Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

SOUTH U.S. -- ATT Wireless Problem - "number not in service" message

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by RedStickHam, Jul 8, 2011.

1. RedStickHam

RedStickHam New Member

My Phone:
    ATT F160
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT
    I'm beginning to wonder if I should leave ATT Wireless after 15 years as soon as my contract expires. I started with them when it was BellSouth Mobility, then Cingular, now ATT. Here's why I'm thinking about leaving. My wife has had a problem with her number on 2 different phones she's used. People have called her and gotten the message that "the number is not in service." This usually happens when her phone is switched off.

I don't know if it has happened to my phone because I don't get many calls. I called customer service and they agreed to re-register the phone, which means they did something on their end and my wife has to cycle the power on her phone. Hopefully this will solve the problem. I've called her phone a few times when she had it switched off and gone straight to voice mail. This is a problem since we don't have a landline anymore and our cellphones are our main phone numbers.

She told me this has happened a few times over the last couple of months with 2 different phones and she's not happy about it. We still have about a year and a half left on our contracts and are wondering if we should switch to Verizon or Sprint and port our numbers. We only use our phones for voice calling and the occasional text message.

I was just wondering if anyone else was having this problem.

2. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Welcome!

I understand your wife's frustration. I too do not have a landline and increasingly unreliable service from Sprint led me to switch to AT&T a few months ago. Keep in mind that is not an endorsement of AT&T or a knock on Sprint service in Louisiana (though I'd recommend Verizon if you do switch).

Since your wife has had this issue in 2 phones, we can pretty much rule out the phone being the culprit. If you have never had this issue, it is doubtful the AT&T network is at fault. Since I am fairly new to the world of SIM cards everything that is about to follow may be totally wrong, but I wonder if it is possible your wife's SIM card has gone bad?

Since you say power cycling the phones fixes the issue, it sounds like the phone is getting "stuck" in a state that causes the network to give an erroneous message to incoming callers. Assuming your wife is swapping the same SIM card between the two phones, it would make sense that a SIM-caused problem is presenting itself in both devices.

Has your wife had this problem everywhere or just in one location? Since you said you don't use your phone often enough to know whether yours is having the same problem (which would indicate a network issue), it is harder to say for certain if the issue is specific to your wife's line or indicative of a greater problem.

You mention you have about 18 months left in your contract...is the issue new or has it been there for most of those 6 months?

3. RedStickHam

RedStickHam New Member

My Phone:
    ATT F160
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT
    She told me the problem happened before she got the new phone, which is when she signed a new contract, and I got a new phone shortly after that which also required a new contract. She did get a new SIM card when she got her new phone, so I doubt that is the culprit.

The problem, at least according to her, happens when the phone is off. She has the phone off now and I called it from both my cell phone and my work landline and went straight to voice mail, which is what should have happened. I'm hoping whatever ATT did on their end will fix the problem. I've called her phone multiple times when the power was off and the problem didn't happen, so I can't figure out what could have caused it.

One other thing I have noticed is she has more trouble getting signal strength on her phone than I do. She has a Pantech Breeze II and I have the ZTE/ATT F160 and I almost always get good signal strength. I'm wondering if ATT service is deteriorating.

Thanks for replying, hopefully we can get this mystery solved soon.

4. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well, I am glad that everything seems to be in order for now. Hopefully it stays that way. Best of luck!