Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

ATT TDMA - No reception !!!

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by ndasgupt, May 14, 2004.

1. ndasgupt

ndasgupt New Member

Hi,

I have two phone lines from ATT - one that is used in CT, and another in PA. Now, recently, for the past 4-5 months, the phone that is in CT has been working very poorly. For eg. a. 90% of phone calls do not come through, b. Lines get disconnected often, etc. I tried working with ATT to resolve the issue, but I was told that the phone equipment might have been faulty. The phones are "free phones" that I had received a couple of years back when I signed up with ATT.

Today, I came to know that ATT had made some major changes to it's TDMA network in this region sometime back, whereby, TDMA phones were losing connectivity. Most ATT phones out here are GSM now. I explained that given that ATT made changes, the customer (me) who has still paid for the services, should be reimbursed - cause ATT obviously took the privilege of receiving phone calls away from them. After all, if you pay for a monthly phone service, you expect to get that service. Of course, they were not willing to negotiate, nor offer a standard GSM phone to restore phone connectivity.

Further, this phone is used on an overseas ATT partner network (ATT Worldconnect programme) in Europe using an European GSM-band phone. For that and other ATT cell phone charges I accumulate every year, I pay ATT in excess of $ 4000 per year just in phone calls.

I was thus a bit taken aback, when they refused to credit for 3 months of service charges, despite the fact that they had themselves degraded the service to serve their business interest.

I think it's time now to switch carrier - but I still want that service charge refunded to me. If ATT fails to realize that they will lose a 4grand/year customer because they don't want to reimburse for their own shortcoming, it's not something I can help. How can I go about getting this money back - I am tired of paying them all this money, and clearly, they have neither the business sense nor the goodwill to accept their mistakes. In addition, if there are further steps I can take please let me know - is there a consumer complaint bureau / some agency that can take firm and fast action against such daylight-robbery style gung-ho practices by a failing miserable ingrate carrier.

Thanks for reading my note,

With regards,

- Nataraj.

2. rich6880

rich6880 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    First, let me say Hi, we are both in Fairfield; small world. I think that you should start a small claims court action; a lot of trouble, but I do not think that ATT will even show up. The cost of the time needed would be much more than the money they would save.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ndasgupt

ndasgupt New Member

Hey Rich,

Yeah, I know what you mean with this Small Claims thing. I've never been this determined to do something about this - but clearly, if you paid for a service, and they didn't provide the service, re-imbursement is only justified. Let's see if this goes anywhere. To be honest I don't mind losing this 150 bucks, I pay them many times over -- but the thing comes down to unfair practices, and that is where it doesn't sound right. Well, anyway. I also posted this note on HowardForums, where the guys came up with some very good suggestions -- still going on -- http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2974837#post2974837

Btw, did you also have TDMA, ... do you also have the same problems.

Thanks and regards,

- Nataraj.

4. dtownfb

dtownfb Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I definitely sympathize with you but I doubt you have any ground to stand on in court. ATT has made a concerted effort to upgrade to GSM as soon as possible. I'm sure that involved reconfiguring some of their towers from TDMA to GSM which weakens the overall TDMA network. Inoticed a significant decline in theri network here inthe Lehigh Valley (eastern PA and Western NJ) which pormpted me to switch to Verizon. Now with number portablility, your best option as a consumer to is switch carriers. Since you travel to Europe (I beleive you mentioned that in an earlier post), Cingular may be the best option for you or wait for the new CDMA/GSM phone.

5. pcardoza

pcardoza Junior Member

Since Cingular and AT&T are now essentially sharing their networks (With the AT&T GSM Amaerica Plan), what good will a switch do him? I suggest he take a look at GSM America with a GAIT phone.

6. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The TDMA system is still being used by AT&T around the country, some people are complaining that it has gone down compared to a couple of years ago and that is true since they are putting most of there money and energy in the GSM system. Since your phone is a couple of years old you it is time for a new phone and you can either get another TDMA phone, which would still be usable.
    The next choice is to go with the GSM phone system, get the phone cheaper then a TDMA and get free roaming within the nation or if you need a local plan you can get one with no roaming locally and i think you will be happy with the GSM system. And unlimited M2M, N&W and 7-7 for N&W with a 59.99 plan or above you can't go wrong, And once the merger goes thru in November you will have the largest coverage and more people to have the M2M with. And in the FCC filings Cingular stated they would keep and maintain the TDMA system till they get more people on the GSM.
    This is just something for you to think about before going to small claims court.

7. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Cingular said that... :eek:

IMO, that is a BIG fat lie :mad:

Man, they have some nerve to say that, since we canceled our Cingular service in March becuase Cingular tdma down here was getting so bad I could hardly here my friends/family on the other end of the conversation.....that is why we switched to Sprint PCS.....;) :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    They did say it in the filing since a majority of AT&T's customers are still on TDMA, so they have to keep it till they can get the majority over to GSM, I think once the merger goes thru they will be able to offer deals to get customers over to GSM and then start getting rid of the TDMA systems. I don't remember the numbers but i think only 38% of AT&T customers are on GSM right now.

9. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I am not contradicting what you or Cingular said, I am just saying that IMO, that may be true for some areas, but since SW Florida's Cingular tdma sucks so bad, I just don't believe it.

My intention wasn't to contradict you. I just don't believe Cingular "maintains" their tdma network in every part of the U.S. ;)

10. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Cingular doesn't maintain there network any more, I believe that they will be 100% built out in July, and they are getting everyone over to GSM. I think they will do the same thing with AT&T customers within the next couple of years once the merger is done. I doesn't make business sense to keep both networks, if they don't have to.

11. globetrotter

globetrotter New Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless
    Is that fact actually true? AT&T only has 38% of their population on their GSM network? That doesn't sound true to me. I mean, they have had GSM out for more than 2 years already and as of now people have been having more problems with AT&T's TDMA than they have had with GSM, according to this forum.

Well, with 62% still on TDMA, I now can see why AT&T bled so many customers during the number portability. TDMA plainly stinks compared against GSM, in almost every aspect of a voice and data (if existant) call. No wonder everyone wanted to ditch them, that other 62% had not seen the other side of the spectrum (pun intended). The only advantage TDMA had that I was in favor of is analog, since it is spread out so far around the US and it became convienient to have. Maybe if AT&T did this:

1: Converted much more of their population over to GSM quicker like Cingular.

2: Didn't have a large failure with their Siebel system during the Number Portability.

- and -

3: Didn't split from AT&T to become it's own, independent, weak, crashing stock (take a look at around year 2002 on a stock chart).

Then they probably wouldn't have been bought by Cingular. This is only an opinion, you're entitled to say otherwise. But I think AT&T's Wireless department has made some pretty bad moves over the past few years, and the worst part is that they really could have had something going for them.

12. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I agree AT&T has had some downfalls, but there new plans are ment to try and get more people over to the GSM side, Like i said i am not positive of the # of GSM users but believe it's close. I think by the time the merger happens more will be GSM customers, since they are pushing it hard. And the Managment of AT&T wireless is the downfall of the company, not seperating from AT&T Corp. it's self. We will see after the merger when AT&T Corp goes back into wireless how they are at it.

13. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Maintaining TDMA doesn't necessarily mean making improvements to it. It means they will keep the signal alive for service while they push everyone to move to GSM. You can't simply shut down TDMA and leave millions of people in the cold. They have to maintain the TDMA network alive until every stubborn TDMA customer decides to move to GSM. The problem is they can only do so much to get people to move. They can't send people a letter saying "We are going to cut your service if you don't move to GSM now". The most they can do is offer strong incentives and hope that people will be attracted to GSM and make the move. In the meantime they still have to service those remaining, slow-moving, old-school TDMA customers.

14. Etorres777

Etorres777 Life is good for now..

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t Mobility
    I wonder if AT&T Corp. (after they've made another wireless carrier) will let them break off again. Hopefully they've learned it doesn't work out that well. :cool:

15. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    Remember, not every TDMA customer is "stubborn" or "slow moving" or "old school." That is rather condescending - there are many TDMA customers like myself who have found that in our calling areas, GSM simply does not have the coverage that TDMA has. It has nothing to do with being stubborn or old school.

Frankly, ATT will have to do more than just cajoling or threatening people to move to GSM. If they did, they will have a predictable response - customer ditches perfectly good TDMA service and switches to GSM, realizes after a week or two that the service simply does not have the coverage, and switches to some other carrier.

For now in Oregon, where I spend 99.99% of my time, TDMA/AMPS does really well for me. I have almost never had a coverage/signal problem. I have no intentions of moving to GSM at the expense of coverage. If TDMA quality drops, I will start shopping but ATT better beware that unless GSM coverage has improved by then, they are likely to lose a 10-year customer to some other carrier. The ball is in their court.

16. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I hear you. I'm in Portland and I've been told by a few friends who were moved over to GSM from TDMA that it sucks! Call quality and coverage went way down for them. Maybe it'll get better...

17. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Is GSM the only choice? You can go CDMA. So there goes your theory. ;)

18. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Xiaomi Mi Mix 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, Sprint
    That is exactly what I was saying: For now, TDMA works for me - it gives me excellent coverage where I need it and is better than GSM. And my reason to stay with TDMA has nothing to do with whether I am slow or old-fashioned. When TDMA coverage takes a turn for the worse and no longer meets my needs, I will shop for an alternative, and unless ATT GSM improves, ATT will not be on my shortlist of alternative providers. So, it is really up to ATT to take the steps necessary to retain my business by ensuring that their GSM coverage is equivalent to my current TDMA/AMPS coverage.

I don't really care about GSM vs. CDMA - I will go with whatever provider/technology gives me the best coverage at the lowest cost.

I am not sure what theory you are referring to.

19. Yahoo!Man

Yahoo!Man Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 1260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless (TDMA) - Free2Go Wireless
    I feel the same exact way natraj, i have AT&T Free-2-Go Wireless i have to admit they have GREAT rates at .25 per minute, unlimited incoming txt messages and .10 to recieve. Then the other good thing is nationwide service, no activation fee, balance expires in 90 days and rollover minutes plus i get to buy a refill card for only $10 (lowest denomintation avalible) every 90 days that fits great into my budget, instead of paying 15, 20 or 30 $ (that being the lowest denomintation avalible).

I get good service (i mean almost every where i go i am either in the ATT Home or ATT Extended (Suncom in GA, SC, NC, VA or Verizon in AL, rural VA and northern NC also eastern Tennessee) for the state that i live in which in FL but not to good of coverage any where else... except in metro areas such as: Salt Lake, Reno and Denver.

Over the last few years i have noticed and months that my service has gone down to barley anything in the small towns and citys also in rural areas... i get so-so coverage in metro areas.

I used to have 3 bars with ATT in all areas and great voice quality and sometimes 2 bars but now i am lucky to get 2 bars i usually get 1 ATT Home, ATT extended 3 or no service and sometimes 1 bar analog all with really bad voice quality

I think it is time ATT Wireless switches their prepaid network to GSM VERY SOON or they will loose me and my grandmother (she has SAME problems except she has the monthly ATT TDMA plan)

I think i might switch to ATT Corp. (if they have CDMA or GSM) wireless service (as long as they do not depend on Cingular or ATT network) or i could switch to Wal-Mart Cellular IF they ever do get cellular service and if they come out with CDMA or GSM and do not depend on ATT or Cingular Network! i WILL NEVER go with TDMA service again :mad: , kind of like 7-11 SpeakOut has.

Or i could switch to TMobile EasySpeak Only thing is, i think they charge an activation fee or a SIM card Fee (to buy a new SIM card) or something like that to reactivate your phone :confused:

I will never go with Cingular's KIIC been their done that, with only half the united states avalible for service, .10 to send adn recive text messages and.35 per mintues peak and .10 non peak (but i never talked non peak) :(

ANY ADVICE, DO NOT MENTION VERIZON FREE UP OR VIRGIN MOBILE IT IS A RIPE OFF FOR ME (i looked into it already)

Thanks

20. Yahoo!Man

Yahoo!Man Banned

My Phone:
    Nokia 1260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless (TDMA) - Free2Go Wireless
    HELP!!! ME

READ POST BELOW

I AM THINKING ABOUT WAITING ATT WIRELESS FREE2GO OUT UNTIL THE UPGRADE TO GSM (if in the near future)

I DON'T MIND PAYING FOR A NEW PHONE JUST GET ME OUT OF THIS "SERVICE" THEY CALL TDMA... it is like heck (u no)

I am either on no service, one bar att home, 1 bar - 2 bars Roam Digital and somtime Analog (which i never can connect) on Cingular's TDMA network or i have no service

IF THEY DO NOT UPGRADE IN THE NEAR FUTURE I AM SWITCHING TO AT&T CORP.'s telecommunications service (as long as it is not TDMA)

PLEASE HELP ME

THANKS

21. foraminal

foraminal New Member

My Phone:
    E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Cingular are bastards of the cell industry. IN July 2005, they have degraded my home area to the point where i can't get any signal. They are slowly turning off the TDMA towers one by one and forcing people to switch to GSM network. I called CS to complained and asked to be released from contract since I can no longer use the phone. They would not even let me out of the contract 1 month early. I had to put up with crapy service and port my number to Verzion. Before I cancelled, I filed a complaint with the FCC on Cingular unfair practice. There should be a class action law suite against Cingular.

Just because they are intergrating their ATT/Cingular GSM network, it doesn't mean you always get better coverage. A friend of mine has GSM Cingular. His service has been degraded recently at the place where he use it the most and got better coverage where he never use it. So its a hit or miss crap shoot with cingular system intergration.