Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

ATT GSM

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, May 27, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Can anybody tell me just how good this new ATT gsm system is?
    Is it as good as the European one?
    Thanks
    yul

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Loaded question.

How can anyone compare a system that is full and mature (Europe) to a system that is starting to be deployed (ATT GSM). Come back at the end of 2003 and ask that question. By that time GSM should have been deployed throughout all of ATT's markets. If ATT's current TDMA markets is any indication, I think its GSM coverage will be even more expansive based on whatever roaming agreements might be made with other carriers using the same technology. (The other GSM carriers are Cingular and Voicestream. I am not saying that any agreements yet exist. Surprising news has also come from Verizon's corner indicating possible interest in GSM.

What about right now? For now I am sticking with ATT's TDMA system. Gossip on the boards indicates GSM is coming to California in the next few months. I don't care if it does. Since TDMA is being concurrently supported for a long while, I am not going to be the first kid on the block with GSM. I don't particular need or want internet access on my phone so I'm feeling pretty cozy right now.

3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You can get wireless web on TDMA as well. Cingular and AT&T already have GSM in San Francisco and Los Angeles. By the end of the summer Cingular will launch GSM in NYC in a joint venture with Voicestream. Both AT&T and Cingular are partnering with Voicestream to enhance GSM across all 50 states but that's still in its infancy. Let's wait a few years.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

Really, a few years?
    I am currently with ATT, I live in NYC and let me tell you the service is less than adequate. They are planning to launch GSM here in the next two months and I was planning to switch to it. Should I not?
    My experience with GSM in Euro. has been fantastic but I know they've also had it for a long time.
    Thanks
    yul

5. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Bobo,

I don't think ATT SF has GSM yet. Where did you see that?

kevin

6. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I thought I read that in howard-forums.com. I might have misunderstood what I read. My apologies if I misinformed anyone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

believe me, ATT GSM is not out in San Francisco, CA or Oakland, CA yet.. u dont know how bad i wanted ATT GSM in the bayarea..
    called ATT about a week ago, they said Sept or Oct for ATT GSM in san francisco, ca area..

ken

8. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Yes, that sounds about right. I have read that ATT is really pushing hard to get the Bay Area on-line with GSM.

But why do you "want it so bad(ly)"? What does GSM do for you that you can't do now with TDMA?

9. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    sim card technology!

Faster web access!

Jack

10. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If you need all the goodies, why not wait for G3 then?
    Let me tell you something else, in Europe GSM is as old as TDMA here so your wonderful experience in EU with GSM will not be as wonderful here. GSM is still struggling to cover more than just metro areas in this country.
    Your good experience with GSM has nothing to do with the technology itself, it has to do with how mature and well engineered the system is. For what I've read, GSM and TDMA are almost the same. The difference is that TDMA uses narrower time slots than GSM so the sound quality may not be as good. Also, GSM can send data faster than TDMA. Other than that, coveragewise depends on how the system is built.
    If you ask me, for the average user, its is more important the coverage area and the ability to use your phone where you need it than anything else.