Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

ATT TDMA to ATT GSM

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Scalici26, May 13, 2002.

1. Scalici26

Scalici26 Senior Member

Well i've made my decision. I decied to switch to ATT from the horrible Nextel. Without a doubt GSM is the future, but it still lacks coverage in the US. I decided to go with ATT because of their extensive coverage of TDMA and also AMPS. Anyway, my question is do you think that ATT will let customers that have TDMA service, switch to their GSM service when it becomes avalible in their service area? I think if, ATT overlaps GSM with their TDMA, they will have better coverage than VS. Which is why I choose ATT over VS.

2. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

AT&T is going to offer Gait phones, which means that it will be able to ulitize both their Tdma and Gsm services, The phone itself will search for Gsm signal first and then it will search for tdma signal. All in all the phone makes up the coverage that you normally would not receive if you had just a Gsm phone.

3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    To add to Dukedog's post, according to 3gamericas.org

<< TDMA and GSM digital subscribers may roam on either network with the use of the dual-technology GAIT (GSM ANSI-136 Interoperability Team) terminals. This means that GSM and TDMA subscribers have truly global coverage in 189 countries and territories. However, there is not a solution for TDMA roaming with CDMA networks. >>

See complete article at: http://www.3gamericas.org/English/Technology_Center/QA/tdmaqa.cfm

4. Scalici26

Scalici26 Senior Member

Does anyone think that Verizon and SPCS will go GSM? All the other major providers except nextel (they are going CDMA) are already switching over to GSM. Will CDMA eventually become what AMPS is today?

5. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Scalici: I'm not sure I understand your post, so....

Verizon's CDMA technology is already beyond the technology of GSM, so going backwards is not going to happen. However, there has been some talk about phones from Verizon being CDMA and GSM. That possibility is still in its infancy. I doubt Verizon will build its own GSM network. (That seems unlikely to me because eventually all the carriers in the USA and abroad are going CDMA2000 or w-CDMA.) So, though I am only an industry watcher, I would venture the most logical choice would be for Verizon to develop GSM roaming agreements.

6. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Cingular is also launching GSM in NYC this summer. Does anyone know if both AT&T and Cingular will share towers with GSM just like they are doing now with TDMA? And also, will these coming GAIT phones pick up analog signals in addition to GSM and TDMA?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    bobolito:

From what I've read around these parts and others, some GAIT phones will only be digitial (TDMA, GSM). Others will also have analog. If I remember correctly, the new Siemens GAIT phone is only digital.

kev

8. ILUVSOCAL

ILUVSOCAL Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 3600(me)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T(Me),Cingular(Me,Mom),Edge Wireless(Dad)
    Kevin, don't you think that since 40%(more, less?) of Verizon is owned by Vodaphone UK, that Verizon is under a lot of pressure to put up some sort of GSM? I seem to remember them having a tiff over it a while ago.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

VodaPhone NEEDS a stronger US presence (consider their chief Euro rival Deutche Telecom/T-Mobile owns VoiceStream) and Verizon NEEDS a stronger international (roaming) story. Since the chances of the Euro carriers offering anything other than multi-BAND GSM phones in the near -- and even possibly far -- term seem remote (to say the least), the solution would seem to be in Verizon's court.

Multi-protocol (CDMA/GSM??) phones would solve the US roaming in Europe problem and bring potentially more (roaming) business to VodaPhone. And such phones could potentially be used in the US. It would not do a whole lot for the Europeans traveling to the US.

The Europeans are converting their networks to something much more CDMA-like, but it will be a while before they are (all) there and there is likely to be a substantial time when both GSM and whatever are supported. (Although the Europeans are not as constrained as the US in simply wiping out one service and implementing another. Customer friendly is not a trait often ascribed to them!)

It is certainly not clear that Verizon has lost a ton of business because their customers can't transparently roam to Europe. VoiceStream has not been wildly succesful because of the Europeans who can roam here. It is hard to see exactly what economic incentives the US carriers have to make a massive push for European compatibility. (The push to convert is driven more by SERVICES -- video, etc) than by technology compatibility.) The US has traditionally driven it's technology to the world. It has not widely embraced others.... I don't see why cellphones will be much different.

10. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    << Cingular is also launching GSM in NYC this summer. Does anyone know if both AT&T and Cingular will share towers with GSM just like they are doing now with TDMA? And also, will these coming GAIT phones pick up analog signals in addition to GSM and TDMA? >>

Cingular's GSM service in NYC market is an agreement with VoiceSteam for sharing of tower space. In return, VS is sharing Cingular/s network in CA and NV, after Cingular spends $450 million to upgrade it.

11. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    what about at&t wireless gsm in pennsylvania

Jack

12. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    In that case, I am better off keeping my TDMA Cingular phone. While Voicestream GSM coverage is not bad here in North Jersey, TDMA coverage by AT&T is better (Cingular covers my area by agreement with AT&T). Plus, I have the peace of mind of being able to pickup multiple networks when I travel with my Nokia 3360 (TDMA800/1900 and AMPS800). I've been in stretches of highways in upstate NY, MA and PA where Voicestream customers are totally out of coverage. However, with my phone, I am always covered wherever I go since not only TDMA coverage is more extensive than GSM, but also I can at least get analog signal where there's no digital TDMA coverage. This is only in the meantime since AT&T will be converting to GSM in the next few years. I believe they will start converting the more important markets first and then work their way out to the smaller towns and suburbs.