Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

ATT N. Calif. Peak/Off-Peak Calculations

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by KevinJames, Nov 21, 2001.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I recently opened up a can of worms by mentioning that when I place calls that span calling periods (peak, off-peak), AT&T Wireless split the charge for the minutes in the appropriate period. Other posters responded that I must be mistaken. Tonight on the way home, I called AT&T customer service and asked about this....

The answer from customer service was consistent with what I had heard before (and what seems to have been my experience all these years). I am charged for the period that the current minute of the call took place in.

Example: My current rate plan starts off-peak at 8PM. Lets say I start a call at 7:57PM and talk for 8 minutes, ending the call at 8:05PM. AT&T, in my service area, would charge me 3 minutes of peak time and 5 minutes of off-peak time.

Some Verizon subscribers posted that Verizon doesn't handle the call that way. They indicated that Verizon would charge the whole call as peak usage. Whether this is true or not, I don't know. I wasn't a subscriber with them long enough to tell and all the calls I made while with them initiated and terminated in the same period (peak or off-peak).

I also do not know if this billing practice is standard across all of AT&T's markets. I only know what it is in my area.

Regarding the spreadsheet I mentioned have developed, I refined it to handle calls spanning two periods. It is available for the asking.

Kevin

2. Guest

Guest Guest

It's different for each provider Kevin but as far as I know only Sprint PCS does it a different way for example this was from Sprint PCS's website.

Night & Weekend Minutes can be used Monday through Thursday, 9pm - 7am, and Friday 9pm through Monday 7am. Calls are rated based on start time. For example, if a call begins at 8:55pm, and ends at 9:05pm, it does not qualify for Night & Weekend minutes.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

By the way I am sick of being a guest but everytime I try to sign up it never emails me my password or anything like its suppose to. Grr Sorry guys but I swear one day you will find out my true identidy LOL.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

To answer that yes verizon does charge the same as AT&T so to use the same example of peak starts at 8:00 PM then a call started at 7:56 for 10 minutes would have 4 min of peak and 6 of off peak