Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

ATT to Sprint (tethering)?

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by MattN03, Apr 5, 2010.

1. MattN03

MattN03 New Member

We're considering switching from AT&T phone service to Sprint phone service. Currently, we're using a Sprint EVDO card because we live in a rural area where cable/DSL isn't available. From what I've read on here, Sprint doesn't offer tethering with any of their data packages, but there are some options depending on what phone you have.

We probably average 3.5 GB of data on the Sprint card monthly. Can anyone provide any suggestions on what phones would be the best to use for tethering? Since this would be our only internet service, I'd need to be sure it worked reliably and allowed access to all websites-including encrypted sites.

We'd like to eliminate having cellphones and EVDO card bills and try to save a little more money.

2. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    Welcome to WA!

I'm not sure if Sprint has any tethering plans - perhaps someone else can answer that question.

You would be able to tether most smartphones to your computer. While it's not exactly "allowed", I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble. So long as you don't go over 5GB of usage of every month, I think you'll be okay.

I use the Blackberry Tour and a program called "Tether for Blackberry". It works great.

One disadvantage of tethering with Sprint or Verizon (or any other CDMA carrier) - if you get an incoming call your data connection will be interrupted.

I hope that helps out a little bit. Let us know what you ultimately decide to do!

3. MattN03

MattN03 New Member

Thanks for the info! Is it easier to tether a BB or HTC phone?

4. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    It depends on the operating system that the phone is using...

Programs like tetherberry and PDAnet make it very easy to tether. Be sure to check out their websites to see what phones are compatible.

5. MattN03

MattN03 New Member

I swung by Sprint tonight and picked up a Hero for me & a BB Curve 8530 for my wife. The Sprint sales person said I could definitely tether the BB for some extra $$/month, but wasn't sure about the Hero. Brought the Hero home and installed PDAnet and I'm up & running on the internet. It seems about the same as my Sprint card, so I'm happy. I haven't played with the BB much yet, but I like the Hero MUCH better. My wife returns from a trip late tomorrow, so she can play with both phones and pick a favorite. I believe she'll like the Hero much better too.

We're going to try them out for the next 30 days and see how overall reception & service is, but I can FINALLY make a call in our basement with the Hero! I haven't been able to do that with the AT&T BJ2 I have. If reception is pretty good over the next couple weeks, I plan on talking to AT&T about cancellation. My current 2 year contract is up in August or December this year with AT&T. What are my options to get out of this & would Sprint pay AT&T to move me to their network? :browani:

6. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    If you are in a legitimate AT&T coverage hole, you may be able to legally get out of your contract. There's no guarantee, but I have a friend who lives in an AT&T fringe area in Southern Oregon who was able to cancel AT&T without an ETF for this reason.

It's worth a try to find out. Again, NO guarantees though.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...