a matter of time.......I'm sure you know that (are you going thru the shakes????[​IMG])

22. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

You should get Voicestream (T-Mobile).

23. IdiOTeQnoLogY

i know GSM is the most widely used standard in the world and i have no problems with it at all......i just think gsm users who spout things out that cdma is going going gone are just rather stupid...especially considering all GSM carriers are evolving to a form of cdma for next generation networks.......just shows how ignorant you are.

Moderator: are you refering to UMTS?

24. zeeker

zeeker Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    I have one word for you, "classless". Debate the topic or make your point. You have displayed your "ignorance" which doesn't even merit this reply.

25. Guest

Guest Guest

<<

>>

You know that GSM is the most widely used standard in all the world. It's just a matter of time.......I'm sure you know that (are you going thru the shakes????[​IMG])
    >>

A MATTER OF TIME? HOW MUCH TIME IN THIS FALLING STOCK PRICES WHERE THERE'S NO VENTURE CAPITAL AVAILABLE? DID YOU SAY 10 YEARS...

26. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    <<

>>

You know that GSM is the most widely used standard in all the world. It's just a matter of time.......I
    >>

That's what the said about the USA adopting the metric system and liking soccer(or football to all of the rest of the world). We know how much we love soccer. I'd drive sixty kilometers to go see a match [​IMG]

27. Guest

Guest Guest

3G Americas Demystifies GSM Voice CapacityRysavy Research White Paper Confirms - GSM Doubles TDMA Capacity and Is Equal to or Better Than CDMA
    7/18/2002
    BELLEVUE, Wash., Jul 18, 2002 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- 3G Americas today published a white paper written by independent expert Peter Rysavy of Rysavy Research concluding that wireless carriers that transform their TDMA networks to the world standard GSM wireless technology can double their voice capacity.

The white paper will be discussed and reviewed on a free webcast, Opening Channels: GSM Voice Capacity Demystified at 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Eastern time today, July 18th featuring presentations by the author, Peter Rysavy, and testimonials based on GSM voice capacity network experiences by Bill Clift, Chairman of the Board of 3G Americas and Chief Technical Officer of Cingular Wireless, and Bob Berner, Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer of Rogers AT&T Wireless.

Chris Pearson, Executive Vice President of 3G Americas and moderator of the interactive webcast stated, "The conclusions of the white paper, Voice Capacity Enhancements for GSM Evolution to UTMS, confirm yet another benefit of choosing the GSM evolutionary path to 3G, especially for TDMA operators." Pearson continued, "Though there is a great deal of focus on 2.5G and 3G wireless data services, voice will remain a key ingredient for success of carriers for years to come, and the efficient use of spectrum remains critical to the Americas region."

Rysavy Research utilized numerous internal and external sources including vendors and operators to compile a composite view of GSM voice capacity. "The conclusions in this white paper are well supported by the industry," stated the author, Peter Rysavy. "There are many enhancements available, both now and in the future, that will boost GSM capacity, such as frequency hopping, advanced radio planning, and new voice compression methods."

Conclusions of the paper indicate that with GSM innovations:

-- GSM maximizes capacity to sixteen times first generation analog wireless service (AMPS) using the new Adaptive Multi-rate Codec (AMR) -- GSM today has almost double the capacity of TDMA -- and with AMR the gains will quadruple -- GSM voice capacity is equal to, or better than, CDMA2000 -- Single Antenna Interference Cancellation (SAIC), still in development, will provide an additional increase of 60-100% in voice capacity, making GSM the most spectrally efficient technology for speech services -- Beyond GSM, UMTS provides additional capacity, quality-of-service mechanisms, and flexibility in managing resources between voice and data services

"There has been considerable speculation on the part of industry pundits regarding the issue of GSM capacity versus other technologies. This white paper by Rysavy Research provides the proper explanation of the technical benefits of the GSM standard that the industry has been waiting for," remarked Bill Clift.

As the world's leading wireless technology, GSM is used in more than 75% of the world's digital wireless phones and in more than 175 countries.

28. Guest

Guest Guest

Back to AT&T vs VoiceStream.

I was comparing $19.99 plans last fall and was ready to go with VoiceStream. Then I read the contract and it appeared they charge for busy/no answer calls. I asked their customer service and they verified this.

I looked at the AT&T $19.99 plan, but as mentioned earlier here they want $6.95/mo for voice mail on that plan. I decided to stick with my AT&T prepaid for a while longer.

29. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    VS does not charge for busy or no answer calls.

30. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    AT&T is going to start charging for busy/no answer:

link