Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

ATT GSM in York/Harrisburg, PA. users ?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by PADutchman, May 27, 2003.

1. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

In an attempt to make an educated provider decision, I would like to hear from anyone pro/con who is using ATT GSM/ Next Gen. service in my area; York/Lancaster/Harrisburg, surrounding areas.

I posted a similar message regarding T mob., and received some welcome input. I see people using it here (the small Nokias that ATT pushed real hard about 6 months ago - GSM only) so it must be working. My question is, how well ?

Also, I know the TDMA to GSM conversion is underway. Does anyone have any accurate intelligence as to when this will be complete or close to ? GSM is calling me as it seems that it may have better quality for voice. T mob 1900 MHZ system, although in place for awhile, concerns me for coverage a bit, due to the propagation characteristics of 1900 MHZ radio. ATT's I think, mostly running 850 MHZ or so, so they'd have the coverage. I can live with some "dead areas" as long as I know the conversion process is reasonably aggressive. In fact, it'd be kind of fun to watch it grow.

Thank you

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Scalici26

Scalici26 Senior Member

I to once choose to go with a provider just because they have cool Nokia phones, but i got burned...lol.

I would say give ATT GSM a try. Use their 15 day trial period and go to places where you will mostly use the phone and see how the service is. If you like it, the continue the service.

3. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

Apparently few are using it. Suppose that answers my question.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. NYCDru

NYCDru Sprint Newbie

My Phone:
    Motrola V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Verizon(former), ATT(former),
    1.) Few in your area that are on this forum may be using it.

2.) ATT i belive has a 30 day return policy on GSM phones.

3.) ATT phones are locked to ATT and ATT will not unlock it for you.

5. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

Thank you. Which wohld I guess mean, that it would ONLY work on ATT's GSM system, and not "roam" on others, even if tri band, like T mob or Cingular.

That seems like the typical arrogance of ATT that I experienced before, which is what at least partly keeps me away from them now.

6. ChadS

ChadS Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    No, unlocking and roaming are separate things. Having a phone unlocked means that if you ever switch to another GSM carrier you can take the phone with you. In other words, it is unlocked to accept SIM cards from other providers. Roaming has nothing to do with the phone being unlocked. It depends entirely on the roaming agreements of AT&T. If AT&T and T-Mobile or Cingular sign a roaming agreement for a specific market then your phone will work there even though it is still locked to AT&T (the SIM card that is). The only reasons you would want to have your phone unlocked would be to take it to another carrier or if you travel overseas and wanted to purchase and use a local pre-paid SIM card.

7. Independent

Independent New Member

See earlier topic, "Verizon or Nextel".

Finishing my third, and final year with AT&T wireless.
    Work directly in and around the area in question.
    I find too many reception problems, too many dropped calls, especially when going thru seams.

I certainly don't have the cell knowledge others have on this site. BUTT, have experienced enough of AT&T's arrogance as so aptly put by PA Dutchman.

Sometime ago, AT&T lost a class action lawsuit over their advertised signal(not pay plan) coverage.
    Wife got a letter from the attorney. She spends about $50/month.

I NEVER got a letter(seperate business accounts), am still trying to get my $$$, and over the last three years have spent over $3,000 with AT&T phones & systems.
    What's even worse, is we own stock in the stupid company.
    Feel like I'm paying to screw myself.

Stood in an AT&T store, saw a nurse with a new Verizon v60 phone like one of mine. Sked her about quality of calls, etc. She told me she had AT&T, switched to Verizon, AT&T 'bought' her back.
    But she had so much trouble, she went back to Verizon, and was in the store with her Mother In Law.

8. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

Thank you all for the input. I actually like Cingular in many ways, they have been good to / for me, but, thier network in my area of PA is very sparse.

I'm going to VZN or T mob - not sure yet.